The SWAC, MEAC and others should take legal action!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The NAIA should prohibit the use of the name “HBCU” conference. Let them call the conference something else! This creates confusion.

Doesn’t bother me none….most of the SWAC came from the NAIA many moons ago. Those that are confused are just ignorant or have bad intentions….just my humble opinion.

You do realize the trade name implications? No longer could the SWAC and others use the description “HBCU”. It doesn’t fly with me.

Hmm, I don’t profess to be an attorney, however if their designation adversely impact the 4 HBCU conferences I am opposed. However, that doesn’t sound like it makes much sense….but stranger things have happened. I’m pretty sure that most if not all already have an HBCU designation. But again, I’m not an attorney, so I will let the folks that make the big bucks figure it out…

However, after thinking about the name, it does have a deceptive ring to it…

Last edited:
Hmm, I don’t profess to be an attorney, however if their designation adversely impact the 4 HBCU conferences I am opposed. However, that doesn’t sound like it makes much sense….but stranger things have happened. I’m pretty sure that most if not all already have an HBCU designation. But again, I’m not an attorney, so I will let the folks that make the big bucks figure it out…
HBCU Sports. HBCU Gameday. HBCU Conference?

Maybe the Swac/Meac should copyright HBCU..

Yeah this was my initial thought reading this thread. What claim does the swac or anyone else have regarding the exclusive use of "hbcu". I mean its so widely used now that I'm not sure why this would be an issue. If you don't have papers, this argument is moot. We got Bigger fish to fry.

Simply put, the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference is attempting to capitalize off all things HBCU. HBCU conference describes the SWAC, the MEAC, CIAA and the SIAC, also. You cannot register a trade name that causes confusion. HBCU athletic conference could apply to any Power Four HBCU conferences.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Simply put, the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference is attempting to capitalize off all things HBCU. HBCU conference describes the SWAC, the MEAC, CIAA and the SIAC, also. You cannot register a trade name that causes confusion. HBCU athletic conference could apply to any Power Four HBCU conferences.
Who's going to be confused? It's a conference name.

If they were able to get away with using "Gulf Coast" all these years without any problems from the all the other users of that name then I doubt they will have any issues using HBCU

Maybe the Swac/Meac should copyright HBCU..
It is too late for that given how long the term HBCU has been used, copyrighted as part of logs, trademarks, and plus the SWAC\MEAC make up a minority when it come to the number of HBCUs. I give them credit in that they have put together a conference that has close to the same footprint as the SIAC\CIAA combine.

Back