U.S. May Skip U.N. Racism Conference

If the US paid reparations for the

• Send significant funding to HBCUs.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Send significant funding to African American organizations such as the NAACP, UNCF, and Rainbow Coal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Send significant funds to heavily populated African American Cities.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay African countries monies, products or services the same way US assists European Countries.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Give us our forty acres and a mule.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

b8sball17

U.S. May Skip U.N. Racism Conference

By Steve Holland
Reuters

WASHINGTON (July 27) - The United States will boycott a U.N. conference on race if planners insist on including discussions of equating Zionism with racism and reparations for slavery, the White House said on Friday.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said President George W. Bush ''very much wants'' the United States to be represented at the Durban, South Africa, conference but will not send envoys to it if the two items are on the agenda.

The Bush administration was presenting its position to dozens of Washington-based ambassadors on Friday to try to keep the two topics off the conference agenda.

The United Nations Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance from Aug. 31 to Sept. 7, has been billed as a turning point in the international fight against racism.

The State Department has already objected to, among other things, draft language from conference planners that Israeli government policies are racist and constitute a new form of apartheid.

Fleischer said a group of ''third world nations'' was trying to ''hijack'' the conference by including discussions about whether Zionism in Israel, seen by Arabs as the Jewish state's ongoing effort to repress Palestinians, amounts to racism.

''This would be a throwback to a position that was rejected 10 years ago by the international community if this conference takes this unwise step,'' Fleischer said.

NO REPARATIONS FOR SLAVERY

Fleischer said Bush had adopted former President Bill Clinton's position opposing reparations for slavery.

''This conference should be focused on the future on combating racism that exists in the world today,'' he said. He said it was wrong to ''try to revisit a very tangled issue, that gets into complications such as what West African nations that were involved in the slave trade should pay reparations.''

African nations have disagreed with the United States over reparations. Besides a strongly worded condemnation of the slave trade, which flourished between Africa and the Americas for over two hundred years until early in the 19th century, some African states are looking for a financial settlement.

The U.S. comments amounted to a firm message to Mary Robinson, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights and the main organizer of the racism conference.

Robinson will open the final round of meetings to discuss the agenda for the Durban conference on Monday in Geneva.

Robinson warned Arab states on Friday that next month's conference would fail if they insisted on trying to put Zionism on the agenda.

''If there is an attempt to revive the idea of Zionism as racism we will not have a successful conference,'' Robinson told reporters in Geneva ahead of the agenda discussions.

She conceded that negotiators had their work cut out to agree a draft text to take to the conference.

Asked why the United States would forfeit the chance to argue its case whether the language was included or not, Fleischer said:

''The United States stands on the side of what is right. And the United States stands on the side of principle. And the United States can stand on the side of making certain that a variety of third world nations do not hijack a conference that should be aimed at combating racism and under the guise of combating racism turn this into a conference that itself smacks of anti-Semitism.''

Reut12:14 07-27-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I hope you are not shocked!

America has shown that she does not actively want to repent for her sins. She has shown that she cares more about what happened to a people thousands of miles away, than those in her mists that she helped to destroy.(Slaves were marched in front of the White House on the way to the slave market.)
BEHOLD THAT MYSTERY BABYLON.

The AU(former OAU) is in the process of discussing dual citizenship for those Africans in the diaspora. Many African countries have already decided to give land and some are even taking land from the Europeans in their countries.

You can't even whisper anything against the Jews, the U.S. government will jump all over you! According to the government The jews don't do anything wrong, but they show us in a negative light constantly! The Jews owe us too!

The U.S. was one of the major countries that pressured Germany to give reparations to the Jews! The U.S. rebuilt Japan and protected it after the atomic bombings!
DAYUM HYPOCRITES!

C. POWELL NEEDS TO STAND UP AND BE A BLACK MAN!

Those were excellent points AD. Consider this. When he went on his trip to Africa, President Clinton got a ton of criticism when he apologized to the Africans for slavery. NOTE! He got a lot of criticism for just apologizing for the institution of slavery!

I maybe wrong. But an African-American can have dual citizenship in the U.S. and a few African countries.

You are absolutely right about Powell.

I maybe wrong. But an African-American can have dual citizenship in the U.S. and a few African countries.

Hey EB,

Are you for real with that above statement. I can trace my roots to the West Coast of Ghana. You got any literature on that policy. Appreciate it.

b8sball17, I had better check that to make sure. But I have heard and read about some West African countries at least considering doing it. I will try to do some research. It is one of those things that is not broadcast the loudest.

Send significant funding to African American organizations such as the NAACP, UNCF, and Rainbow Coalition.--I don't trust Jesse. NAACP maybe.....I'm just tired of the NAACP boycotting states because of flags when young black children are getting sentenced 25 years to life. The UNCF would be a good choice.

Send significant funds to heavily populated African American Cities.--This leaves out Rural heavily populated black communities like Grambling.

Pay African countries monies, products or services the same way US assists European Countries.--Why give my hard earned tax paid money to Africa when most Africans don't like Black Americans anyway. Keep the money in America.

Give us our forty acres and a mule.--Not enough land

show me the money

I think America owes any decendant of slaves reparations. The monies should cater to economic and social policies. We need our own fortune 500 companies and we need control of our own neighborhoods. I'm sick of going to Jew Stores in black communities to buy a beer and black and mild. I could give that $3 to a black man.

Until we get rid of poverty and the slave mentality we are going to be fussing and begging. When you look at former cases of reparations: japanese, native americans, and jews. I definitely see where this movement could take hold and be won.

Back