SWAC.....I can't figure you out

the band fan

Baseball Fan
Feel free to help me out SWAC or anyone.....I said this in another thread but I think it needs to be brought up again

with the baseball tournament coming up, the top 3 teams are TSU, PV, and SU...these three teams have established a solid fanbase, basically drive the black college baseball website and can play outside the SWAC. Why in the hell would the conference up and take the baseball tournament away from Houston (only the 4th largest city :rolleyes:) move it back to Alabama when both Alabama schools won't even sniff the tournament?

Scenario A: The tournament drew real well in Baton Rouge in 2003 but moves to Houston as part of a package (I can accept that)

Scenario B: The tournament draws well in Houston and the hometown teams wins it. Add 3 teams and the tournament draws tremedously since obviously, the 3rd team would be a local team.

I cannot understand if the tournament drew well within Texas and Louisiana, why up and take it away? Yeah, the facility might have been free but this year it was going to make some money if it stayed in Houston. We can't get that basketball tournament to leave the state of Alabama but they love to play around with spring sports. I can really see us going to Itta Bena, Mississippi to watch softball :rolleyes:

If we are ever to going to increase things across the board, something has to be done. Leave certain championships in certain places so we can build something. They refuse to part with the basketball and football sites and then make odd moves in other sports.

Why is Houston hosting the volleyball tournament? :rolleyes:
Why is Itta Bena hosting track and softball? :rolleyes:
Why is Birmingham even in the running for a baseball tournament?

Alabama can host soccer, volleyball and the 2 major sports...

let Baton Rouge or Houston alternate baseball and softball and track on certain years since they've proven they can generate interest.

I feel sorry if your a Southern Jag fan this year, you had to shell out cash to go to Birmingham for football, basketball and now baseball.

The powers that be amazes me.....simply amazing

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DaGSUMan said:
Because we have "Idiots" in charge.

Amen...and I'll gladly co-sign that statement

Even for the basketball tournament...would it be better if we take the Southland's lead and have the higher-seeded school host the game.
MD would have loved it if they had Bama State in Elmore with the SWAC title on the line... and Alcorn-SU for the women's title probably would've had more people there if it were in Lorman rather than B-ham...

TBF: SWAC Baseball tourney on the SU campus was GREAT for the SWAC, and i'm not saying that just because I'm an SU alumnus. Heck all the teams that year were not that from from BR...the crowds came and there were some good baseball played...

Now Houston would be another logical choice for the baseball tournament..for your aforementioned reasons.

But we all know that officials cannot resist the sweetheart deal, so staying in north-central Alabama may suck, but it's a reality we will have to face.

Maybe the SWAC Baseball championships are on a ROTATING schedule, and was predestined to be hosted in Alabama this year. :idea: Same goes for the other sports mentioned. Look for the SWAC baseball tourney to probably be in the 'Sip next year.

Besides, whose to say that the baseball tourney won't draw well in Alabama?

This may make some people mad but I am very tired of going to Bama Land for champoionship games...... GIVE US SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR A CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, whose to say that the baseball tourney won't draw well in Alabama?

it's a proven fact basically, when non-Alabama schools are in Alabama playing for a title, the crowds aren't there. In Shreveport, it wasn't well-attended.

I'll speak for Valley also, most of their team is from the West Coast, it was way easier for their parents to fly in and see them last year than to fly to Mississippi.

yeah, you got a point tbf

If the SWAC baseball tournament was anywhere else, I'm sure it would pull in thousands and sell out stadiums all over.

:smh:

:emlaugh:
mighty hornet said:

If the SWAC baseball tournament was anywhere else, I'm sure it would pull in thousands and sell out stadiums all over.

:whatever:

It's funny how MH'nem drop sarcasm into this discussion...

But since Bama State is a non-factor in SWAC baseball, the sarcsasm is well, sorta justified..

FYI...the baseball tourney on the SU campus did very well..I was there and there were crowds every day..

But MH a quick question...

What if the SWAC basketball tourney was like the Southland's..where the higher-seeded team gets to play on its home court. Do you think that Bama St-AAMU men's tourney title game would've drawn better at either campus...or in B-ham. Now the the reported 6,000 or so attendance in BJCC is really a drop in the bucket

mighty hornet said:

Southern 10, Miss. Valley State 7
(May 04, 2003 at Baton Rouge,LA)

------------------------------------------------------------ Miss. Valley State.. 200 001 202 - 7 13 3 (29-26) Southern............ 222 020 20X - 10 15 1 (43-5) ------------------------------------------------------------ Pitchers: Miss. Valley State - WALL,T.; HAILEY,J.(6). Southern - PORET, C.; FREDERICK,E.(7); URSIN, D(8). Win-PORET, C.(8-0) Loss-WALL,T.(3-4) T-3:00 A-1019 HR SU - WEEKS,R., TOWNSEND, M. Southern wins the 2003 Swac Championship </PRE>

</PRE>

Southern 23, Miss. Valley State 12
(May 03, 2003 at Baton Rouge, LA)

------------------------------------------------------------ Miss. Valley State.. 226 010 100 - 12 13 3 (28-25) Southern............ 635 504 00X - 23 19 2 (42-5) ------------------------------------------------------------ Pitchers: Miss. Valley State - SHACK,J.; GRANTHAM,J.(2); NEELY,R.(4); BROWN,B.(6). Southern - DAVIS, V.; J. Sanchez(3); BEASLEY, A.(3); ANDERSON, J.(6); LEE, A.(8). Win-BEASLEY, A.(5-1) Loss-GRANTHAM,J.(1-4) T-3:00 A-1229 HR MVSU - REYNOLDS,R. HR SU - WEEKS,R., VITAL, K., TOSSAINT, A., TOWNSEND, M. Southern advances to the SWAC Baseball Championship game on Sunday, beginning at 12 p.m. </PRE>

</PRE>

Southern 6, Jackson State 4
(May 02, 2003 at Baton Rouge,LA)

------------------------------------------------------------ Jackson State....... 000 000 022 - 4 8 3 (19-19) Southern............ 100 040 10X - 6 11 3 (41-5) ------------------------------------------------------------ Pitchers: Jackson State - JOHNSON,A; YOUNG,N(8). Southern - DAY, D.; URSIN, D(8); FREDERICK,E.(9). Win-DAY, D.(8-0) Loss-JOHNSON,A(5-4) T-3:05 A-1179 HR JSU - FELTON,R HR SU - WEEKS,R., VITAL, K. Southern will face Mississippi Valley State at 2:30 p.m. at Lee-Hines Field Jackson State will face Texas Southern at 11 a.m. </PRE>

</PRE>

Miss. Valley State 19, Texas Southern 17
(May 02, 2003 at Baton Rouge, LA)

------------------------------------------------------------ Texas Southern...... 300 002 804 - 17 16 4 (19-28) Miss. Valley State.. 001 535 50X - 19 20 8 (25-19) ------------------------------------------------------------ Pitchers: Texas Southern - GUERRA,J; ARAMBUL,J(5); SMITH,BJ(6); WIMBS,J(7); DUPONT,M(7). Miss. Valley State - HAILEY,J.; CHABRECK,J.(7); WILLIAMS,C.(7). Win-HAILEY,J.(7-4) Loss-GUERRA,J T-3:53 A-1059 HR TXSO - DELEON,M HR MVSU - PURVIS,N., KLICK,T. Mississippi Valley advances to the winner's bracket game at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Texas Southern will open day two of the 2003 SWAC Tournament in the loser's bracket game beginning at 11 a.m. </PRE></PRE></PRE></PRE>

Journalist,
I definitely disagree with the tourney being at the highest seeded team's home court.
Attendance wouldn't be nearly what it is now. Most years, the seeds are not set until very late in the season, allowing little time to make plans.

bluedog,
Thanks for proving my point.

Since I have never attended a SWAC Baseball Championship, I would like to know.

1. Ticket price
2. The cost of putting on the tournament
3. Is Houston providing financial support for the tournament?

or what does the SWAC get in return for playing in those places that you all named.

From a business point, what is involved and how does the SWAC Benefit based on the issues raised by those who think the Tournament should not be held in Alabama?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
in Houston - EXPOSURE - you had TSU and PV having a good chance to play in it this year so folks were going to take notice basically, had to take notice

they did not charge last year and they struck some kind of deal with the city to use the facility.

Outside of the 2003, the SWAC ate a lot of baseball tournaments but this year they could've built on their success and made a few dollars.

Outside of free rent, going to B-ham is a lose-lose situation when the nearest team involved is 5 hours away.

In Baton Rouge the tickets prices were $7 and there was 1000 plus in attendence for every game. It should have never left Baton Rouge. As for exposure, we all know Southern gets by far the best media coverage in the swac. The games were all broadcasted on tv locally. There were also a lots of baseball scouts at the tournament and several Major league GM's in attendence.

I'm speaking for Valley man forget that crap ur talking. Fans flocked to our girls softball games, u people kill me with your assumptions about Itta Bena and Valley. Have u everr been to a JSU/Alcorn vs. Valley game in any sport? Those of u that have know that we support our teams especially at home, and that goes for softball too.

bluedog said:
Dang crack not only kills but also make you completely delusional.
ummmm,
you posted a few games with attendance of a lil over 1 thousand.

Is that suppose to be earth shattering, awe inspiring, and something to write home about??????

you people really need to stop trying to act like there is such a thing as SWAC baseball "attendance"

and you got the gall to mention delusional.......
:retard:

the band fan said:
Feel free to help me out SWAC or anyone.....I said this in another thread but I think it needs to be brought up again

with the baseball tournament coming up, the top 3 teams are TSU, PV, and SU...these three teams have established a solid fanbase, basically drive the black college baseball website and can play outside the SWAC. Why in the hell would the conference up and take the baseball tournament away from Houston (only the 4th largest city :rolleyes:) move it back to Alabama when both Alabama schools won't even sniff the tournament?

Scenario A: The tournament drew real well in Baton Rouge in 2003 but moves to Houston as part of a package (I can accept that)

Scenario B: The tournament draws well in Houston and the hometown teams wins it. Add 3 teams and the tournament draws tremedously since obviously, the 3rd team would be a local team.

I cannot understand if the tournament drew well within Texas and Louisiana, why up and take it away? Yeah, the facility might have been free but this year it was going to make some money if it stayed in Houston. We can't get that basketball tournament to leave the state of Alabama but they love to play around with spring sports. I can really see us going to Itta Bena, Mississippi to watch softball :rolleyes:

If we are ever to going to increase things across the board, something has to be done. Leave certain championships in certain places so we can build something. They refuse to part with the basketball and football sites and then make odd moves in other sports.

Why is Houston hosting the volleyball tournament? :rolleyes:
Why is Itta Bena hosting track and softball? :rolleyes:
Why is Birmingham even in the running for a baseball tournament?

Alabama can host soccer, volleyball and the 2 major sports...

let Baton Rouge or Houston alternate baseball and softball and track on certain years since they've proven they can generate interest.

I feel sorry if your a Southern Jag fan this year, you had to shell out cash to go to Birmingham for football, basketball and now baseball.

The powers that be amazes me.....simply amazing

So you expect the SWAC to predict where to have the Baseball Tourney based on what team won it all last year? Or just have it in a town where you won't have to travel.

Since the SWAC Office has to operate on business practices, what City in America who you know will offer a better deal than Birmingham to house the SWAC? In the business world, many organizations get some type of benefits to hold their events in certain cities. However, many cities will not give up anything because we are coming anyway. But for the smart planners, they know what can be offered and if a good package is offered whereas the Chamber of Commerence will ensure sponsorship, I am sure attitudes will change. IMO, B'ham is now the City of choice for the SWAC, until someone come up with a better deal. There are no teams in the SWAC located in B'ham.

The Boot and Texas are not giving up anything, but they expect us to drop millions of dollars when we come.

I feel that the SWAC was Miss, LA, and Texas. First, Ala State joined then recently AAMU. When they joined, it should have been clear then where the swac is based. If they didn't want to come here, they shouldn't have joined. It just shows how incompetent our leadership is, the only way they can make things work is to take free handouts from a place no one wants to damn go (no wonder it's free). Sometimes, free ain't worth it.

Finally, I really don't care how many bama folks showed up, we ain't been in the swac all these years to put us 5 hours out of the way to make stuff convenient for them. If bama folks got so much love for the swac, let them drive and prove it.

Lewis said:
I feel that the SWAC was Miss, LA, and Texas. First, Ala State joined then recently AAMU. When they joined, it should have been clear then where the swac is based. If they didn't want to come here, they shouldn't have joined. It just shows how incompetent our leadership is, the only way they can make things work is to take free handouts from a place no one wants to damn go (no wonder it's free). Sometimes, free ain't worth it.

Finally, I really don't care how many bama folks showed up, we ain't been in the swac all these years to put us 5 hours out of the way to make stuff convenient for them. If bama folks got so much love for the swac, let them drive and prove it.

(See word in bold print above)

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Cry me a river, why don't ya?

'Ol man river, keeps on a' cryin'!

Back