Tuskegee, Grambling go down to final poll

Blacknbengal

Tuskegee, Grambling go down to final poll

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

After a loss to Southern two weeks ago in the Bayou Classic, Grambling State fell to No. 2 in the Sheridan Black College Poll behind Tuskegee.

At the time, it looked as if the loss ended any chance for a second straight black college national championship for the Tigers.

Grambling has one game left against Alabama A&M in the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game. Grambling probably could gain a little ground on the Golden Tigers in the polls with a solid win on Saturday, but Tuskegee thought it could offset most of the damage with a win of over Bowie State in the Pioneer Bowl.

Not anymore. Jericho Communications Media Group, which was the Pioneer Bowl sponsor, was forced to back out due to financial problems and the bowl was canceled.

Without another game for the Golden Tigers, there's a reasonable chance that Grambling could jump back on top with a good showing against AM.

"It's just something we're going to have to deal with," said Tuskegee head coach Rick Comegy. "I don't think it would be right if it happened, but we know that's a possibility."

It's almost the same scenario as last year for the two teams.

After falling to Alabama State in the regular season, Grambling dropped to No. 2 behind Tuskegee, which suffered only an early-season loss to Morehouse. In the SWAC title game, the Tigers knocked off ASU and moved back in front to win the national title.

"We really felt like we deserved that title last year," said Comegy. "We beat Alabama State in our only meeting. We had lost one game in two years at that point."

The problem, according to Grambling head coach Doug Williams, is that the Sheridan poll includes both Division II and Division I-AA schools.

"There should be two different polls for Division II and Division I-AA," he said. "It's two completely different levels. It's not fair to either of us for this to happen."

The reason Williams feels that way is the same reason he believes his team should be No. 1 if it beats AM.

"We have completely different rules up here in I-AA," he said. "And like I've always said, just look at the schedule differences. We play a much tougher schedule on this level than Tuskegee does."

But Comegy notes that Tuskegee does go up a level and play ASU every year.

"I would like to see Grambling go up and play a Division I team and see how they do," said Comegy. "We've beaten Alabama State, which is a good team, four straight years."

It's an argument Williams doesn't buy into.

"A lot of people beat Alabama State this year," he said. "We beat them. Plus, we played teams the same caliber as ASU all year long. Tuskegee was beaten by Albany State. Albany's not gonna win many games on this level. You're trying to compare two different things in this poll."

Having two different polls is something Williams said he's always believed in.

"When I was at Morehouse, I said the same thing," he said. "I always believed that it wasn't fair to have two different levels in the same poll. I believe once coach Comegy leaves Tuskegee and moves up, he'll say the same thing."

For now, however, Comegy believes his team should be national champs.

"If the people at the Sheridan poll come to any other conclusion after that game, I'll have to sit back and wonder," he said. "It's a great poll and I really appreciate what they do. But do you really want a team that was shellacked on national TV (by Southern) as your champion?"

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
well,,, go A&M anyway.

how ironic,, Tuskegee's fate now lies in the hands of A&M. welp, that does not bode well for our black college championship hopes. I believe GSU is going to clean A&Ms clock. No knock against you A&M, but GSU had a good "cleaning out" and recalibration with their bayou classic fiasco. I suspect they will come into Legion Field extremely focused and clicking on all cylinders,, but go A&M anyway. :(

Re: well,,, go A&M anyway.

Originally posted by Bartram
No knock against you A&M, but GSU had a good "cleaning out" and recalibration with their bayou classic fiasco. I suspect they will come into Legion Field extremely focused and clicking on all cylinders,, but go A&M anyway. :(

We look for EVERY team we play to give us their best! This is the last game of the season and both teams have no choice but to leave it all on the field.

Back