The rich get richer (college recruiting)

T

The Panther Fan

University of Texas signs 2 highly touted running backs from Houston last week. One said he will not redshirt. This does not make any sense. Their running back now is only a freshman and will have at least 2 more years hang around there and do something. He could go all four years.

I do not know what Mack Browns says or pays these kids to commit to a school where their loaded at every position. If I was a star in HS, why would I want to go and sit behind stars in college unless they were seniors?

Black kids these days, telling them about SWAC schools is like injecting poison in their systems. :rolleyes:

We need to hire only white recruiters or current NFL stars to recruit at the SWAC schools. that's the only folks they seem to listen to.

Man, I found out today that the top player from my High School is a lock for Ole Miss. The kid is awesome. Played receiver and cornerback on a 13-1 team. Ole Miss is looking for him to compliment Chris Collins at the receiver position. Collins played at a rival school who's top player is also headed to Ole Miss.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
We need to hire only white recruiters or current NFL stars to recruit at the SWAC schools. that's the only folks they seem to listen to.

Panther Fan, I don't know if you were being sarcastic when you said that, but I seriously think that is something the SWAC needs to look into. Heck, what do they have to loose? What we are doing now is obviously not working.

But I also think that SWAC schools can do a better job of PUBLIC RELATIONS. It seems to me that, the "powers that be" at HBCU's don't seems to think that PR is important.

PR is needed, where I am from the campus is nice but folks do not know it.

When I tell folks you got an apartment in Year 1, they don't believe me.

since we throw away money anyway, might as well buy a spot in the National Championship Game and sell our school. All the football kids are watching it so you would not lose anything on it

These kids don't think. For the last 3-4 years, the best WRs in Miss. were signing with Miss. State. WTF??? I guess they never noticed that Miss. State had a garbage passing offense. OR that JSU has been putting WRs in the NFL on the regular. As for the Houston RB that signed with Texas, maybe Mack Brown told him the same thing he told Chris Simms. I thought Simms an idiot for signing with Texas, since Applewhite was there and coming off a Big 12 Player of the Year season immediately after Simms got there. Simms got to start anyway.

These kids wanna be on TV. Guess they don't know that it does not good for the game to be televised while they're riding the pine. Nobody sees them play that way. Not even scouts.

I agree that PR is something that the SWAC schools will have to improve. But they also have to improve their facilities. The facilities at UT-Austin are some of the best.

But anyway, these kids will get a rude awakening when they do not get their precious playing time. Understand that these are kids that are used to starting.

If we were to tell these kids about the SWAC stars of the past like Mel Blount, Ken Houston, Ken Burrough and others, we would be better off talking to a brick wall. One would have the same problems if they talked about the present pros from the SWAC.

In our schools' case I think that we should go after the second tier of athletes and not just the first tier. There are a lot of good players in that second and third tier.

As for Mack Brown, he probably has the ear of almost every high school coach from El Paso to Orange and Texarkana and the Panhandle to Brownsville.

Many of these kids would rather ride the pine at a so callled major college than to play at a HBCU, there is no other explanation as to why they don't transfer after getting no playing time. Remember there are more than 100 players on most of these schools and most of them were highly recruited.

I know what you mean. I was watching Countdown to Signing Day and this RB from AL committed to TN. HELLO!! Did he not see that TN is loaded at the RB position with 3 freshmen all-americans. All played as freshmen and will only be sophmores next yr. What was he thinking? He probably wasn't. Everybody wants to be with the best program. No one wants to try to build something themselves They'll sit the bench at a major school and then transfer to an HBCU as juniors. How stupid. I really blam the coaches though. They get greater publicity and salaries when they push kids to sign with 1-A schools. I know this first hand. HBCU's don't really try to do much to counter this so we're have to share the blame.

86, PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SPILLER KID GOING TO OLE MISS. I HOPE NOT, BUT I AM NOT SURPRISED. MY SON PLAYS FOOTBALL, AND ALL HE TALKS ABOUT IS HOW THE JUNIORS AND SENIORS ON THE TEAM TALK ABOUT THE CAR AND CONDO THAT CHRIS COLLINS HAS AT OLE MISS. THEY HEAR ABOUT THESE GIFTS ALL THE TIME, BUT THEY CAN RELATE WHEN THEY SEE SOMEONE THEY KNOW WITH THEM. I HOPE ITS NOT THAT SPILLER KID BECAUSE HE IS THE TRUTH AS A RECEIVER OR AT SAFETY.

Originally posted by EB
I agree that PR is something that the SWAC schools will have to improve. But they also have to improve their facilities. The facilities at UT-Austin are some of the best.

That is so true, EB. But you know what, I have a sneaky feeling that even if each school in the SWAC upgraded their facilities, that still would not solve the problem.

The SWAC schools MUST change their public image. I mean, we could have some of the best facilities in the world, but if these kids think that somehow, HBCUs are inferior, well...........

I read an article on the LSU scout team the other day. Some of those kids actually played HS football but rather be practice dummies for star athletes for 3 years.

If I see a superstar standing in my way for at least 2 years, why waste my time practicing behind him? Only way I touch the field is to hope he gets hurt or has a slump.

Another thing, if I was a star HS quarterback, why in the hell would I want to play defense or receiver? If I got my fame playing QB I want to play that in college. How can brothers let these white coaches talk them into playing a position they never sweated a year for?

Also, a lot of the blacks who play for these schools have HBCU ties. We damn near created these folks and this is how they repay us.

Another thing, if I was a star HS quarterback, why in the hell would I want to play defense or receiver? If I got my fame playing QB I want to play that in college. How can brothers let these white coaches talk them into playing a position they never sweated a year for?

Rumor has it that Mack Brown & Texas is recruiting the Madison kid (Young) as a DB instead of a QB. From listening to some of his comments lately I believe he is leaning towards Florida St.

You see all these kids w/ extreme talent going to these schools that are loaded at their position and then they see they won't get no play and they get switched to another position that they don't really want to play.

It's the Economy, Stupid

I hate to say it, but those kids are bought. HBCUs can do a lot of things, like offer some scholarships, but they cannot buy these kids en masse like the major programs. Heck, at an HBCU, they might even expect you to do your own home work! That's too much to ask for a guy that believes he is going to be a millionaire.

But let's be honest, which would you choose.

1. Jackson State, who offers you a free college education; or

2. Ole Miss, who offers you a free college education, a new car and your own special dorm, if not condo and $20,000 in cash.

It's all about the Benjamins baby.

LaMont

RawRay, Yes, it is Spiller

Ray, the word is that if Spiller gets an 18 on the ACT, he is Ole Miss bound with a promise to play as a Freshman along side of Chris (Collins).

I remember years ago when Leon Perry left Amite County to play for Ole Miss and came home in a new yellow -n- black duster. Everyone was in awe and now it is Chris Collins with the condo and car. Ray, the kids see that and are wanting the same.

It's much deeper than that.....

Im somewhat active with the Republican party here in Jackson....A good number of these guys are rich, white, and Big Ole Miss Boosters.
Two of these guys are forever "BANNED" from attending Ole Miss games because of recruiting violations.
It's funny to hear them tell their side of the story, but a couple of Martini's get in their system and they blab away.

One of the guys is a Car Dealer....he told me that he would lease a blue chip caliber kid a car if they decided go to Ole Miss..they would'nt have to make any payments until after they graduated or left the program....He said, he could write the cars off as Dealer/program cars, but he is a Millionare so he don't give a uckf.

The other guy that was banned is in the Construction business big time...he won't do a job for less than 10 million because it's not cost effective for him..He got banned for giving money to some kids parents via writing them off as employees for his construction business....

These kids got mofo's like these 2 throwing dollars at them left and right..
If it's like this here in Mississippi I could only imagine what the Tennesse or Alabama boosters are doing.

Also they throw in the White Girls to sex the recruits down when they come to campus....yeah, that does happen. Too many of my boys , white and black that played for Ole Miss and Mississippi State let me in on that.

And you also have the proverbial HBCU playa hatin family members....you know, the ones that never went to college but will tell them the white man's water is wetter and that they need to go to a PWC.

Put all these factors together and mix in the Short attention span of today's High School student and you got a lot to overcome.
It just pisses me off some time the way the deck is stacked against HBCU'S:mad:

The Sad Truth is that it's about $$$$$

I'm sick and tired of hearing these hardships stories, as being the reasons why black kids choose these PWCs. They hold a press conference and annouce that they're going to Some Big Univ. and say that it's time for them to provide for their family, and playing football and getting exposed to TV and stuff, is the only way they can take care of Big Mama 'nem...... And they're surrounded by a bunch of white college supporters (just grinning) with puppet-strings in their hands (directing the fool). And sitting beside the 'prized turkey' is the High School Coach, who insists that the decision wasn't his. And he's sitting down, 'cause his pockets are bulging with $$$$.

And we sit back and feel good for the little fool, and wish him well.

And all the while, our schools suffer.

THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO COLLEGIATE SPORTS IN AMERICA, WAS THE BLACK ATHLETE!!!!!!!!!

The PWCs are lining up and laying out the carpet for us. And our kids are being lured by promises of fast cars, fast women, money, fame and fortune. And oh yeah, they play football and basketball too....And we're falling for it Hook, Line and Sinker.....

But when they get to the Big Schools and kcuf around and get hurt, or worse, mistreat a white girl; then they come crawling home to momma and the HBCUs. And we do what Black people have always done. We open our arms, hug 'em tight and tell 'em "It's OK baby". And we take 'em in. I think that needs to stop.

Call me a hater, but if a HBCU wasn't good enough for you when you were All-State, don't come around when you're Ass-Out!!!!!!!!
:mad:

The truth is a majority of these kids will never play a down. Case in point - UT Knoxville, gave Buck Fitzgerald, the coaches son at Pearl-Cohn a scholorship - just to get Henderson. The coach said Henderson, is not going to UT unless my son is part of the package. Fitzgerald may have played a down or two. A majority of these schools recruit certain players, to keep them from playing a conference rival.

The other part is {in some cases} our schools do not go after the top players.

I laugh my butt off - when they end up transferring to a HBCU.

Re: It's much deeper than that.....

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
It just pisses me off some time the way the deck is stacked against HBCU'S:mad:

Well, I have to agree with the black Republican on this one.

Oh, and I don't have to imagine what the Alabama boosters are doing, I KNOW what they are doing.

I get sick looking at it myself.

I was watching Texas A&M's Sidelines and I saw their athlete dorms and PV and TSU bas better living conditions. But the name is all i takes.

What I don't understand is that a lot of these coaches went to HBCU's and will not send us their kids like they were sent in the past.

A lot of thse kids have no fathers. If the mom is calling the shots, they usually belive anything the white coach says and the kid has no choice but to listen. Sometimes, you got cases where the mom is a little light in the head and will entrust their kids future to a total stanger. But these moms seem to get their brains back when a HBCU school is mentioned. They quick to say no then.

I know of a case where the mom turned over everything to this Nike lady and the Nike lady pimped the kids out to schools of her choice. One day, the mom was told her son signed with a college and she did not even know. But she still let the Nike lady run the kids.

I get sick looking at it myself.

I was watching Texas A&M's Sidelines and I saw their athlete dorms and PV and TSU bas better living conditions. But the name is all i takes.

What I don't understand is that a lot of these coaches went to HBCU's and will not send us their kids like they were sent in the past.

A lot of thse kids have no fathers. If the mom is calling the shots, they usually belive anything the white coach says and the kid has no choice but to listen. Sometimes, you got cases where the mom is a little light in the head and will entrust their kids future to a total stanger. But these moms seem to get their brains back when a HBCU school is mentioned. They quick to say no then.

I know of a case where the mom turned over everything to this Nike lady and the Nike lady pimped the kids out to schools of her choice. One day, the mom was told her son signed with a college and she did not even know. But she still let the Nike lady run the kids.

I hate to be mean. But a lot of you are right about the mothers. They will accept anything a recruiter says. Some fathers will also do the same.

The Panther Fan, did the kid move into the Nike lady's house? I remember reading it in the Houston Chronicle and could only SMH.

EB, you should have went to the Nike Hoops Tourney last week. All the pimps were there looking at these kids. All the national teams were affiliated with Nike.

That lady you are referring to has been around the Houston area. She made her way all the way down to Angleton.

Re: It's much deeper than that.....

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock

And you also have the proverbial HBCU playa hatin family members....you know, the ones that never went to college but will tell them the white man's water is wetter and that they need to go to a PWC.

MB, you hit the nail on the head. These are the same family members that are up on the stage grinning and cheesing when or if "they baby get drafted". They don't know or understand half the stuff Mr. Charlie tells them...all they know is that 'so-so is at BIG TIME UNIVERSITY and he go be on tv'. Half these brothas are undeclared in their majors and they are seniors. (see La. Tech's team today in the Humanitarian Bowl. What the heck is that about!?! But that's another thread)

And those NIKE and Addidas camps are nothing but the devil's playground.

Why can't our successful former HBCU players do the talking for their own schools? I have to wonder what Walter Payton (RIP) said to his son Jarrett when he realized that Jarrett had talent. How did he decide on Miami? Did Walter even suggest an HBCU? What about Jerry Rice's nephew who plays bball at Miami? Did he even mention visiting an HBCU? I know there are countless others out there with HBCU ties.

Sometimes we are our own worse enemy.

I'm Feeling you on that.......

Originally posted by Jag-Tig

MB, you hit the nail on the head. These are the same family members that are up on the stage grinning and cheesing when or if "they baby get drafted". They don't know or understand half the stuff Mr. Charlie tells them...all they know is that 'so-so is at BIG TIME UNIVERSITY and he go be on tv'. Half these brothas are undeclared in their majors and they are seniors. (see La. Tech's team today in the Humanitarian Bowl. What the heck is that about!?! But that's another thread)

And those NIKE and Addidas camps are nothing but the devil's playground.

Why can't our successful former HBCU players do the talking for their own schools? I have to wonder what Walter Payton (RIP) said to his son Jarrett when he realized that Jarrett had talent. How did he decide on Miami? Did Walter even suggest an HBCU? What about Jerry Rice's nephew who plays bball at Miami? Did he even mention visiting an HBCU? I know there are countless others out there with HBCU ties.

Man I hate to sound like I'm talking about someone's who's passed away, but I'm certain Walter Payton told Jarrett not to go to Jackson State. I've heard stories that he had problems with some of the JState staff(W.C. Gorden) after he left. Primarily the spring(when he got drafted) and that summer before reporting to Bears' Camp. Something about his not being able to use the Weight Room at JState. I'm not sure, but it went something like that. Anyway, throughout his career, he wasn't very vocal or very supportive of Jackson State, and that's sad. Especially when his wife was always happy to support and show-up for events. His wife was True-Blue, while he seemed to be Too-Through......

And as far as Jerry's nephew Darius. Man, that kid played at Jackson State anytime he wanted. Lanier's Coach Billups had access to JState 24/7(but I don't know why, JState doesn't get any kids from Lanier). I wished he had gone to Jackson State, but he got pumped up believing he was All-World or something, and he chose Miami, because (I think) Mario Bland from Callaway was already there. I think Darius and this boy from North Mississippi both went together. But I wish we could get our kids to give our schools a fair shot....We have too many kids go off to the PWCs and don't get playing time, then they transfer back to the SWAC and become All-SWAC, and get props, WHEN THEY SHOULD'VE STAYED THEY AZZ AT HOME(HBCUs) TO START WITH!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Year ago I think I read that Jerry Rice's brother told him to go to MVSU. Did I read that correctly?

I can understand when a parent may want their kid to play at one school and the kid choses another. For instance, former Viking running back and Miami Hurricane Chuck Foreman wanted his son to attend his old school. But his son went to Nebraska instead. So I can understand letting a kid make their decision. But I can also understand a parent giving their kid advice if the parent has the knowledge to do that.

As I have said on more than one message board, we have to help the school develop the facilities, and the schools along with us have to do a better job in the area of public relations. But we must quit being our own worst enemies. Sometimes I can only SMH.

Re: Re: It's much deeper than that.....

Originally posted by Jag-Tig

You know, Jag-Tig, thats it in a nutshell. I could not have said it better myself.

Back