Tulane Football Preview

THAMES

Southern Fans. I found this early football preview on Tulane football at www.southerncollegesports.com

TULANE
Probable Wins Southern, Navy, Army
Probable Losses East Carolina, Memphis, Texas, Cincinnati, TCU, Southern Miss
Toss-Ups Houston, LA-Monroe, UAB
Returning Starters Offense: 5?..Defense: 9
Projected Record 4-8 / 2-6
Official Site www.TulaneGreenWave.com
The Green Wave finished the 2001 season with a dismal 3-9 record while winning only one CUSA game. Five offensive and nine defensive starters return this season to lead Tulane. There is only one tough game on the OOC slate, a visit from Big XII-power Texas. Seven of the Wave?s games are at home, but the Super Dome isn?t a thrilling place to play when it?s only one-fourth full. Tulane will likely struggle again this season, finishing near the bottom of the conference.

It looks as if the wave will be stronger on defense this year. All that offensive firepower is gone.FYI

Oh brother...

A probable win against Southern!? That's called a blatant slap to the SWAC's face (and a blatant punch to Pete Richardson's gut). Ha! Tulane will be embarrassed by the Jags.

Btw, I posted a poll on ESPN.com in Tulane's clubhouse that you should check out. Log on! ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SWACLocalBoy,

I too will be pulling for the Jaguars. This years game will actually be much closer than last year. Tulane is really not that good of a team. I think last years 41-7 was misleading. Southern moved the ball but kept shooting themselves in the foot. Have you noticed there is absolutely no one from Tulane talking SMACK over on the SMACK BOARD? What does that tell you?

I did find 1 big problem that Southern might encounter. After all, the kicking game is very important.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marler Earns Preseason All-America Selection
Tulane Kicker Tabbed to Sporting News First Team

Seth Marler picked up the Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker last season.

From Tulane Football Official Athletic Site

June 3, 2002

NEW ORLEANS - Tulane senior kicker Seth Marler, the winner of the 2001 Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker, has been named to The Sporting News' preseason All-America football team for 2002. Marler is the only first team selection from Conference USA and from a Louisiana school. Louisville's Dewayne White and LSU's Bradie James were chosen to the magazine's second team preseason squad.

Last year, Marler was the first Tulane player to be named a first team All-American since 1987 when he earned first team All-America honors from the Football Writer's Association of America.

The Lilburn, Ga. native hit 15-of-16 field goals and 39-of-40 extra points in 2001. He made 54 straight kicks to start the year before a missed field goal in the second to last game of the season. Marler connected on all seven of his field goal tries from 40 yards and longer, and was three-for-three on kicks of more than 50 yards.

Marler needs three field goals in 2002 to break the school record of 48 set by Brad Palazzo from 1995-98. His 106 PATs all-time are second on the all-time charts. With 244 points, Marler ranks third in the Green Wave career record book in scoring and is second in kick scoring.

Marler and the Green Wave open the 2002 season August 31st in the Louisiana Superdome versus the Southern Jaguars in the Big Easy Classic. Season tickets for the 2002 season are on sale now through the Tulane Athletic Ticket Office in the James W. Wilson Center, and by calling 504-861-WAVE.

Back