Unhappy Smith stays away from Jaguars' camp

Blacknbengal

Unhappy Smith stays away from Jaguars' camp

Former JSU star says team not keeping promises made
By Eddie Pells
The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. ? The Jacksonville Jaguars were hoping for a fresh start. Instead, they opened training camp with a big problem.

Five-time Pro Bowl selection Jimmy Smith was a holdout Thursday when the Jaguars reported for camp.

Smith feels he's underpaid and says the Jaguars haven't made good on past promises to compensate him for what he is ? the most productive receiver in the NFL over the past five years.

"I'm not asking to be the top-paid receiver, but it's embarrassing," said Smith, a former Jackson State receiver scheduled to make $2.75 million this season. "Last year, promises were made by management. After last season, I wanted to see if they would keep that promise."

While Smith was a holdout, first-round draft pick John Henderson signed his contract Thursday ? a five-year, $10 million deal with a $6.7 million signing bonus to be split over two seasons. It means Smith was the only one missing from meetings on the first day of camp.

The promises Smith refers to are those he says the Jaguars made when he repeatedly agreed to restructure his contract to help the team deal with its salary-cap problems.

In 1999, Smith signed a five-year contract extension worth $19 million. Since then, he has extended his deal through 2006 in moves to help the Jaguars deal with the cap. He has gotten slight raises in those renegotiations, but still isn't among the 15 highest-paid receivers in the league.

Smith has more catches (479) and receiving yards (6,728) than any receiver in the league over the last five seasons.

"I don't want to do this, but I'm forced to do it," he said. "I have no other options."

Jaguars contract negotiator Paul Vance says the team has been talking to Smith and his agent, Gary Uberstine, since February, and the Jaguars have offered Smith a raise.

"Apparently, Jimmy feels he hasn't been offered enough," Vance said. "I've talked to the agent every day."

Uberstine did not return calls.

Coughlin said he didn't know of any promises that were made to Smith when he renegotiated his deals for salary-cap reasons.

Several teammates said they understand Smith's position.

"I really think he's very much underpaid," Fred Taylor said. "You've got guys who can't carry his shoulder pads to the field who are getting way more than he's getting. It's sick when you think about it."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Am I missing something here? Are you all saying that only guys from major colleges can stay away from training camp?

I know a brother who has a superbowl ring for the superbowl champions Dallas Cowboys. He told me on some teamsyou do have that bullsh!t politics of big colleges vs small colleges from some coaches but not all pro coaches. That was just an interesting point from a brotha who played under Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson. Mostly though, he said if you are above an average PRO athlete, a player from a small school will not face that type of politics. Basically he said players from small schools better show more hustle than say players from big schools. He also better have a DAMN GOOD AGENT THAT WILL FIGHT FOR YA in NEGOTIATIONS.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the fact the Jimmy is only being paid $275,000 this year. With his track record and considering his restructuring, you'd think they'd be willing to shell out some cash.

He needs a new agent. He should be getting better pay and should be dealt with with more respect.

It's not the yearly salary that counts, but the amount of the contract that is important. The bulk of the money in most large NFL contract is in the signing bonuses. Players like it that way because NFL contracts are not guaranteed so you get most of the money up front.

Originally posted by BIGCAT3000
Jimmy is only being paid $275,000 this year.

Do you mean $2.75 million? The article says that's what he is scheduled to make next season.

Plus, the league minimum is 400k. That's what Aaron Brooks is making and he's subsequently holding out of training camp.

Prodigy
Yeah that's what I meant. Either way he's underpaid.

I think the veteran minimum is $425K. It was just increased about a year ago.

SOLO
Wasn't the contract worth $19MM over 5 yrs? If so then that sucks too. I knopw that in football the guranteed portion is usually the signing bonus but Jimmy's numbers warrant a better deal. If it was Brunnell his deal would've been re-worked by now.

Back