Tacky Funeral Home

MsJag4Jag

Associated Press
Oct. 08, 2001 06:40:00
CROSS TIMBERS, Mo. - A man?s corpse was left on his front porch after a funeral home wasn?t paid for his cremation.

The man?s girlfriend, Nancy King, says she returned to the home after picking up a gallon of milk Friday to find a white bag containing the body of 74-year-old Robert L. Holder, who had died the previous week.

She said Hathaway Peterman Funeral Home returned the body to the house she and Holder shared in the central Missouri town of Cross Timbers.

?I?m just devastated,? King said Monday. ?As soon as I pulled up to the house, I knew what they?d done. He was there, lying on my front porch. ... I could see his blue nightgown through the bag.?

Funeral director Gary Peterman of Hathaway Peterman declined Monday to discuss King?s allegation.

?I think out of respect to Mr. Holder, let?s just let this issue drop,? he said.

Under state law, the funeral home is supposed to contact the county coroner if a body is not claimed by a relative.

The State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, which licenses funeral homes in Missouri, was looking into the matter. The funeral home could face punishment ranging from a disciplinary letter to revocation of its license if the accusations are true, executive director Pat Handly said.

King said Holder, who had served in the Army in World War II, had been released Sept. 26 from a veterans hospital and died of prostate cancer two days later.

?He knew he didn?t have long to live, and he didn?t want to die in the hospital,? King said.

King said she told Holder?s daughter in Oklahoma, his closest surviving relative, that he had died and had wished to be cremated.

But the question of the $1,200 payment was apparently complicated by King?s strained relationship with Holder?s relatives. Because she was not married to Holder, she could not grant permission for cremation.

Jim Miller of Reser Funeral Home in nearby Warsaw picked up the body after it was left on the porch. It will remain refrigerated until Miller can get permission to cremate Holder.

?I?ve been in this business 30 years, but I?ve never seen anything like this,? Miller said. ?It?s something that should have never happened.? ?I?m not worried about the money. We?ll cover the expenses,? Miller said. ?I just want to make this thing right.?

I heard this story this morning on the radio....tacky is a nice way of putting it.

I could think of some more choice words for em.

DAYUM SHAME:(

A similar incident happened about two years ago in Rosenberg, TX. White guys father died and sent him to a Black funeral home. After a few days director asked about agreed upon payment arrangements and son gave him an answer that reflected his annoyance and would pay on his terms. Next morning, dad was on son's doorstep. The story was on the news for a couple of days, and another funeral home came to the family's rescue and donated burial services.

I was about to say it's a shame, but it's not. It's a MF shame.

Back