Totten to kick off season with Baton Rouge press luncheon

Devilsh1

The Preeminent One!
Totten to kick off season with Baton Rouge press luncheon
By MVSU Sports Information

ITTA BENA, MS ? The lazy, hazy days of Summer are coming to a close, which can only mean one thing. Football preseason camp is upon us and the excitement of gridiron action is in the air.

Although the Delta Devils upperclassmen and newcomers will not report until Sunday, August 3, second-year head coach Willie ?Satellite? Totten will jump start the pre-season camp festivities of his second season with a 12 noon luncheon in Baton Rouge, LA at the world renowned T.J. Ribs Restaurant.

Th press tour, dubbed the ?Satellite Express Press Tour?? a scaled-down version of the former Southwestern Athletic Conference Press Tour, is geared to give members of the media an opportunity to meet with the MVSU head coach as well as players, while promoting the upcoming golden anniversary season of football at MVSU in 2003.

Headed up by Totten and two of the Delta Devils? top performers from a year ago in senior quarterback Carey Weaver and senior defensive back O?Keefe Henderson. The tour will make four stops, including the Baton Rouge stop, before the August 30th season opener against Southern University in Jackson, MS.

Totten led the Delta Devils to a 5-6 record in his first season, as the Delta Devils finished tied for third place, with a 3-4 SWAC Eastern Division record.

Henderson led the Delta Devils? defensive secondary (the SWAC?s top pass defense) with four interceptions. Henderson had a team-high 13 pass deflections. Henderson also had 51 stops on the season (sixth on the team) and had two tackles for losses. His five tackles and 99-yard interception return for a touchdown earned him the SWAC?s Newcomer of the Week award versus Alabama A&M University.

Weaver passed for 2,116 yards finishing 3rd in the SWAC, while completing 179 passes on 323 attempts for 15 touchdowns. Weaver?s 56.8 completion percentage was second amongst SWAC quarterbacks. He was also third in total offense in the SWAC with 2,183 yards on the year, averaging 198.5 per games. His best game came against Paul Quinn, when he passed for 315 yards and five td?s. He was selected as the SWAC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against Paul Quinn and for his 97-yard rushing and 186 yard passing day against University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

More dates are scheduled for the coach to visit the Mississippi Gulf Coast as well as the state?s capital, Jackson. The one-day stop in Baton Rouge will precede a The SWAC?s annual media day, which will be held in Birmingham, AL on Friday, August 1st.

?I?m excited about this upcoming year and I?m ready to get back into the flow of things.? Totten stated. ?We have a lot of things to be excited about and I?m glad I?ll have the opportunity to share my excitement with the media as well as our fans, alumni and supporters.

?Going into this season we discovered some strenghts in the final few games as well as in the off season, that we?re looking to build upon in the camp as we prepare for an always formidable Southern football team.? Totten said. ?It?s going to be an exciting year of football and we?re planning on being in the mix right until the very last game of the season.?

That's a slick move by Totten & Co. Have your own 'Press' even in the city of the school you're gunna play first.....

Can somebody say 'increased ticket sales' for the 8/30 matchup in the Friendly Confines?????

:idea:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That's what this luncheon was all about, but I think he needs to be in G'wood, G'ville and Clarksdale promoting this game. The SU folks will be there, he just needs to make sure VALLEY has the homefield advantage.

Originally posted by j-state_tiger06
That's what this luncheon was all about, but I think he needs to be in G'wood, G'ville and Clarksdale promoting this game. The SU folks will be there, he just needs to make sure VALLEY has the homefield advantage.

People here already know about the game, plus they will be there. We will have the home field advantage because OUR fans are excited about the season opener against SU!!!!

Good marketing strategy

Totten not only knows about X's and O's but how to sell tickets.

Coach is serious, demotes the offensive coordinator, hires his brother away from APB, and is out marketing his team.

I look for this to be a very close game.

I remember playing the Valley in Chicago, those Delta Devils can be tough when they want to.

Weaver is dangerous and the db's can play. Plus Totten will pull something from out his hat from his arena playing days.

But even if totten goes to Greenville, GreenWood, Vicksburg, Fayette, Redlick or Midnight , MS, the Jaguar Nation will out number the Valley on August 30.

Back