Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demogogue

• Other, describe

• Total voters

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Every Negro in America and around the world is familiar with perhaps Alabama's most famous or infamous governor George Wallace. Much has been and probably will be made about his place in history and a fundamental question that has many different answers, especially here in in Alabama, is rather or not Wallace was truely racist. What do you think? (esp. the Alabama natives,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and Mak B :D )

I don't buy his repenting in his last days nor what was shown of him in the movie about his life. Racism shaped politics in Alabama and then politics fueled the racism. George Wallace was not a "product of the times"(which would make him a victim instead of the person he was), but a sad visual of the feelings of the masses of whites in our state. Those feelings are still present today, they just gloss them over with a smile.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Reminds me of Ross Barnett...

George Wallace (Democrat) was as racist as they came, he reminds me of Mississippi Gov. Ross Barnett (Democrat) that declared that a black man (James Meredith) would never enroll in Mississippi's most prestigous University (Ole Miss)...
Of course you may well know it took the National Guard and Presidential intervention for him to attend....

When James Meridith (First Black man to attend Ole Miss)accompanied along with 2 armed white Federal Troops as they went to the front of the steps of the admissions office, then Gov. Ross Barnett (Democrat) greeted them with these words.....
"NOW WHICH ONE OF YOU GENTLEMEN IS MR. MEREDITH?"
Being a racist sarcastic bastard in the process!!!

BTW, James Meredith is a member along with myself in the Mississippi Republican Party( yeah, I see him in the meetings) ...as a matter of fact he ran for Mayor of Jackson a few years ago as a Republican.....I just had to throw that jab in to you Liberals.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: Reminds me of Ross Barnett...

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
George Wallace (Democrat) was as racist as they came, he reminds me of Mississippi Gov. Ross Barnett (Democrat) that declared that a black man (James Meredith) would never enroll in Mississippi's most prestigous University (Ole Miss)...
Of course you may well know it took the National Guard and Presidential intervention for him to attend....

When James Meridith (First Black man to attend Ole Miss)accompanied along with 2 armed white Federal Troops as they went to the front of the steps of the admissions office, then Gov. Ross Barnett (Democrat) greeted them with these words.....
"NOW WHICH ONE OF YOU GENTLEMEN IS MR. MEREDITH?"
Being a racist sarcastic bastard in the process!!!

BTW, James Meredith is a member along with myself in the Mississippi Republican Party( yeah, I see him in the meetings) ...as a matter of fact he ran for Mayor of Jackson a few years ago as a Republican.....I just had to throw that jab in to you Liberals.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
What was the rationale behind Mr. Meredith's support of David Duke's run for president? There is a saying that states "POLITICS MAKES STRANGE BEDFELLOWS", but I never dreamed he would BED with DUKE.

Re: Re: Reminds me of Ross Barnett...

Originally posted by SU-SU
What was the rationale behind Mr. Meredith's support of David Duke's run for president? There is a saying that states "POLITICS MAKES STRANGE BEDFELLOWS", but I never dreamed he would BED with DUKE.

First of all James Meredith is a lil off his rocker, but I give him his props for what he went through...

He has been shot 3 times, beaten too many times to count during the 60's....

Yeah, when he pulled dat Duke move I was like WTF.......

With all that said, was he a racist like George Wallace?
UCKF NAW!!!!
With all that said, was he a racist like Ross Barnett ?
UCKF NAW!!!!
With all that said, was he a racist like Lester Maddox?
UCKF NAW!!!!

I guess you will have to ask Mr. Meredith about why he supported DUKE...I can give you his contact info if you want to ask him.....
Yeah, he is a lil off, but he is walking history...mabye all those beatings affected the bruthas brain......

Mabye he needed the money....hell, I don't know...
Personally I would love to meet Mr. Duke.....

I would like to introduce him to some of my best friends...Mr. Glock, Mr. Mak-90, and Mr. HK-91

:D :D :D

Re: Re: Re: Reminds me of Ross Barnett...

I guess you will have to ask Mr. Meredith about why he supported DUKE...I can give you his contact info if you want to ask him.....
Yeah, he is a lil off, but he is walking history...mabye all those beatings affected the bruthas brain......

I think the last time Meridith got beat.....he lost all perspective.

Personally I would love to meet Mr. Duke.....
I would like to introduce him to some of my best friends...Mr. Glock, Mr. Mak-90, and Mr. HK-91
:D :D :D

I'd like to come along with you on that meeting....I'd like to introduce him to a familiar piece of southern memorobilia....a rope.:lol::p

Only in Alabama...

...have I heard black folks honestly make an argument for George Wallace. What is wrong with you people? The man was a flat out racist. Now you may believe tha this racist views were fueled by the fact that he was a politician, but aren't politicians supposed to play both sides....hell wallace only played the white side. he didn't give a dayum about you kneegrows. He dogged black people out unlike any. Yet black folks in Bama are always ready to defend him......and as I have heard many black folks say in regards to George Wallce....."He said he was sorry..."!

Yeah he said it, dupped your arses into voting for him again, then turned around and dogged your arses out somemore!

And don't make me get on that Bama legend....The Bear!

Makaho....I am coming to the dark side with you. How do I get in touch with te Black republicans club?

Re: Only in Alabama...

[QUOTE!

Makaho....I am coming to the dark side with you. How do I get in touch with te Black republicans club? [/B][/QUOTE]

Nupe if you recall in Star Wars the Dark Side was the easiest way....Remember when Luke Skywalker asked Obi Wan Kenobi if the Dark Side was stronger....

Obi Wan said, NO...It's easier.. and a faster way, because you let rage rule instead of Logic.

So you can join the Light side, instead of a Light Saber I use a Glock 21 :D :D :D

hmmmm Suge after you get off that "Bama legend....the Bear", I would love for you to get on David Duke or any of the other racist politicians in LA

And brotha Makaho, what's the importance of pointing out Wallace's party? Also
....he reminds me of Mississippi Gov. Ross Barnett (Democrat) that declared that a black man (James Meredith) would never enroll in Mississippi's most prestigous University (Ole Miss)
Kinda sad that you, as a JSU grad, make that statement.
Do you really feel JSU is less prestigious than ole piss?

:smh:

Originally posted by mighty hornet
hmmmm Suge after you get off that "Bama legend....the Bear", I would love for you to get on David Duke or any of the other racist politicians in LA

And brotha Makaho, what's the importance of pointing out Wallace's party? Also

Kinda sad that you, as a JSU grad, make that statement.
Do you really feel JSU is less prestigious than ole piss?

Uhhhh, Bruh first of all Ross Barnett was quoted as saying "A black man will never attend Mississippi's most prestigous University...His words not mine...." Maybe I should have put quotes around it....('' '' '' '' '' ")

If you ever visit the Civil Right's musem in Memphis you can play the quote back during the tour.....

And I pointed out his party cuz I could....freedom of speech thang yanno.....

You should not be so quick to take things out of context Hornet...you are beginning to sound very Liberal.

No, if it was his words, you should have put it in quotes. Conservatives do that sort of thing.

btw, do you know which party David Duke was in?

just asking (since you're so high on party affiliation)

As the man said, I can always find a N to do what I want.

As long as America says

Black General
Black teacher
but will never say Black Power, we have issues.

Responses on Multiple Fronts. (LONG)

On Mak B Commentary:

Contrary to popular belief and many of you, I don't think Wallace was a true racist in the purest sense of the term. I don't think he was as racist as they come. I think Eugene "Bull" Connor was easily more racist than George Wallace. I think the people that were the most racists as they come were/are the people who killed/kill Negroes simply because of race. David Duke and Dave Metzger(not that they killed blacks that I know of,, but they are CONSISTANT in their hatred and disdain for Negroes) are easily more racist than George Wallace. The klansmen that bombed the church in Birmingham were easily more racist than George Wallace. The klansmen that shot the pinktoe between Selma and Montgomery were easily more racist.

This does not, however, excuse the rhetoric that Wallace was running that incouraged many in the day to kill Negroes and fight to maintain segregation, etc. Wallace will have to answer for that as we will all have to answer for decisions we made/make in life.

As for pointing out that Wallace/Barnett et al were democrats, I'd say that ain't really saying much. Look at the time period we are talking about. During that time period ALL politicians in the south were so called "democrats", but here's the catch as I see it (and as many of the most staunch conservatives will acknowledge); Even though Wallace et al were "democrats", "democrats" in the states that constitute the old south were always seperate unto themselves.

If you really examine many of the messages and the most popular themes that launched Wallace to national prominence, you will see that George Wallace LAID THE FOUNDATION for what today is the conservative revolution and popular conservative movement lead by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Micheal Reagan, Savage, Bob Barr, et al,,,, and further more, Wallace opened up the "Solid South" (white old line "democrats") to the current conservative movement. Look at his son and all the former "democrats" in this state now; They are all "republicans",,, the Richard Shelby's et al. Even in Wallace's biographies he lamented the radical "liberalism" of the "democratic" party nationally,,, and that his "democratic" voting base, indeed that of the "solid south" in general, was becoming increasingly more allienated from the national democratic party which is why now in Alabama, and indeed the south, you have so many "bandwagon republican" conservative white voters AND politicians. They used to be "democrats" but switched to "republicans" starting in the 70s. This is well chronicled in resent political history.

So to make a point that Wallace was a "democrat" back then means little to nothing to me; hell, everybody and their momma was democrats but "democrats" in the south was totally different from the interpretation of "democrat/liberal" today and you know it man. No way you can try to equate Wallace back then with "liberals" of today. You may be able to do so when Wallace "switced" in is waning years upon realizing that he could not get re-elected unless he gave consessions to the increasingly voting Negro constituency in Alabama.

Couple of other items; actually there were more appointments of black supreme court justices et al political officials in Alabama on Wallaces watch than any other governor. That's a bit misleading also because Wallace served so long and much of the upheaval was during his reign and much was because of law suites filed and pursued by the Alabama Democratic Conference (the Negro arm of the "democratic" party in Alabama that has fought for equal rights in Alabama since the 60s,, which the true "conservative/republican" establishment can't stand to this very day.)

Although I don't think he is a true racist,,, if you insist on him being a true racist,,, then I'd say he was the foundation of the current day conservative movement because he was saying what the conservative movement is say today BACK IN THE 50S AND 60S. I believe Wallace was a very smart, shrude, egotistical politician that did whatever it took to get re-elected.

On Suge Commentary:

The "only in Alabama" rhetoric is totally worthless. The history of Alabama and Mississippi being the oafs of black folk and all that other non-sense is well documented. I filter all that noise out and address central issues, not perceptions and stereo-types. We can make those about anybody and any place.

I would stop short of sitting up here and trying to rationalize voting for Wallace as being something that Negroes were doing because Wallace was the saviour. I would simply say that, true to form, Wallace was a bandwagoner that adapted to his "surroundings" and was apparantly very good at it. It was a quid pro quo arrangement at best due to the rise in influence of the all-black Alabama Democratic Conference and Wallace wanting to stay in office.

If you go back and look (also going back to Mak B comments), in Wallaces last couple of successful runs as governor, Negroes did indeed play a major royal, but that was because so many of his former white, TRUE hardcore "conservative" constituency from the 60s were flocking to the republican party in droves. This is a point of pride to current day conservative talk show hosts. Many "true conservatives" and questionably racist elements here in Alabama blasted Wallace for being a "turncoat" "liberal" in his last years.

No, if it was his words, you should have put it in quotes. Conservatives do that sort of thing.

btw, do you know which party David Duke was in?

just asking (since you're so high on party affiliation)

David Duke claims to be a Republican......
Nathahan Bedford Forest was a Democrat.....
So WTF is your point....

If enough Fuka Muhtas registerd to vote in LA. as they should in MS. then a beeotch like David Duke would not have been elected to sheeeot in the first place ....

We have racist bastards running for sheeeeot all the time in MS. we just don't elect them....

BTW read a few threads back....I exercise my 2nd amendment rights....and would like to do so with David Duke.....

What yo Liberal no gun owning arse gonna do when it comes time to roll???

Get a Late PASS !!!!!!

I will comment more Bartram's commentary later. But I saw Wallace primarily as an opportunist. As far as politicians who turned the south and a large part of the midwest to be more republican, I point to Hoover (yes him), Goldwater and Nixon. I say that they help set the tone in the south going republican than Wallace. They also help set the stage for Reagan. I will explain later.

Let me add that Meredith also supported N.C. Senator Jesse Helms. ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
EB, I would still have to go with Wallace,,,

On one of your comments, yes, Wallace was the consumate opportunist.

To your other points, the difference that I see is Wallace was a TRUE SOUTHERNER that southern whites of the era identified with infinitely more easily than a Hoover/Nixon/Goldwater. They did not hail from the geographical deep south or the Census Burea south for that matter(excpet E J Hoover from DC), nor the ideological "solid south" like a George Wallace did. George Wallace was a master of oratory; along the lines to a lesser extent of a Hitler. He had charisma and that good ole-fashioned stump-speech ability to connect with the (white, "conservative") crowds of the era. He was a classic populist just like that early 19th century governor of Louisana except race was the centerpiece of his platform early on because that was one of the top three or four issues of the day and that was what the VOTERS, virtually all of whom were "democratic" "solid south" "conservatives", demanded.

He and Nixon/Goldwater/Hoover came along together and I would concure that Nixon saw Wallace as a major threat because Wallace was "winning the hearts and minds" of not only staunch, hardcore southern whites, but "conservatives" all across the nation. Wallace was an "outsider" at the time PRECISELY because he was a "democrat",,, BUT,,, he was from the South, which meant he WAS NOT a "democrat" like those in, say, Berkley California or the big cities up north. He had the exact same views as the "conservatives" outside the south, except that his views were interlaced with the RHETORIC of the core beliefs of segregation/jim crow of the south.

No question, in my opinion, that Wallace galvanized the "conservative south" and laid the foundation for modern day "conservatism" among the talk shows and especially in the voting patterns and party affiliations of the south.

David Duke claims to be a Republican......
Nathahan Bedford Forest was a Democrat.....
So WTF is your point....
When David Duke ran for office in LA, what party

If enough Fuka Muhtas registerd to vote in LA. as they should in MS. then a beeotch like David Duke would not have been elected to sheeeot in the first place ....

We have racist bastards running for sheeeeot all the time in MS. we just don't elect them....

BTW read a few threads back....I exercise my 2nd amendment rights....and would like to do so with David Duke.....

What yo Liberal no gun owning arse gonna do when it comes time to roll???

Get a Late PASS !!!!!!

LMAO@you!!!

It's easy to see that you are unable to have any intelligent dialogue. You just resort to your usual generalities, ASSumptions, and labeling, while blindly accepting any and everything related to the Republican Party and denouncing any and everything related to the Democratic Party.
we have racist bastards running for sheeeeot all the time in MS. we just don't elect them...
I just hope you are not so blinded that you actually believe that. smh@the notion that an educated brotha would think that there are no racist politicians in his deep south state. :(

btw, how do you know I don't own a gun? how do you know if I have conservative or liberal views? how do you know if I consider myself a Democrat, Republican, or a member of any political party?

Bartram, you made some good points.

LMAO@you!!!

It's easy to see that you are unable to have any intelligent dialogue. You just resort to your usual generalities, ASSumptions, and labeling, while blindly accepting any and everything related to the Republican Party and denouncing any and everything related to the Democratic Party.

I just hope you are not so blinded that you actually believe that. smh@the notion that an educated brotha would think that there are no racist politicians in his deep south state. :(

btw, how do you know I don't own a gun? how do you know if I have conservative or liberal views? how do you know if I consider myself a Democrat, Republican, or a member of any political party?

Bartram, you made some good points.

I engage in intelligent dialogue on a daily basis, whatever you interpret as intelligent is in your own mind.

I don't care what you own, I don't even care about your views...
Again you adress so called generalities with even more generalities.......and based on statistics you probably only have a 25% chance of being a voter in the first place....
Again I don't care what you do....

BTW, What did you do with your Tax Reconcilliation check from Bush? I suggest that if you got one, then donate it to the Democratic party, since you have been extremely Liberal in your postings...

Again, that late PASS still applies....

Season's Greetings

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!
HAPPY HANUKAH !!!!!
RAMADAN MUBARAK !!!!
HAPPY KWANZAA !!!!!!
FELIZ NAVIDAD !!!!!!!

Bartram,
You made some good points, and I understand. I will post more and will add some other names. But Wallace had a lot of influence with his presidential runs.

Wallace and Political Views.

Being born and raised in Alabama, being a staunch advocate of economic development and having suffered through the fallout of what Wallace and his ilk did to forever ruin the image of this state and stunt the growth of this state, I should be the last one to say anything about Wallace that's not blasphemous, but given the history of where and by whom he was raised and the inconsistancies during his administrations (for example, Wallace was the primary force behind creating the technical/trade school and Jr College system in Alabama which was considered at the time a "populist"/liberal cause. He was also tutored early on by one of Alabama's relatively "progressive/liberal" governors "Big Jim" Folsom. It was not until Patterson, the open segregationist candidate, whipped Wallace's arse, the relative moderate candidate, in the governor's election in the 50s that Wallace uttered one of his infamous quotes, "I'll never be out-niggered again.") I would question how he will be remembered in history. That's not to say that I will lose sleep over it. He deserves what he gets because he reaped the benefits of "playing the role" if indeed that is the case. It's just a classic debate in politics and very apro pos given the rise of the conservative/republican party the last 20 years given that, as I would still contend, Wallace was saying EXACTLY what the great conservative leaders of today are saying and professing as the holy grail of morality/politics.

I think Wallace's presidential runs and his whole political personna, even though he ran as a Democrat, paved the way for Reagan and the emergence of the conservative media backlash. It's classic George Wallace if you really analyze it.

B, remember that Georgia had Lester Maddox and the Talmgades (sp??). Eugene was a staunch segregationist, and his son Herman built his early career on segregationist politics. Then Lester ran against Carter in '66 a very segregationist type of a campaign and won the governors race. So we have had our share of conservatives.

People will hate me for say this. As a matter of fact, some will say that I have sold my birthright. But the southern segregationists were smart politicians. Though Wallace ran those conservative campaigns, he has the reputation for appointing Blacks to state government. The same has been said for Maddox. Plus, during Maddox's term, prisons, never a nice vacation spot, actually improved. Understand. I am not saying that the conditions were perfect but just improved. Herman Talmadge built his early career on segregation but is considered the father of the school lunch program. (He was governor before Maddox.) While Eugene Talmadge was probably more of a seg than the others, I would be surprise to find something that would surprise me in his past.

What do I think was the difference between Georgia (and some southern states) and Alabama (and other southern states)? I think that it was public relations. I will not go into it to deep now. But the business leaders in Atlanta did not want the images of Birmingham, Montgomery and Mississippi to come there. Gov. Carl Sanders said that he did not want those images to come to his state either. In a sense they succeed

This brings me back to Wallace. He played in my opinion both sides very well. This is why I called him an opportunist. I will agree with you in that he basically paved the way for Reagan. But I think that in his last few years he regreted (or at least he seemed to be regreting) a lot of his stances. He knew that he was about to meet his maker. As for Lester Maddox, I think that he is still a cold hearted racist and segregationist bigot.

No matter what position one may take on Wallace or Maddox; they developed a mind set in this country that will never be overcome. Everywhere we look their presence is still felt. These individuals were responsible for a large number of black and white Americans to die for a cause they believed in. In my opinion, their practices are why the power will not shift in America.

All politicians talk about education, but when it comes down to it America is failing to Educate it citizens because they are in charge of education. The school boards and major colleges are controlled by White America. In all Black schools we were trained to the highest level possible. There is no way I can ever support any of these politicians for what they did to America and Black people.

EB, that's PRECISELY the point I'm trying to make.

That's exactly what i'm saying about Wallace.

One point that you raise, I believe I alluded to in general about the number of black appointees to state government. Despight Wallace's "avowed segregationist" ploys of the 60s, the state of Alabama saw the largest shift in blacks into state government on his watch and he appointed more black judges and justices in Alabama than any other governor in history.

You also make an excellent point on how Georgia managed their race relations in the 60s. This is a point I trumpet all the time. The only difference between Alabama and Georgia in the 60s(namely Birmingham and Atlanta) is that Georgia/Atlanta had infinitely more intelligent leadership that had a vision and a tenacious will to win the ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT battle in the south. While the rest of the south (namely Birmingham/Alabama) was trying to fight an ideological civil war and finally win, Atlanta was rolling out the red carpet for Delta Airlines, totally redesigning Hartsfield International Airport into the monolift that you know of today, hammering out the details of a new heavy rail MARTA system that separates Atlanta today from the rest of the also-ran metros in the South (save for Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston and possibly Miami). Atlanta was busy devising ways to give blacks the political power while the whites maintained the big business/economic power but to the benefit of the region and state instead of Birmingham or some other southern metro/state.

The fruits of their labor then are clearly evident today; Atlanta about 4M metro population and counting,,,,,, state of Alabama 4.1M finally,,, Birmingham 920K as the snail crawls. But now in Alabama all the Wallaces, the "Bull" Connors and the Pattersons are long dead,,, but the state is still paying the piper for their antics. Sucks for Alabama.

Yes, I would acknowledge that, in no way, is Wallace absolved of the positions he took and the rhetoric he ran which hardline true avoided racists took to heart and acted on in their own interpretation.

Now to the education take. This is the greatest modern day problem in Alabama (,,, other than a worthless arse constitution crafted in 1901 by the large land owners/former plantation owners in rural Alabama but specifically the Black Belt region). This is the racist white Alabamian's last card. They said, yeah, you may have won the desegregation/civil rights question, but I'll be damned if I have to send my kids to school with yours; we'll start our own private schools. ,,,, and they did. and this is why there is no ground swell of support for funding of public education in Alabama. increasingly, people (mainly white) don't want to hear about funding public education because their kids are going to Macon ACADOMY, Wilcox ACADOMY, Montgomery ACADOMY,,, etc.

I bet we won't see no University of Alabama ACADOMY or Auburn University ACADOMY and wholesale abandonment of the state PWCs for private colleges. It's ok to make sure we fund those football programs-UUUUH-I-MEAN their academic programs,,, but when it comes to elementary and high schools across the state,,, "no new taxes! cut the fat! need more accountability! teacher testing!!!"????? Everything but a better funding formula like you have in, say, a North Carolina. But then again, we are a state of relative abject poverty and we can't raise taxes like northern states or California,,, but I just heard a week or so ago that Mississippi now funds their schools better than our top public system here in Alabama which is an afluent suburban system outside of either Birmingham or Huntsville.

It don't too much matter who you have in office in Alabama; education will always suck and be underfunded because doing anything about it other than running the usual rhetoric is political suicide.

Back