Su's Sandy Pugh Gets New Contract

THAMES

The Southern University Board of Supervisors gave Head Southern's Women Basketball Coach Sandy Pugh a new contract this past Friday. The new 3 year contract will raise her pay from $50,000 to & 72,000 a year. She will also get a $12,000 a year housing allowance. She also has some incentive clauses such as an extra $2,500 if she wins the SWAC. Her Assistant Coaches were looked at as well.

Giving credit where credit is due, Southern has made a couple of good moves the past week or so. First getting Alcorn back on the Schedule was excellent move and keeping a good coach in place is even better. Good coaches are rare and hard to keep. Coaches will be paid their regular salary if they win or lose. They should be rewarded when they win.

I believe you should pay people what they are worth. Coach Pugh gave Southern its first Womens championship in years. Contracts are negoitated and re-negoiated all the time in the real world. Beside the fact that some title IX issues are also addressed, she and coach Rusty Ponton at Grambling may now be the highest paid women's coaches in the league which should send a message to the rest of the SWAC. IT'S TIME TO MOVE THE CONFERENCE FORWARD AND STOP THINKING SMALLTIME. WE NEED TO CATCH UP TO OTHER SCHOOLS OF OUR COMPARABLE SIZE IN SALARY AND FACILITIES.

Pugh gets a nice raise but she might make more than what the gate receipts take in. SU folks are notorious for not supporting hoops - especially women's basketball. She might be a great find but another 2 good years and she is gone to a school with bigger support.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Blu Panther
Pugh gets a nice raise but she might make more than what the gate receipts take in. SU folks are notorious for not supporting hoops - especially women's basketball. She might be a great find but another 2 good years and she is gone to a school with bigger support.

whatever :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Maroon & Grey
how many games did you attend?

Every game!.............. Plus how many schools you know for women's basketball besides Tennessee to have a strong fan and sell out each game.

Originally posted by JaguarNationAJL

Every game!.............. Plus how many schools you know for women's basketball besides Tennessee to have a strong fan and sell out each game.

Connecticut
Louisiana Tech
Stephen F. Austin

She also has some incentive clauses such as an extra $2,500 if she wins the SWAC.

I GOT A FEELING SHE WON'T BE GETTING THIS BECAUSE THE SWAC IS ALREADY GUARANTEED TO BAMA STATE. WE HAVE THE LADY SHAQ OF THE SWAC. SHE WILL BE DUNKIN' THIS YEAR

So now we're hating when a coach gets a pay raise

no one hating. It is odd that she'll probably get more than what the program generates. Only way you all will top that if you all get the guaranteed NCAA Tourney money. But since you have to split it with the conference even that is not enough.

Like a friend of mine said, you don't want to keep a coach at the SWAC for more than 5 years. You want them to get out and mone up so it shows your program is on the rise.

First of all, I'm glad the women basketball coach at Southern received a pay raised. I think she has done an excellent job. In order to keep good coaches, you must pay them competive salaries.

Second, I don't think any women coach in the SWAC will hold their breath for a pay raise incentive that is based on fan attendance. I think it's safe to say most schools if not all draw less than 1,000 fans a game.

Finally, I don't think losing a coach to another school show progress. If anything it shows something is wrong with your program.

In the past it seem to me coaching at a HBCU is a dead end job. How many of our coaches have went on to coach at PWU, most of them bounce around in the SWAC or MEAC?

Finally, I don't think losing a coach to another school show progress. If anything it shows something is wrong with your program.

It does? Tulsa has lost numerous coaches based on tournament appearances. Look at Kent State's coach. He left thanks to a Sweet 16 appearance. Winning at a mid-major shows progress. Even Hampton's coach capitalized on his success.

At Prairie View, I EXPECT Francis to be gone within 5 to 6 years. I don't want him pulling in retirement at PV. I see 2 or 3 tournament appearances, maybe an upset and in return a bigger gig. The problem with this conference is that people get to settled in and don't look at the big picture. Unless a coach says he plans to stay in the SWAC forever, I don't want to see the same faces every 10 years.

You all should not want to keep Courtney if he does well unless he says he wants to remain in the SWAC (he ain't). Like I said earlier, if a coach does not express interest in staying and does well in the national spotlight, I hope he goes.

As for Pugh, she will eventually want better resources and support. She will NEVER get that at Southern.

As for Pugh, she will eventually want better resources and support. She will NEVER get that at Southern.

Do you care to explain yourself? Have you heard of Title IX?

Fan support I mean. When you play to 123 fans how motivating is that?

No comment on Title IX. Damn budget killers.

Fan support I mean. When you play to 123 fans how motivating is that?

No comment on Title IX. Damn budget killers.

Unless any program.........men or women win on a regular basis.......then and only then will the fan support be top notch.

A question on housing allowance. Do they actually give her $12000 for housing? Or they pay up to $12000 for the house she occupy? Just asking because there is a difference. I would rather have $84,000 in salary and pay my own rent.

SU Lawyers is this a good deal?

I cannot believe she only made $50,000 last year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Mighty Dog
A question on housing allowance. Do they actually give her $12000 for housing? Or they pay up to $12000 for the house she occupy? Just asking because there is a difference. I would rather have $84,000 in salary and pay my own rent.

SU Lawyers is this a good deal?

I cannot believe she only made $50,000 last year.

Based on the SWAC.......pay is not going to be that great.

Unless you coach at a bama school.

I would like to see some numbers.

Does she qualify for $12000 a year or actually receive $12000 actual cash is the question?

Lewis check the public record.

EarlSU, what is the deal on this?

Unless you coach at a bama school.

I would like to see some numbers.

Does she qualify for $12000 a year or actually receive $12000 actual cash is the question?

Lewis check the public record.

EarlSU, what is the deal on this?

WTF......a bama school got to do with anything ? If bama is so great why don't you pay attention to your bama school and not what S.U. is doing.

Originally posted by JaguarNationAJL

WTF......a bama school got to do with anything ? If bama is so great why don't you pay attention to your bama school and not what S.U. is doing.

JaguarNationAJL, you don't have to get upset, but you know SU are our leaders and we don't want to do dumb things up here in Normal. But I like to be impressed not amazed by some of the things I read on the page.

Psy101, will tell you not to get upset when a question is raised. GR understand SU more than I do. I am still learning.

The question is not about what SU is doing, I am more interested in known if she got all she was worth.

JaguarNationAJL, you don't have to get upset, but you know SU are our leaders and we don't want to do dumb things up here in Normal. But I like to be impressed not amazed by some of the things I read on the page.

Psy101, will tell you not to get upset when a question is raised. GR understand SU more than I do. I am still learning.

The question is not about what SU is doing, I am more interested in known if she got all she was worth.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The housing allowance is like $1000 a month. So I think you can buy a hell of a house where the note is $1000 or less. If its more you pay the balance, like $200 or $300 per month. So her monthly check should be around $7000 per month minus taxes and benefits.

Im trying to see your situation with this arrangement? Where is the problem?

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan

In the past it seem to me coaching at a HBCU is a dead end job. How many of our coaches have went on to coach at PWU, most of them bounce around in the SWAC or MEAC?

TSF, this is why I advocate developing BCF and all other sports. We need to set up an outstanding conference that will provide good entertainment week after week. We have the schools, but we need to stop looking at what others are doing and get busy. We spend a lot of dollars on sports entertainment each week. We have two great conference, but they just cannot see the money that can be made, therefore ,someone other than promoters need to make some of this money.

Originally posted by Jagster
The housing allowance is like $1000 a month. So I think you can buy a hell of a house where the note is $1000 or less. If its more you pay the balance, like $200 or $300 per month. So her monthly check should be around $7000 per month minus taxes and benefits.

Im trying to see your situation with this arrangement? Where is the problem?

Jaster, I have received housing allowances, but never came close to spending all of my actually allowances. Benefits are not calculated retirements. So I would rather have $84,000 than to have $72000 and a $12000 housing allowance. But whoever figured this out did it for a reason. I don't know why, but I would not accept it unless forced to. Sometimes individuals who are responsible for paying out salaries can make decisions based on what they will get in retirement. I cannot begin to name all the things that takes place in salary negotiation and this is why good lawyers are necessary. Therefore, when we think we have a good deal, we really don't. But who thinks about retirement at an early age?

From the desk of Seeing Spots, Esq.

The housing allowance is real cash paid on a monthly basis to the coach. It is separate from her salary and thus its tax implications are structured differently. In actuality, she does receive $84,000.00 a year. She also receives other incentives, including those with cash value and/or in-kind services, in addition to the bonuses she can earn based on wins. Although she is employed by a state institution and the amount are subject to the Public Records Disclosure law and the Freedom of Information Act, the terms and specifics are not discoverable.

I hope that answers your questions about how much the Southern University Women's Basketball Coach Sandy Pugh makes, sufficiently. Now answer me this: How much does AAMU women's basketball coach make?

Back