TSU vs. AA&M preview

tsutiger

Tennessee State Tigers (1-0) at Alabama A&M Bulldogs (0-1)
Sat., Sept. 6 ? 6:30 p.m. CT ? L. Crews Stadium (21,000)

The Matchup: After rolling up nearly 500 yards in total offense last week, Tennessee State will face a challenge from an Alabama A&M defense which held Jacksonville State to only nine points last week. These two inter-conference rivals are meeting for the 22nd time, and although TSU holds a big edge in the overall series, Alabama A&M won last year?s meeting and posted a solid 9-3 record in 2002.

TSU Offense: After playing musical chairs with a number of signal-callers in 2002, TSU quarterback Riley Walker (Chattanooga, TN) silenced any doubters last week by throwing for a I-AA best 365 yards in TSU?s 37-20 win over S. Carolina State. He completed 17 of 33 passes with a TD and an INT... RB Charles Anthony (Orlando, FL) was the OVC Offensive Player of the Week after getting 117 yards on the ground and 77 more in receiving. He scored three touchdowns in the win... Senior receiver C.J. Johnson (Nashville, TN) put himself over the 2,900-yard mark for his career by catching three passes for 119 yards.

TSU Defense: TSU showed that it was much-improved on defense, holding SCSU out of the end zone until there were five seconds remaining in the third quarter... The Tigers allowed only 278 total yards in week one, 135 yards fewer than its 2002 average... Defensive lineman Almonte Duncan (Atlanta, GA) scored on an interception after Robert Brown (Fort Wayne, IN) batted the pass.

Scouting Alabama A&M: AAMU is playing its second OVC team in as many weeks after losing, 9-3, at home to Jacksonville State last week... The Bulldogs won eight of their last nine regular season contests after dropping their first two games in 2002, winning the Eastern Division of the SWAC... Sophomore Tim Robinson completed 11-of-26 throws for 142 yards and two INT?s last week. He platoons with Johnny Keith at the position.

After checking the box scores of both teams previous games, I feel real good about the Tigers chances of not only winning, but winning big in Huntsville. For A&M to win this game, the must stop Anthony, but I don?t think they can.

Back