SWAC Announces Women’s Basketball Predicted Order of Finish and Preseason All Swac Selections

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
The Southwestern Athletic Conference announced its 2022-23 Women’s Basketball Predicted Order of Finish and Preseason All-SWAC teams and individual award winners during the league’s virtual media day event on Monday morning. The all-conference honors and preseason poll was voted on by the league’s head coaches and sports information directors.

Jackson State was tabbed as the favorite heading into the 2022-23 season. The Lady Tigers were followed by Alabama State (2nd), Southern (3rd), Alabama A&M (4th) and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (5th) to round out the top five preseason poll selections.

Grambling State (6th), Prairie View A&M (7th), Texas Southern (8th), Bethune-Cookman (9th), Florida A&M (10th), Alcorn State (11th), and Mississippi Valley State (12th) were tabbed to finish 6-12 respectively.

JSU led all preseason poll selections garnering 19 first place votes, followed by Southern (1), Alabama A&M (1), Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1), Prairie View A&M (1), and Mississippi Valley State (1) with each tallying one first place vote.

2022-23 SWAC Women’s Basketball Predicted Order of Finish
  1. Jackson State- 281 (19)
  2. Alabama State- 233
  3. Southern- 217 (1)
  4. Alabama A&M- 191 (1)
  5. Arkansas-Pine Bluff- 186 (1)
  6. Grambling State- 167
  7. Prairie View A&M- 156 (1)
  8. Texas Southern- 155
  9. Bethune-Cookman- 92
  10. Florida A&M- 90
  11. Alcorn State- 57
  12. Mississippi Valley State- 46 (1)
First place votes are listed in parenthesis

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Honestly think they have us WAY too high…. We have an 1 player back from last years team. EVERYBODY new… this may be an ugly one for us.

How many years you been telling yourself this lie 😆 🤣 😂 😹. You don't have the talent/depth to beat coach Reed
they got the talent.... just super young. you talking about having to grow up. they have the gatorade player of the year and I really want to see what ash gray is about (little sister of allisha gray).

seems like swac girls basketball has a much better time recruiting than the men's side.

they got the talent.... just super young. you talking about having to grow up. they have the gatorade player of the year and I really want to see what ash gray is about (little sister of allisha gray).

seems like swac girls basketball has a much better time recruiting than the men's side.
Just because they got "talent" doesn't mean they have our talent. They don't have the talent nor depth to beat Coach Reed

Just because they got "talent" doesn't mean they have our talent. They don't have the talent nor depth to beat Coach Reed
I didn't say they did have the same level of talent or that they would beat jsu & coach reed.

but do you have any thoughts about the women's side being able to recruit better than the men's side? are there any particular players you are excited to see in action that perhaps you haven't seen before?

that's where my conversation is at.

The Lady Hornets return 4 starters. They’ve gotten bigger with this signing class to go with our returning backcourt.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I didn't say they did have the same level of talent or that they would beat jsu & coach reed.

but do you have any thoughts about the women's side being able to recruit better than the men's side? are there any particular players you are excited to see in action that perhaps you haven't seen before?

that's where my conversation is at.

I think both sides get quality talent. Txsu has some impressive wins on the men's side.

Off the top of my head
I'm excited to see Samiya Steele from bama state. Raziya Potter - Pinebluff. Liz Martino, Daphne White, and Angel Jackson- JSU

Yes we are

As far as talent PB running a close 2nd
PB was loaded year year also and didnt do anything.
I think both sides get quality talent. Txsu has some impressive wins on the men's side.

Off the top of my head
I'm excited to see Samiya Steele from bama state. Raziya Potter - Pinebluff. Liz Martino, Daphne White, and Angel Jackson- JSU
Samiayh didnt give me ”star player”…she just played under the best high school coach ive ever seen. He runs a system that is going to get him state championships. He doesnt have a “star“ on his team but has coached the best team in the state (regardless of class” the last 5 seasons. They went 35-0 last year with a 27 point win over the 7a state champion Hoover and wins over 3 nationally ranked teams including IMG Academy. He has a 686-97 record with 9 state championships at 3 different schools. Hazel Green just won their 5th straight championship with no high major basketball prospects.

PB was loaded year year also and didnt do anything.

Samiayh didnt give me ”star player”…she just played under the best high school coach ive ever seen. He runs a system that is going to get him state championships. He doesnt have a “star“ on his team but has coached the best team in the state (regardless of class” the last 5 seasons. They went 35-0 last year with a 27 point win over the 7a state champion Hoover and wins over 3 nationally ranked teams including IMG Academy. He has a 686-97 record with 9 state championships at 3 different schools. Hazel Green just won their 5th straight championship with no high major basketball prospects.

That's true in regards to PB. Dawn stated they were hit with injuries as to the reason they underperformed. On paper, that signing class of a 5⭐️, 4⭐️, and two 3⭐️'s look good to go alone with All Mcdonald Zaay.

I still feel Ayanna Emmanuel should have been Preseason POTY.

Yea I expected Samiya to have better stats that what I saw.

That's true in regards to PB. Dawn stated they were hit with injuries as to the reason they underperformed. On paper, that signing class of a 5⭐️, 4⭐️, and two 3⭐️'s look good to go alone with All Mcdonald Zaay.

I still feel Ayanna Emmanuel should have been Preseason POTY.

Yea I expected Samiya to have better stats that what I saw.
I dont look at stars for females…. Like Davenport who is currently at UAPB. She had a great junior year in high school… wasn’t even the best player on her team senior year.. did nothing at Rutgers and Georgia.. and honestly I dont see her doing anything at UAPB. She had regressed every year since her 11th grade year and thats why she is at UAPB now. Now she WILL be the first SWAC female to dunk in a game… Ive seen her dunk with no effort in high school… Im not talking about fast break when the only person on that side of the court. I’ve seen her dunk off plays easily.

I dont look at stars for females…. Like Davenport who is currently at UAPB. She had a great junior year in high school… wasn’t even the best player on her team senior year.. did nothing at Rutgers and Georgia.. and honestly I dont see her doing anything at UAPB. She had regressed every year since her 11th grade year and thats why she is at UAPB now. Now she WILL be the first SWAC female to dunk in a game… Ive seen her dunk with no effort in high school… Im not talking about fast break when the only person on that side of the court. I’ve seen her dunk off plays easily.

Yea her stats were blah at both Rut and GA but with her size and length she should fair pretty good in the Swac. There aren't many true centers in our conference besides what coach Reed has. Also she wasn't able to beat out Maya Peat so they had to put her at the 4 spot. Dang didn't know she had hops like that. I was hoping Woody would be the first (she almost slammed one down against LSU).

Yea her stats were blah at both Rut and GA but with her size and length she should fair pretty good in the Swac. There aren't many true centers in our conference besides what coach Reed has. Also she wasn't able to beat out Maya Peat so they had to put her at the 4 spot. Dang didn't know she had hops like that. I was hoping Woody would be the first (she almost slammed one down against LSU).
I remember seeing Davenport play her 11th grade year in the state Final Four… she had 20 points, 25 rebounds and 19 blocked shots. But she fouled out with 57 seconds left and the whole game changed in that one minute. I thought I was watching the next Brittany Griner. But later that year thats when she declared ineligible for taking 800 dollars from Team USA and she hasnt been right since. Hopefully this will be a good thing for her. It affected her senior year (when she was finally allowed to play) and her years at Rutgers and UGA. In high school she was simply taller than everyone else. Big difference in high school and college at the center position.

I remember seeing Davenport play her 11th grade year in the state Final Four… she had 20 points, 25 rebounds and 19 blocked shots. But she fouled out with 57 seconds left and the whole game changed in that one minute. I thought I was watching the next Brittany Griner. But later that year thats when she declared ineligible for taking 800 dollars from Team USA and she hasnt been right since. Hopefully this will be a good thing for her. It affected her senior year (when she was finally allowed to play) and her years at Rutgers and UGA. In high school she was simply taller than everyone else. Big difference in high school and college at the center position.

Agreed. Huge difference from highschool and college. She's a F at PB now though. Looking forward to seeing if she can get back on track.

Off the top of my head
I am excited to see jsu and how they do in the absence of ameshya. I don't think I heard but y'all locked reed down right? gonna need y'all to put some skins on the wall this season.

This is the one Im looking out for this year at AAMU… Simmons was conference freshman of the year last year at a D2 in Cali. She averaged 17 there and averaged 34 as a high school senior. We needed a scoring guard. She averaged 18 against D1 opponents.

Back