Tuskegee's Comegy takes job at Norfolk State

cetmo

CIO
Comegy takes job at Norfolk State

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

Tuskegee University Head Football Coach Rick Comegy, who has led Tuskegee to dominance in its NCAA Division II conference over the last seven years, will become head football coach at Norfolk State University.
-- Advertiser

Rick Comegy made it official Wednesday morning.

After seven successful seasons, he's leaving Tuskegee University to take over as the new head coach at Division I-AA Norfolk State.

Comegy had a 64-17 record in seven seasons at Tuskegee, including an undefeated season and Black College national championship in 2000. In the past three seasons, the Golden Tigers have lost just two games and are currently ranked No. 1 in the Sheridan black college poll.

"I feel as if I've accomplished every goal that I set out to accomplish (at Tuskegee)," Comegy said at a press conference in the Norfolk State athletic complex. "It's time to move on."

Norfolk State athletic director Orby Moss said Comegy was always his No. 1 choice for the job.

"We feel as if we've got an excellent coach in Rick Comegy," said Moss. "He had all the qualifications we were looking for in a head coach. He was our first choice. His record as a head coach speaks for itself."

One of Comegy's main reasons for leaving Tuskegee, according to Moss, was the fact that Tuskegee president Benjamin Payton refused to reschedule the Turkey Day Classic, which matches Tuskegee and Alabama State University on Thanksgiving Day, so the Golden Tigers could participate in the Division II playoffs.

"He felt as if their refusal to reschedule that game left him with nothing else to prove there," said Moss. "There was nothing left for him to attain. If they had agreed to change things around and go to the playoffs, things might have worked out differently. I got the feeling that played a big part in his decision to leave."

Comegy's decision created a partylike atmosphere around the Norfolk State athletic complex Wednesday afternoon, according to assistant athletic director Craig Cotton.

"We are all very excited here about getting a coach the caliber of Rick Comegy," Cotton said. "It's a good day around here."

Coach Rick Comegy, center, talks with player Jordan Brumbaugh as the Golden Tigers' offensive line coach, Wayne Campbell, left, listens at the Tuskegee Football Fan Day in August.

-- Advertiser

At Tuskegee, of course, the mood was very different.

"We're all just trying to figure out when this all started to develop," sports information director Arnold Houston said. "It must have been sudden because, to my knowledge, the president's office hasn't even received official word from Comegy or Norfolk and it's, what, 2 p.m. now?"

However, Houston said he didn't get the feeling that Tuskegee officials were shocked by Comegy's departure.

"I think most everybody had an idea it was coming," he said. "We all knew there was a good possibility coach Comegy would be leaving."

Comegy's exit also leaves Tuskegee without an athletic director, since he also held that position. That means all matters relating to football are now handled by Payton.

Payton was traveling Wednesday, according to Lacy Ward, vice president of marketing and communications at Tuskegee, and, therefore, wouldn't have an official comment on the matter until today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh Moon can be reached by phone at (334) 240-0191 or by fax at (334) 261-1586. READER SERVICES

E-MAIL THIS ARTICLE

RICK COMEGY

Family: Wife, Connie. Five children, Marty, Connie, William, Rick and Billy Joe

Record as head coach: 82-42 in 11 seasons

Record at Tuskegee: 64-17 in seven seasons

Resume: Head coach, Norfolk State; head coach, Tuskegee (64-17), 1996-2002; head coach, Central (Ohio) State (18-3), 1994-95; Central State assistant coach, 1992-93; head coach, Cheyney (Pa.) University (0-22), 1990-91

Back