The rich get richer (college recruiting)

A lot of what you all are saying is true. But, here is what I think the bottom line problem is:

If you had a son coming out of high school this year and he was in the top 5 football players in your state and the top 50 in the nation, what would be your answers to:
Miami, Texas, Grambling, or FAMU

Same but, basketball:
Duke, North Carolina, Bama State, or HAMPTON

same but track:
Baylor, Oklahoma, Southern, Howard

Perfect score on the SAT or ACT:
MIT, Stanford, Prairie View, North Carolina A&T

If the Heritage Bowl was still in existance and you was given tickets to go to the Heritage Bowl or the Sugar Bowl and they are on the same day at the same time, which tickets get used by you?

Now answer the same questions for most of your black friends...

If we are honest, I willing to bet the real problem will be obvious. Ice is colder theory is still thought to be true by a lot of our people. So, what are we to expect of our kids when Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc... are calling and visiting them. I'm not even talking about the paying that you all are mentioning. Our schools are out of their minds long before that becomes an issue. That becomes the issue to put seperation between each other. How many of the youth around you only hear you talking about the positives of HBCUs. How many of you tell them about the Aneneas Williams, Jake Reed, Robert Porchea, Micheal Strahan, Steve McNair, Jerry Rice, etc.. of the NFL and how much better they are from their counter-parts. How many of you mention the Avery Johnson and Lindsey Hunter in the NBA. How many of you tell them that black graduate from HBCUs, while blacks attend PWCs. How many of you point out the leading men and women in America that are alumnus of HBCUs. When we don't, all they hear about HBCUs is that which means settling.

It's on us. Our dollars. Our positive conversations. Our educating others that finally gets to the Casey Printers, Michael Hayes, and other students. We must keep it up and step it up, so they will come to us up front. When we have a chance to recruit a very talented kid, we must expose them to other HBCUs including our own. For what if he doesn't go to yours, we need him/her to also consider another HBCU instead of only having PWC to then choose from. WE MUST MAKE THE DIFFERENCE and it want happen in 1 year. We must be steadfast and committed.

PEACE!!!

Originally posted by Fiyah

Rumor has it that Mack Brown & Texas is recruiting the Madison kid (Young) as a DB instead of a QB. From listening to some of his comments lately I believe he is leaning towards Florida St.

You see all these kids w/ extreme talent going to these schools that are loaded at their position and then they see they won't get no play and they get switched to another position that they don't really want to play.

This kid played in a High School allstar game that was held in San Antonio yesterday. He looked like a pro playing against JV talent. He had a lot of dropped passes and he threw a ball that went 60 yards in the air(easy) and the receiver dropped the ball. He was the MVP of the game though. One of the tv stations was interviewing him about what school he is looking at and he stated he had narrowed his choices down to Miami or Texas. He said he's waiting to see what the QB from Florida is going to do. If he tranfers he will go to Texas. But it seemed like he will be Texas bound by the way he stated his schools choices. Another waist of talent if he attends Texas because they are stack at QB and RB, I guess he will play another position besides the one he really likes to play. :smh::( :rolleyes:

It's Official

Vincent Young has decided to attended the University of Texas.
I don't know what Mack Brown is telling these kids but he keeps getting them to commit to Texas. Another talent that should have gone elsewhere to get the most out of his talent in a pro type offense.

We talked about that after the show tonight.

They said Young's whole family went down to Austin this weekend, from the uncle to the girlfriend.

They showed the mom at the press conference, mind you not they said she is short a few screws, she came on with all this "they got the academics this and that." The white folks really got to them this weekend.

Hell, if I could show them the same type of love and academics (which he claimed he got this weekend) at PV, would he come here?

Re: It's Official

Originally posted by Fiyah
Vincent Young has decided to attended the University of Texas.
I don't know what Mack Brown is telling these kids but he keeps getting them to commit to Texas. Another talent that should have gone elsewhere to get the most out of his talent in a pro type offense.

Weeks ago I mentioned how Brown has made contacts with most high schools in Texas. I am talking about from Beaumont to El Paso and Brownsville to the Panhandle.

Anyway, Brown has quite a few high school all-americans at QB. I wonder when Young will get his chance to really compete for the position.

There is a highly recruited QB going to Texas A&M out of Lufkin. I have not seen any pictures of him. But there will be the inevitable comparisions to him and Young.

EB, your're talking about Reggie McNeal. He signed with A&M a couple of weeks ago. He was classified as an athlete. :smh:

Madison QB Young casts lot with UT
By JOSH GAJEWSKI
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

It was halftime of Saturday's Texas-Baylor basketball game when Longhorns fans received a sign -- literally -- that Vincent Young was headed their way.

The Madison quarterback was making his way across the Erwin Center floor to the tunnel so he could exit the building when he was recognized by a group of fans, who asked the nation's No. 1 football prospect about his college plans.

Young, wearing an orange sweat suit, smiled and simply raised his hand with index and pinkie fingers extended. The "Hook 'em, Horns" sign said it all.

Sunday, Young made it official. The 6-5, 200-pounder with the cannon-like right arm committed to Texas after his official weekend visit, marking the end of speculation that has surrounded Young since he burst onto the local scene in 1999 as the Marlins' wiry but undeniably talented sophomore quarterback.

In his three seasons as Madison's quarterback, Young passed for more than 5,000 yards, ran for nearly 4,000 and had a hand in 107 touchdowns.

Young said he knew he was going to commit to UT after Saturday's basketball game, when Longhorns wide receiver B.J. Johnson, Young's host for the weekend, took him to Austin's famous Sixth Street, where Young was approached by even more adoring Texas fans.

"I love when the fans show that kind of love," Young said. "I wasn't planning on committing until I was through with all of my visits, but they showed me everything I needed to see and another thing was to see my uncle and my mother smiling (throughout the trip)."

After winning the most valuable player award in the recent U.S. Army All-American Bowl at San Antonio, Young said he had narrowed his college list to four schools -- Texas, Miami, Arkansas and Southern Mississippi. He also expressed concern about the situation of Brock Berlin, the University of Florida quarterback who is transferring to Miami.

"I was waiting to see what he was going to do, but I was still going to go to Austin. When I got there, everything was beautiful (and) the academics and all that was perfect," Young said.

The decision to go to Texas also meant Young would be staying close to home, have a chance to play for a national championship and get to live in Austin -- a combination that was too attractive to pass up, according to Young's uncle, Keith, who also made the weekend trip along with Young's mother Felicia.

"The city of Austin received Vincent very well, and we were very happy with that," Keith Young said. "It is nice for Vincent's family to continue to be able to watch him play. It's also nice because he's got a big fan following in Houston that can continue to watch him."

During Madison's trip to the Class 5A state semifinals, more than 20,000 fans came to watch each of Madison's last four playoff games at the Reliant Astrodome.

"Now, the game moves to another level," Keith Young said. "The venue changes -- it moves from the Astrodome to the University of Texas -- but the (hype) is still going to be there. The weight of the pressure is going to be even worse now that this kid is moving to a much higher level, but Vincent is a very humble, intelligent guy. The pressure is going to increase, but that just makes him want to learn the game even more and be that much better at it.

"His intention is not to stop at the college level, but to be playing in the pros."

Although Young has said he wants to redshirt his freshman year, his uncle said that decision will not be made until the spring.

"It's not something that's automatic," Keith Young said. "He will go in assigned to play the position of quarterback but as far as being redshirted, he is going there to compete and if the opportunity presents itself to play as a freshman, then we're not going to rule anything out. Coach (Mack) Brown didn't rule out anything, and it's not automatic that he'll redshirt. Playing at a D-I (Division I-A) school, the guys compete and the best man gets the job."

Said Young: "If I can learn quick, (Brown) is probably going to use me as a backup or something. But if I don't and eventually redshirt, I don't mind that. I'm looking forward to doing whatever I have to do. I'm going to compete, though."

I HEARD A-LOT OF THINGS ABOUT RECRUITING AMONG HBCU BUT THE ONE THING THAT STINKS THE MOST IS THE HARDER THEY TRY TEHY CANNOT COMPETE WITH PWC 'S AND THIER MANY LIES. I USED TO CALL IT THE WHITE MAN'S LIE."SURE SON YOU WILL PLAY AS SOON AS YOU GET HERE"SO MANY TIMES THAT IS NOT THE CASE.WHY GO TO A PWC AND RIDE TH EPINE.LSU SIGNS ALOT OF KIDS THAT DON'T EVEN PLAY.THAT CAN BE AVOIDED IF THE KIDS WAK UP AND GOTO THESE HBCU'S.THE WORST THAT HAPPEN TO HBCU WAS INTERGRATION.IT CAME IN MESSED EVERYTHING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HEARD A-LOT OF THINGS ABOUT RECRUITING AMONG HBCU BUT THE ONE THING THAT STINKS THE MOST IS THE HARDER THEY TRY TEHY CANNOT COMPETE WITH PWC 'S AND THIER MANY LIES. I USED TO CALL IT THE WHITE MAN'S LIE."SURE SON YOU WILL PLAY AS SOON AS YOU GET HERE"SO MANY TIMES THAT IS NOT THE CASE.WHY GO TO A PWC AND RIDE TH EPINE.LSU SIGNS ALOT OF KIDS THAT DON'T EVEN PLAY.THAT CAN BE AVOIDED IF THE KIDS WAK UP AND GOTO THESE HBCU'S.THE WORST THAT HAPPEN TO HBCU WAS INTERGRATION.IT CAME IN MESSED EVERYTHING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me put my 2 cents in on this matter.I'm a senior football player and I've been around a few kids and some of my friends who are also seniors.Big time recruits see division 1-AA football as a slap in the face especially if it isn't Furman or Georgia Southern.My best friend signed with Arkansas last year and every HBCU team that ever approached was turned down.There is no secret that d-1A is big time college football and they feel like since they're big time recruits thats where they should be.Last year I couldn't imagine myself playing at any level short of D-1 but over time reality set in.Its now a dream of mine to play Black College Football,because that is what I was raised around.I was raised around Alabama State and Alabama A&M.People who put down HBCU football 9 out of 10 times aren't raised around it,so they don't understand the pagentry and the tradition of HBCU football.I've seen the light and I'll be playing HBCU football this upcoming season.

I personally appreciate your response. It hits the nail on the heard. It supports the fact that we, HBCU alumnus, must be the advocates for our HBCUs whereever we are. If we don't inform our youth and community of the positives of HBCUs, who will? How can we expect the top ranked kids to consider our school when society gives the impression otherwise. I don't have a problem with blacks going to PWCs. I have a problem with blacks not considering attending HBCUs. If it turns out your best is at a PWC, then you should be there. I simply don't think that would be the choice a majority of the times if HBCUs were considered for what they offer in the long run. So, many of our kids go to PWC (Division I-A) schools and sit behind folks for 3 years hoping they will get a chance their last year to show their stuff. In a lot of cases, somebody else has come along by then and is ahead of them, or they are struggling in school, or simply out of school by that point for one reason or another. Those are the decisions I hate to see made. As bad as I wish I could have gotten BJ Johnson (U. Texas WR) to go to SU, I can't blame him for going to UT, because he played his first year on that level. If he could have played by his 2nd year, I would still not question his decision. Beyond that, I wonder what the kids are thinking about in terms of their best interest.

PEACE!!!

Back