Training Days: Rolling with The Alabama Crimson Tide

@Bighead technology is closing the gap a little bit. I mean that it’s cheaper now more than ever to promote your school (academics and athletics). Hell, the technology the band uses for video (Garrett had also done a Hard Knocks-like video for football) was too cost prohibitive for some like 10 years ago.

Hell smartphones are producing 4K video in a pinch. All I’m saying is that the available tech for producing content has been democratized due to costs going down.

No. We don’t have ESPN footing the bill on basically a propaganda piece. However, we do have talented students and alumni that can help craft messages. Some have more than others. Will things change like Thanos snapping his fingers? No. We just gotta keep getting it done and getting better.

@Bighead keep pushing for higher expectations bruh. One day we will all get there.

Doesnt SU have a "Hard Knocks" type of preseason camp show on Youtube?

That type of content would be awesome for the SDN!

Edit:

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Will folks donate time for free to produce and edit it or expect to be paid like Spielberg?

That’s an issue thats never talked about.

@Bighead keep pushing for higher expectations bruh. One day we will all get there.

Doesnt SU have a "Hard Knocks" type of preseason camp show on Youtube?

That type of content would be awesome for the SDN!

Edit:

This is the type of thing that's needed. I think dude who produced this may have been a 1 one army and not have enough staffers on the team. But let's say Odums or the A.D. gives this dude a 10-15k budget to produce a series like this, includes, cameras, drones, editing software and a domain to host and upload the footage for the fans. Plus create a format to stream our Home & Away games so we can view the streams and have YOUNG COMMENTATORS WITH FLAVOR to call the game on streaming, the cats on the radio (who do a good job) and can continue to broadcast the games on the radio. Have a whole media team for SU sports, like the band. Our own media team that produce video, interviews, one on ones, player interviews, coaches etc. on our own platform, this would be big. Speeches giving in the locker before games, Odums going into the community to these schools and giving speeches to the kids, (create story-lines) showcase a kid and display how a player juggles the life of being a football player and student etc. Just open and create story lines so that you can show H.S., younger kids, and alumni how the program is doing. We don't get anything now.

Again, we don't have to wait on WAFB to show that pissy ass segment about SU and wait on them to give us 2 - 6 mins of highlight after talking about LSU for dayum near the whole show. WAFB now have a whole 1hr after the news goes off where they discuss the game smh.

Let us create our own.

We can use a boardroom in the Field House or set up on the 50 yard line like how they do on Countdown NFL with a panel and discuss after the game remarks, discussions, set up a video camera so that the Media team can live stream the sht and let Eric Randle and the commentators talk about the X's and O'x and effort from the night's game. Callers still can call up to the show and express their concerns, disappointments, highs about tonight's contest.
It has to be crisp

Call it "Jags After Dark" or some sht, but it has to be "crisp" not something that look like it was done in 1998, Cameras need to be HD quality, audio needs to be on point, if it's down in a boardroom where the show will take place needs to have SU gear all in the background and get some young ppl on the panel, College students that's into the Football, even have a band segment and give them that platform maybe on a Sunday night so that they can discussion the band match from Saturday night.

Have a chat room where folks can watch the show and chat.

If you wanna monetize it, put the cost into the season books, or just have a cost that will give you ALL-Access to these things.

SU All-Access

Will folks donate time for free to produce and edit it or expect to be paid like Spielberg?

That’s an issue thats never talked about.

That's the thing it doesn't have to be for free. We getting 250k from playing said school and we getting 100k. Now that's 350k (and I'm guessing) that's just football, not talking about the funds we get for basketball. A budget can be created to staff the media team.

SU band, I'm not sure if those guys that are on the media team gets paid or not but they do a great job with what they do for the band, the sht is so innovative that I thought I was in the dayum band with the Trumpet camera. Seeing how the Drum-major buss out the tunnel at halftime.

I mean we need to see the players walk down that tunnel before they take the field and sht.

Have the kids at the game run out with the players and sht. Just more can be done IMO.

@Bighead technology is closing the gap a little bit. I mean that it’s cheaper now more than ever to promote your school (academics and athletics). Hell, the technology the band uses for video (Garrett had also done a Hard Knocks-like video for football) was too cost prohibitive for some like 10 years ago.

Hell smartphones are producing 4K video in a pinch. All I’m saying is that the available tech for producing content has been democratized due to costs going down.

No. We don’t have ESPN footing the bill on basically a propaganda piece. However, we do have talented students and alumni that can help craft messages. Some have more than others. Will things change like Thanos snapping his fingers? No. We just gotta keep getting it done and getting better.

We have alumni with business in the techy field, we need to reach out to those alumni, just like the white folks do wit their own. They reach out to alumni that has graduated from the school or have kids attending that school and that company helps with the production and equipment to help enhance the football program or whatever project.

We have SU grads that have their own businesses and it doesn't have to be local businesses, we can reach out to folks that have tech businesses in Dallas, ATL, all over this country. The A.D. need to have his staff to compile a list of SU grads with legit businesses and reach out to them, I mean that's what them white folks do.

Everybody is a dayum photographer these days, you go on FB, IG etc and everybody is taking eccentric ass photos lol, everybody got a camera. Why not advocate for some talent within, or SU put together some type of communication program/project and funnel students who want to take this path and have them be apart of a media team and just attach it to the communication program/curriculum. You save on cost, you have workers, students get the experience and knowledge and you get a crisp project every year.

I think the leadership as I stated is outdated and don't understand that it's not 1998 anymore. Ppl are not coming to a football game anymore, outside things have to be happening before the games, during the games, and after the game to enhance your program. Ppl are not sitting around wanting to wait on Fall to come to talk about SU Football, SU Football should be a yearly thing to be talked about. AT the bigger stage, this thing has become a yearly round process.

Football programs would get the spotlight or commentary around the middle of August or Sept, back in the day, but now with so much media, social media, you literally are talking about football in February, March, and then April is Spring season, the public, your fanbase want to see how the team is doing in Spring Ball, who enrolled early, who has regressed, what FR from the previous year is now making the step up. Who will be the SR leader heading into Fall Camp, what the conditioning of the players status is? etc.

SU Fans need this Lol, Hell all SWAC school fans need this.

SU ALL ACCESS can give you insight of said recruit, broadcast the signing day event. This has to be bigger than how it is now. LSU sht has become huge, whites be out there tail-gating smh. Live streaming the Signing day event can be big.
Something.

He and I do go back and forth. His heart is in the right place, and I like the fact he challenges the status quo. Sometimes he can go a little bit to left field, but it’s well-intentioned

Never anything malicious on my end. Just tired of seeing the same ole same ole when other schools are doing more.

We gotta get off that we don't have x millions, we aint go never have it, never had it to begin with. We honestly don't need that type of money because IMO all folks are gonna do is steal, steal. smh.

We gotta create other ideas to get these things done.

Excuses are becoming the norm for this conference for black ppl period, sh1t is sad and frustrating. Just my .02

Yeah. The high end phones have 4K (I was interviewed by a local TV reporter using his IPhone. I was thoroughly impressed) but you can look around and find some $150-$200 phones with 4K recording capabilities.

As others have said, who has the time to do this without expecting some type of compensation.

Never anything malicious on my end. Just tired of seeing the same ole same ole when other schools are doing more.

We gotta get off that we don't have x millions, we aint go never have it, never had it to begin with. We honestly don't need that type of money because IMO all folks are gonna do is steal, steal. smh.

We gotta create other ideas to get these things done.

Excuses are becoming the norm for this conference for black ppl period, sh1t is sad and frustrating. Just my .02

You do know this is like a top three excuse why folks don't give back, right?

Trust me, a lot of us are tired of the same ole, same ole. That's why it's important to have DYNAMIC, CHARISMATIC LEADERSHIP at your school, and have all other portions of the school in lockstep with that leadership.

All we're saying is you can't use Power 5's for a comparison to FCS HBCUs. It's really an unfair comparison. Now if you want to compare oranges and oranges, compare us to other FCS schools. There are some that are really FBS programs in FCS clothing (looking at ND State), but really the vast majority are like us when it comes to budgets and media attention.

@Bighead you do know money from these football money games and men's basketball money games go to support the ENTIRE athletic department. That's how it is for everybody. Football basically pays the bills for your athletic program.

Also, what's your fixation on 1998? I was in undergrad in 1998, and I can tell you very few people saw — or even predicted — the means of communicating and sending media messages now back then. Hell, just the prospect of getting a TV with 720 resolution was big shit in 1998, and waaaaay expensive.
The only thing I'll say is that in 1998, I felt a group of the bigger, more well-known HBCUs should have moved up to Division I-A as a conference while enrollments were larger, black folk were doing better and there were players in cable TV that we could've struck a deal with. But that's a sidetrack discussion.

A lot of us aren't saying that things are impossible to do. Kids have ran out with Southern team in previous seasons, as well as at other HBCUs. All we're saying is that there's a monetary cost for the man-hours needed to shoot and edit video. There are monetary costs to getting the right cameras and SDHC cards to shoot with. Now if you want to suggest doing fundraisers for that, be my guest. However, an AD is gonna tell you he/she is gonna need more folks on the compliance side before doing what they feel are vanity projects.

Back