Vowels: Legion Field Upper Deck to be torn down. Dome on the way?

Deuce said:
Upper deck at Legion Field closed; Tide may stay away
Thursday, August 19, 2004
MICHAEL TOMBERLIN
News staff writer
Vowels said the SWAC championship has had up to 56,000 fans at Legion Field and doesn't use the upper deck.

So the initial SCG had 56K instead of the 47K initially reported?
So Rudy stole more money that we thought huh?
Well, they might want to get that rusty ass stadium together for JSU in the SCG this year or better yet move the game to Jackson, a city that actually cares about the SWAC and has a top notch facility that is not falling apart damn near killing fans. Its going to be a home game for JSU anyway.

When JSU was in the SCG, the upper deck was used. Not quiet sure if it has been used for the SCG since. GR is sure it wasnt necessary last year.

GR cant believe this is acceptable to most of you.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
mh

There was a lot of room in the enzones mh
GR is not saying that it was packed
GR is not like your fellow statesman that is claiming the stadium is soldout from endzone to enzone.

I just don't see whites moving out of Montgomery in droves. Yeah, I see them complain about different issues, but I haven't noticed them moving out in droves. You got a few moving to Prattville and Millbrook.

The only real reason why public schools in Montgomery are predominately black is because whites and blacks who got enough money are sending their kids to private schools. Keep in mind, the majority (if not all) of the private schools are still located in the city of Montgomery. They are people right now struggling to send their kids to private school in a last ditch effort to keep their kids away from "undesirables".

Honestly, I don't see what has happened to Birmingham happening to Montgomery. The making up of the cities are different. There is absolutely nothing that is attracting people outside of Montgomery except for new small sub divisions. On the other hand, the cities of Bessemer (An amusement park, an outlet mall, and a few new sub-divisions). Hoover (Baron baseball, Riverchase Galleria Mall, several shopping areas, neighborhoods, professional jobs, and huge state of the art high school), and Inverness (exclusive neighborhoods and professional jobs) have venues that attract people to their cities all the time.

Robber said:
Bulldogs and Hornets,

How do y'all think this will affect the Magic City Classic???

Robber,

Even without the upper deck, Legion Field seats 72,000. The largest attendance the MCC has ever had (1991) was 70,200. The average MCC comes in at about 60,000.

Like Killer Bees said, Bama State fans will miss the upper deck the most on those rare occasions when it rains. Other than that, I think removing the upper deck is a good idea. For one thing, the game will look much better on television because you'll be able to see all of the fans, rather than an empty upper deck. Most people watching on television don't realize the the upper deck is actually closed, they just see it as empty.

I'm certain that once the Dome is built, the MCC will be moved there. Personnally, that will be a sad day, because I LOVE Legion Field. As I have stated many times before, a bright, crisp clear day in Legion Field is the best football atmosphere a fan can ask for.

Most Hornets and Bulldogs may disagree, but it wouldn't bother me at all to keep the game at Legion Field, even after the dome is built . . . that is as long as its not raining. :tup:

As I have stated many times before, a bright, crisp clear day in Legion Field is the best football atmosphere a fan can ask for.

Amen

For me personally, the atmosphere of college football in general looks better outdoors (except when it rains).

Deuce said:
I'm certain that once the Dome is built, the MCC will be moved there. Personnally, that will be a sad day, because I LOVE Legion Field. As I have stated many times before, a bright, crisp clear day in Legion Field is the best football atmosphere a fan can ask for.

It's not Memorial but the atmosphere was great for SCG I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Ready
When JSU was in the SCG, the upper deck was used.

The seats in the upper deck also sold for $5.00. If the bands had not been there everyone would have been able to be seated in the lower section easily.

Dear Bartram: I read your very lengthy reply to the Legion Field matter. However, allow me to correctly state some of the things that you may be unclear about. The City of Mobile is landlocked. The City of Montgomery annexed 1700 acres for the Hyundai Plant. Hyundai made their move to Montgomery contingent on being a part of the city. You need to take a look at Montgomery's twenty year growth plan. It might also be helpful for you to go to the Department of Transportation and view the artists rendering for the proposed "Outer Loop Project". And if you have watched public television in Montgomery you may have noticed several plans being implemented for the I-65/Outer Loop Growth Intiative where a new reservoir is being designed. Some plans for the reservoir call for docking, sail boats, and a business park- which will all occur around the Hyundai Plant. There are also plans for additional annexation for the City of Montgomery. The Montgomery Airport, which in the past has not been worth mentioning, has now gained new focus as a national gateway rather than the tiny regional airport that you may be familiar with. You may be interested in viewing the twenty year plan for the Montgomery Airport.

One point worth mentioning is that unlike Birmingham, Montgomery is the seat of city, county, and state government. This fact gives Montgomery more politcal leverage than Birmingham. An example of this is the recent move started in Montgomery for a state-wide tax holiday. Many lawmakers not only work in Montgomery, but also maintain residences in this city.

Montgomery is not close to being landlocked like Birmingham and Mobile are. Communities like Waugh, and Pike Road are made up of mostly farm land. These communities are no comparison to cities like Hoover or Alabaster for example. Montgomery has nearly thirty miles of open land to south of the city just "ripe for the picking". There is a new development planned in East Montgomery called "The Waters", formerly known as "GrangeMoor". The concept behind this plan would create a harbor or seaside-like community rivaling some of the most exclusive areas of affluent coastal Florida. These plans are not just talk, this project is being initiated as we speak.

There's a family none as " The Timberland's " involved in this new and amazing project.
P.S. HORNETSWARM IS BACK!

I guess its a whole side of Montgomery that I havent explored before, even though I lived there for a short time... because I swear I dont remember Montgomery being as beautiful as some are making it out to be.... maybe I was in the "hood" too long while i was there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL, there will also be a new Marriot and Convention center built in downtown Montgomery. The plans called for a sixteen story hotel with fifty more rooms added, this should make the hotel 17-20 stories. The hotel and convention center should be finished in 2007. No, Montgomery isn't Atlanta
but, we have a few Atlanta-thinking people here ready to get the job done.
The old civic center will be torn down to make way for this project.

DAHILL said:
I guess its a whole side of Montgomery that I havent explored before, even though I lived there for a short time... because I swear I dont remember Montgomery being as beautiful as some are making it out to be.... maybe I was in the "hood" too long while i was there.

DAHILL,

Where do you read where people are trying to make Montgomery look so "beautiful"? We're simply letting people know what the conditions are in the Montgomery area, as far as growth and development are concerned.

Montgomery is a nice city - not a perfect city - but NO CITY is perfect. For the record, Montgomery has its beautiful areas, and its not-so-beautiful areas. Show me a city that doesn't. And don't say Huntsville, I've been there.

Deuce said:
DAHILL,

Where do you read where people are trying to make Montgomery look so "beautiful"? We're simply letting people know what the conditions are in the Montgomery area, as far as growth and development are concerned.

Montgomery is a nice city - not a perfect city - but NO CITY is perfect. For the record, Montgomery has its beautiful areas, and its not-so-beautiful areas. Show me a city that doesn't. And don't say Huntsville, I've been there.
this was not a anti montgomery thread... but honestly show me a "not so beautiful area" in Huntsville.... me and Mighty Dog stay on the same street... in what is considered the "bad" part of Huntsville (NW Huntsville)... Tru stays right around the corner in walking distance and its looks like a middle class neighborhood in MOST cities. People here dont even know how much they got it made until they go off somewhere else... So, YES I challenge you to tell me where a "not-so-beautiful" area is in Huntsville.... we dont have no HOODS. If we have 4 murders a year it is considered a 'bad" year for Huntsvlle... I seriously doubt you know anything more about my city than I do... but PLEASE tell me where a "not so beautiful" area is. Why do you think the governor stated that Huntsville is the model city for where EVERY other city in Alabama should be.

Dear Bartram: I read your very lengthy reply to the Legion Field matter. However, allow me to correctly state some of the things that you may be unclear about. The City of Mobile is landlocked. The City of Montgomery annexed 1700 acres for the Hyundai Plant. Hyundai made their move to Montgomery contingent on being a part of the city.

(I?m not unclear about this. I even stated that Montgomery annexed this land, so apparently you didn?t READ my comments well at all. Here?s the EXACT QUOTE,, and you can go back and look it up: I SAID ?Catoma Creek and its wetlands are a natural barrier to Montgomery annexation south other than the current annexation down I-65 to parts of the Hope Hull/Hyundai area.?. So basically on that point you incorrectly assessed what I said as is usually the case for your ilk. I also said, ?They don?t want Montgomery to annex into their area and get the bulk of the spin-off tax revenue,?. You can go back and find that too. AREA is a key word. When Montgomery annexed Hyundai,, they didn?t annex all the land AROUND Hyundai and down the various highways. THIS is the land and potential annexation I?m talking about.)

You need to take a look at Montgomery's twenty year growth plan. It might also be helpful for you to go to the Department of Transportation and view the artists rendering for the proposed "Outer Loop Project".

(extremely HUGE YAWN here my friend. I?ve seen the DOT?s rendering of the outer loop. I've got the first articles and releases on it, know precisely where it is going, have seen the one segment that is under constructions. I?ve been following it every since returning to the state. Bobby Bright is the best thing to happen for a "20 year growth plan", but that won?t mean hits when demographics change as they are doing. Birmingham has grand plans that are just that,, PLANS, stymied by decades of partisan bickering WHICH IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO TELL YALL!!!!! HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SIMPLE PREMISE AS BEING A PROBLEM FOR MONTGOMERY??!!! You people are simply up in arms because you think i'm cracking on Montgomery/ASU or some stupid mess like that. This is strictly an econ devel take,, but I understand,, any time I say something, it's automatically "partisan".)

And if you have watched public television in Montgomery you may have noticed several plans being implemented for the I-65/Outer Loop Growth Intiative where a new reservoir is being designed. Some plans for the reservoir call for docking, sail boats, and a business park- which will all occur around the Hyundai Plant.

(Yeah,,, and you know who is going to have the most say on that ?initiative???? SUBURBS, not Montgomery. What in the heck does inner city Montogmery care about? Apparantly not keeping the neighborhoods clean for example. I worked with an org who got volunteers to pick up trash on Montgomery's streams and creeks. Do you know where we did most of our work? IN SOUTH MONTGOMERY. Do you know who the majority of volunteers were? WHITE PEOPLE NOT FROM THE COMMUNITIES!! The only people there from the black communities in which we were working were ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KIDS FROM THE BLACK SCHOOLS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. so you mean to tell me MOntgomery is going to have some kind of influence on an outer loop initiative when most of the outer loop probably won't be in the Montgomery city limits(yes, around the airport and in east Montgomery, but the outer loop will be much more than the airport and east Montgomery.))

There are also plans for additional annexation for the City of Montgomery.

(OF COARSE!!! Any city has ?PLANS?. It?s making those plans HAPPEN that is the difference. If you don?t think Montgomery is going to see MASSIVE RESISTANCE to additional annexation (other than black areas in south and southwest Montgomery that desperately want to be in the city limits and get city services,,,,, which I?m sure YOU are aware EVEN THAT don?t guarantee that you will get them,,, just ask that community in south/southwest Montgomery,,, I forget the name, but you know where I?m talking about.) you are sadly mistaken.)

The Montgomery Airport, which in the past has not been worth mentioning, has now gained new focus as a national gateway rather than the tiny regional airport that you may be familiar with. You may be interested in viewing the twenty year plan for the Montgomery Airport.

(,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (I know this mug did not sit here and bring up the Montgomery Airport as something spectacular,,,,, this is unbelievable!!! OTFL!!!!!) sir,,,, you were not doing good at all up to this point,,,, now you are clearly exposed as totally not credible. You are joking with the airport take right? Look, I know all about Montgomery?s worthless airport, been following that too. The only airport more worthless than that dump, with more potential, is Birmingham. Listen, Emory Folmar long doomed Montgomery?s airport. All the little face lifts and such going on out their now ARE WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY OVER DUE!!!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! ?national gateway????!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Well,, at least you have a sense of humor. The place IS STILL a tiny regional airport, AND WILL BE INDEFINITELY UNTIL MONTGOMERY RECRUITS MORE JOBS AND BIG TIME INDUSTRY!!!)

One point worth mentioning is that unlike Birmingham, Montgomery is the seat of city, county, and state government. This fact gives Montgomery more politcal leverage than Birmingham. An example of this is the recent move started in Montgomery for a state-wide tax holiday. Many lawmakers not only work in Montgomery, but also maintain residences in this city.

(this point IS NOT worth mentioning, give me a break.,,,, sir,,,, THIS IS PRECISELY WHY MONTGOMERY AIN?T DONE HITS OVER THE YEARS,,, BECAUSE THE CITY IS THE SEAT OF COUNTY AND STATE GOVERNMENT AND HAVE RESTED ON ITS LORALS,, and Maxwell/Gunter AFB!!!!! Political Leverage???!!!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!! ALL THAT STUPID-A??POLITICAL LEVERAGE? THAT YOU SPEAK OF HAS BEEN NEUTRALIZED BY MORONIC BATTLES BETWEEN BLACK AND WHITE POLITICIANS IN MONTGOMERY FOR 4-5 DECADES!!!!!!! How in the ellh can you profess Montgomery has ?political leverage? when it took you up to the last 2-7 years TO GET SIMPLE STUPID-ARSE DRAFT BEER(other than some stupid law allowing you to have draft beer if you brew it on-sight a la The Brew Pub), SUNDAY ALCOHOL SALES, EVEN SIMPLE SALES AT RESTARAUNTS ON SUNDAY (only after 12 or 1 mind you)????!!!!! Political leverage,,, you make me wanna VOMIT!!! Again you crash and burn on that non-sense. So what if these baphoons maintain residences in Montgomery??? The only morons that have any allegiance to Montgomery are Alvin Holmes, Joe Reed, what, Knight, and a few of the white guys who are die-hard Montgomerians. Nobody (especially white) else in the state give a rat?s arse about Montgomery,,, other than its civil war history/heritage. How in the world can you even sit up here and say that and believe it with a straight face??!!!)

Montgomery is not close to being landlocked like Birmingham and Mobile are. Communities like Waugh, and Pike Road are made up of mostly farm land. These communities are no comparison to cities like Hoover or Alabaster for example.

(well duh?? And how in the world do you think Hoover and Alabaster have become the cities they are???!!!!! PLENTY OF CHEAP UNDEVELOPED LAND!!!!!! This is just unbelievable the stuff coming from these people. )

Montgomery has nearly thirty miles of open land to south of the city just "ripe for the picking". There is a new development planned in East Montgomery called "The Waters", formerly known as "GrangeMoor". The concept behind this plan would create a harbor or seaside-like community rivaling some of the most exclusive areas of affluent coastal Florida. These plans are not just talk, this project is being initiated as we speak.

(sir,,, what in the he?are you talking about ?a hrbor or seaside-like community? in east Montgomery??????????????? Perhaps you mean downtown on the river. This mess sounds about as ridiculous as this dope Larry Langford in Birmingham?s proposal for a harbor in downtown Birmingham by damming Village Creek. Please forward a link to the story on that one my man.

Anyway,, lets humor you on that one; I guess you totally blow off what I said about east Montgomery (which is understandable); East Montgomery kicked around DE-ANNEXING and forming their own city. Secondly, all that ?thirty miles of open land to the south of the city just ripe for the picking? is for whoever gets to it first; Pike Road, Snowdoun or Montgomery, which depends on what the land owners want to do with it. Who are the land owners,,,,, WHITE FARMERS ABOUT 95-98%!!!!! As time goes on and the demographics of Montgomery, especially the city government, change they are not going to want to be annexed by Montgomery is one of the main points of my diatribe which you people will not address!!! It is far from a given that is going to be Annexed into Montgomery.)

There's a family none as " The Timberland's " involved in this new and amazing project.

(yeah well there?s a demographic that OWNS VIRTUALLY ALL THE BUSINESSES in Alabama known as ?white folk? and they are not too high on having a bunch of bickering mostly black politicians (especially liberals) drunk on political power trying to tax everybody and everything to death telling them how to run their cities, where to live, what their schools should look like and teach, on and on infinitum!! I believe that general demographic will easily TRUMP your ?Timberland?s? family.

And to Deuce or whoever on the ?STUNG? brilliant take,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

)

P.S. HORNETSWARM IS BACK!

Bartram,

As usual, :rolleyes: .

DAHILL,

How in the "L" can I show you an unattractive area of Huntsville? I don't walk around with pictures of Huntsville in my shirt pocket, and I don't know the names of the crappy looking areas I have seen there. :smh:

Deuce said:
and I don't know the names of the crappy looking areas I have seen there. :smh:

I know you dont because WE DONT HAVE ANY...our projects look like apartments.

ummm Bartram,
It's really not necessary for you to be as crass as you are to make a point.

ummm DAHILL,
ANY city has some dirt. Please stop trying to pretend that Huntsville doesn't.

mighty hornet said:
ummm Bartram,
It's really not necessary for you to be as crass as you are to make a point.

ummm DAHILL,
ANY city has some dirt. Please stop trying to pretend that Huntsville doesn't.

Tell me where... he said he SAW it... all I ask is where... he will never give me an answer because he knows it isnt true. Can I get an area??? As many posters from other schools that LIVE in Huntsville, they would have said something in this thread IF what you were saying is true... but we all know it isnt. We dont have any slums, ghettos, poverty living here. I feel safe ANYWHERE in my city.

Family Fight between the bammas...........Huntsville -vs- Montgomery. :emlaugh: :emlaugh: ................. Just kidding ... could not resist. :licky:

ummm DAHILL,
So, since he can't name the area, you're actually gonna say that Huntsville doesn't have any dirt. Man, get real. :smh:

Heck, I've been to Huntsville too. What I saw wasn't all upscale either.

Back