The Best of 2001 . . . The Worst of 2001

Deuce

Let's try and do this without smacking.

Let's see your best and worst players, plays, teams, units, performances, etc. of the 2001 Black College football season. You don't have to limit it to the SWAC.

Here's a sample of my best & worst of 2001.

Best Play
November 3rd - Grambling at Alabama State. After scoring a touchdown to go up by ten points, Bama State recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. On the first play from scrimmage Bama State ran a ColeBlooded triple reverse from the Grambling 35 yard line for a touchdown.

Best Catch
December 1st - SWAC Championship Game. Grambling's receiver lays out in the endzone to make a breath-taking catch for a touchdown on about a 30 yard pass.

Best Game
October 6th - Bama State at Jackson St. What can I say, 119 points scored, over 1,000 yards of offense, not decided until the last second. An instant classic.

Best Turn-Around
Alcorn's season. After going 0-11 in 2000, the Braves came to within one game of going to the SCG.

Worst Turn-Around
A&M's season. After going to the SCG in 2000, A&M went a disappointing 4-7, but did end the season winning their last two games.

Worst Way to Treat a Guest
Miss. Valley players taunted the Hornets before the game as they came out onto the field. The incident did not get ugly - the game did. The Hornets rolled to a 57-24 victory.

Worst Reason to go to Houston
No reason. Thanks to SWAC headquarters, Bama State rode a bus all the way to Houston before finding out that the game had been cancelled.

Worst TV Crew
Tie. Who's worse, those lames from BET, or those subs that called the Bayou Classic?

<FONT SIZE=4>WORST CALL</FONT>
Tie.
1. ASU vs JSU-- Officials pick up a penalty for an obvious block in the back on a punt return and gives JSU a touchdown.
2. SCG--Grambling fumbles the kickoff after ASU goes up 24-9. Officials say the whistle had blown. :(

<font size=4>BEST PLAYER</FONT>
Darnell Kennedy

<font size=4>BEST COACHING JOB</FONT>
PV

<font size=4>WORST COACHING JOB</FONT>
Valley
JSU
A&M

<font size=4>WHAT IF?</font>
What if PV had held on to beat SU? I know tbf would NEVER have let the Jags live that down, NEVER!!!!

good picks...

That was an AWESOME catch in the endzone by GSU. I didnt see the tripple reverse in the regular season game, BUT that pass and catch on the FIRST PLAY OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME was one that I will remember.

Originally posted by DAHILL
good picks...

. . . that pass and catch on the FIRST PLAY OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME was one that I will remember.

DAHILL,

I agree. It deserves to at least be tied for "best catch".

Originally posted by DAHILL
BUT that pass and catch on the FIRST PLAY OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME was one that I will remember.

YOU MEAN THE DEFLECTED PASS. NOT SO GREAT AS THE MOMENT THAT IT HAPPENED. AS YOU KNOW THE HE WAS NOT THE INTENDED RECEIVER, THE CATCH WAS NOTHING, BUT IT WAS A GREAT MOMENT DURING THE GAME.

*GREATEST MOMENT: RANDY HYMES LAST SECOND TD IN PORTLAND.
*EVEN GREATER MOMENT: GSU PLACE KICKER BRIAN MORGAN(FRESHMAN) NAILING A 35 YARD POINT AFTER ATTEMPT WITH NO TIME ON THE CLOCK IN PORTLAND TO WIN THE GAME.

MORE TO COME.

2001's Best and Worst

Worst Punt Unit---JState
Worst Kickoff Unit--JState
Most Turnovers Allowed--JState
Most non-Adjusting Coaching Staff--JState allday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for some Good Stuff

Most Likely to get Drafted--T.C. Taylor--WR--JState and Lawrence Story--WR--JState.

Worst TV coverage--BET....They're SLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back