Time for a black college playoff

wahines

1_gsufan
:) Do we think it is time for an black college playoff? I think it is time for one. The system is aganist us. Why do the HBCU'S have to play all our playoff games on the road, despite the fact they can be ranked in the top ten for most of the season and all of the sudden when it is playoff time, we are ranked in the bottom. I say have one because we have proven that by supporting classics, the HBCU'S make money. The schools that play in the playoffs don't make any money. The HBCU can make more money buy having their own playoffs than by going along with the system. That invities only one school, which is the conference champion and despite having an winning record, the rest of the HBCU'S get left out. Have an playoff and take care of the bottom line, which is making money. The rights to carry the game can be sharried by BET, MBC NETWORK AND NUE-TV. BUY the way, call your cable company or dish network or direct tv and ask them to carry those channesl

We too scared to ask the white folks in Indianapolis can we do this. Hell the SWAC didnt even challenge the ruling against the Heritage Bowl.

Im sure IAA football wont mind. They think we are in the way anyway. There should be an 8 team playoff with the final in ATL.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Sorry my fine brethren, but...

I ain't down with the playoff system at all! I would rather play in a New Year's game (like the earlier Heritage Bowls) or a Kickoff Classic pitting the proposed two best out of conference teams!

I believe that playing the Heritage Bowl the 2nd week in December pretty much killed the floundering fish that it was. It was the perfect game during the New Year's eve time frame because those of us HBCU football hungry fans were ready to see not only a good game, but some good bands!!! Having our own playoff game would not benefit anyone... financially or otherwise!! Besides, it would only be those of us unable to participate in the "other" playoff which would only add credence to the "you still ain't played nobody" statements.

Nawwww, I'd rather take my chances with things the way they currently are for now, especially since the current playoff format has made it impossible for the better Southern regional teams to make it because of the way things are set up anyway!!!

I say instead of scheduling the Miami's and Florida State's and Tulane's, we schedule the Western Kentucky's, Southern Illinois', and Northern Iowa's so that ALL doubt would be erased. How empty would that championship trophy be if they are beat by one of our "decent" teams.

I totally agree with you Jaguar Diehard. I don't think a black college playoff system would be a good idea. And the reason that the Heritage Bowl was not successful because no one wanted to see the number one SWAC team play the number 3rd or lower MEAC team. That's not a championship game. Plus, I don't think that Atlanta was a good venue. When I lived in Atlanta, no one who lived there gave a damn about the Heritage Bowl, or actually attending the game. I would love to see a black college championship bowl that rotated cities every year, that pitched the number one SWAC team against the number one MEAC team. If blacks have their own conferences, then why can't we have our own championship game. Forget the playoffs, to me it is meaningless for black colleges to participate.

I like the playoff idea for just the HBCUs. But like some of you said, the dates and location is key. We also need to have a major sponsor push this effort. Really make our black people feel like they have to be there. I also agree the ATL locals were not supporting the Heritage Bowl. But again, look at the marketing , date of game and also playing a lower seed MEAC team. Atlanta folks have to be sold on going to events. They like all the extra events associated with the game. Even the FAMU and TNSU game is really hyped up. Plus their alumni are strong here. So that game is a success.

I do not know if 8 teams is the right number. Maybe 6 unless you are going to allow D-2 HBCUs to play. What I would like to see is the MEAC and SWAC send their champions to play a championship game. If the MEAC set up a game like the SCG then both winners could advance for the 1-AA Black College Championship. But to get 8 quality teams, you will have to open it up to other than SWAC and MEAC. Otherwise the top 4 teams from each conference would play. I don't know if that will generate enough interest to see a 4th place SWAC team or 4th place Meac team play in a playoff setting. We just need to have a "REAL" Heritage Bowl or just send the top 2 teams from each conference for a Final Four playoffs. Just my 2 cents

Haritage Bowl all the way. However, the killer was trying to make up for the crowd when a team like Howard or a SWAC team without a big traveling base made the bowl. I was there in 96 and Howard did not bring anyone.

I remember McDonald's had a lot of stuff lined up a few years back but the ATL public failed to respond like they anticipated. Since the hiatus happened maybe they'll respond differently next time.

I wouldn't mind seeing some type of Black College Championship but I don't think the MEAC would buy in. The entire SWAC is not eligible to go to the playoffs because of the SCG so it wouldn't be a problem for us. We would be able to to send our number one team. However, the success of FAMU in recent years makes me think that the MEAC would not drop the playoffs (FAMU recently hosted a playoff game and also received an at large bid when they did not win the MEAC).

As for the Heritage Bowl, I think it ran into really big problems when they started playing it right after Christmas. Most people had to travel on Christmas Day just to make it to the game. It was great when it was right around New Years.

I totally agree Jaguar Diehard.. Don't see any reason or value in trying to show who is the best black college football team.

I would like to see the SWAC champion in a Bowl game with a nice payout and TV exposure. The New Orleans bowl would have been great last year.

Black Playoff system??

I agree with Jaguar Die-Hard and Texas Sourthern Fan. I would love to see a SWAC school win the 1AA. The Heritage Bowl died because of Poor Attendance. It's the same answer all the time when one ask about playoffs,bowls and HBCU's moving up to 1A.FAN SUPPORT!. TV networks want "TV friendly" football games. That means they, the producers want the stadiums filled up or sold out. Black Playoffs? No. That would send a message that our athletes are second best. A SWAC school need to win 1AA crown!

Back