Supreme Court restricts race-based affirmative action in college admissions

bernard

THEE Realist
The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down admissions programs at Harvard and the University of North Carolina that relied in part on racial considerations, saying they violate the Constitution.
The votes split along ideological grounds, with Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. writing for the conservative members in the majority, and the liberals dissenting.

“The student must be treated based on his or her experiences as an individual — not on the basis of race,” Roberts wrote. “Many universities have for too long done just the opposite. And in doing so, they have concluded, wrongly, that the touchstone of an individual’s identity is not challenges bested, skills built, or lessons learned but the color of their skin. Our constitutional history does not tolerate that choice.”

Roberts said the admissions programs at Harvard and UNC “lack sufficiently focused and measurable objectives warranting the use of race, unavoidably employ race in a negative manner, involve racial stereotyping, and lack meaningful end points.”

Great! I can't wait to see how these white folks and Asians find out that Affirmative Action benefitted white women and Asians more then anyone. White males don't get it. They don't get in because the Asians not blacks. Plus once they see how much money they are losing because of those federal dollars it's going to be interesting. Uncle Tom Tom Clarence Thomas mission has been completed. He wanted to get rid of Abortion and Affirmative Action. He is smiling ear to ear.

It has been speculated for some months now that gutting affirmative action could boost enrollment at HBCUs. Howard President Wayne Fredrick said today on CNN that the ruling could put an additional burden on HBCUs to produce more graduates to work in various industries.

These are tRump judges, why would anyone be surprised?

It was Roberts who wanted this a long time ago, it was Bush (43) that appointed him.

It has been speculated for some months now that gutting affirmative action could boost enrollment at HBCUs. Howard President Wayne Fredrick said today on CNN that the ruling could put an additional burden on HBCUs to produce more graduates to work in various industries.

The problem our schools have is not having enough infrastructure in place to handle a increase in enrollment. It would be great to increase our numbers and give our folks a great education.

Burden or opportunity?
The word he used was "burden." In fact, I want to say he said "overburden" in that HBCUs are already responsible for producing an overwhelming number of professionals in various disciplines. But SCOTUS's decision to end AA would create an additional burden to produce even more graduates. I think I understand his point. It's unrealistic for every Black person in America to attend an HBCU for various reasons. Ending AA makes it more of a challenge for Black folks to enroll in selective colleges and universities, making HBCUs (depending on a person's situation) an only option. Some may see this as an opportunity for HBCUs, but for corporations who are making efforts to be more inclusive, the ruling could make those efforts more of a challenge down the road.

The word he used was "burden." In fact, I want to say he said "overburden" in that HBCUs are already responsible for producing an overwhelming number of professionals in various disciplines. But SCOTUS's decision to end AA would create an additional burden to produce even more graduates. I think I understand his point. It's unrealistic for every Black person in America to attend an HBCU for various reasons. Ending AA makes it more of a challenge for Black folks to enroll in selective colleges and universities, making HBCUs (depending on a person's situation) an only option. Some may see this as an opportunity for HBCUs, but for corporations who are making efforts to be more inclusive, the ruling could make those efforts more of a challenge down the road.
Young people have short memories. I see this as an opportunity to once again do for ourselves and not jump in bed with "other" folk so readily.

What's going to happen will be two things:

1. The "top" HBCUs will get more selective, especially those that heavily recruit out of state and those "elite" privates. That will lead to less space for those students that are on the margins.

2. Enrollments will grow at some HBCUs while overall, Black student populations will decrease across the board. This is because most HBCUs are unable to house a consistent influx of growing enrollments, especially when many have tons of deferred maintenance items on hold because of funding.

Ketanji Brown Jackson Skewers Clarence Thomas in SCOTUS' Affirmative Action Ruling​

On Thursday, the Supreme Court voted 6-3 to gut affirmative action programs at universities. The disgraceful majority opinion, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, said higher education can no longer use race as an explicit factor when admitting students, as it may “involve racial stereotyping.”

Ultraconservative Justice Clarence Thomas used his concurring opinion to lament that affirmative action encourages “permanent victimhood” and claimed that Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson had argued that the legacy of slavery “locks blacks into a seemingly perpetual inferior caste.” (Yes he really said “blacks,” not “Black people.”) Jackson responded in a footnote: “[Thomas] does not dispute any historical or present fact about the origins and continued existence of race-based disparity (nor could he), yet is somehow persuaded that these realities have no bearing on a fair assessment of ‘individual achievement.’” Jackson also wrote that Thomas “ignites too many more straw men to list, or fully extinguish, here.”

What's going to happen will be two things:

1. The "top" HBCUs will get more selective, especially those that heavily recruit out of state and those "elite" privates. That will lead to less space for those students that are on the margins.

2. Enrollments will grow at some HBCUs while overall, Black student populations will decrease across the board. This is because most HBCUs are unable to house a consistent influx of growing enrollments, especially when many have tons of deferred maintenance items on hold because of funding.

I agree! The HBCU that are focusing on academics will win with this ruling.

Great! I can't wait to see how these white folks and Asians find out that Affirmative Action benefitted white women and Asians more then anyone. White males don't get it. They don't get in because the Asians not blacks. Plus once they see how much money they are losing because of those federal dollars it's going to be interesting. Uncle Tom Tom Clarence Thomas mission has been completed. He wanted to get rid of Abortion and Affirmative Action. He is smiling ear to ear.
Recently there was an Asian guy complaining about not getting accepted in some Ivy league school because of AA, he tried to say, without proof, that a less than qualified Black person more than likely took "his" spot.
I replied on the Yahoo thread, that maybe the school met their Asian quota, could be he was #51 out of 50, maybe another qualified person got in and he didn't, maybe a legacy person got the spot, or just maybe a less than qualified, non-legacy white person got the spot. Regardless of the unknowns, he chose to blame it on a non-existent Black person, likely to garner sympathy from white people.

I did not expect the rulings on the Alabama Congressional districts and in North Carolina's Moore v. Harper. However, I did expect this.

Yep. But some of us are still gonna be listening to the faux- activists on youtube. "Both parties are the same..." blah blah blah....
I mean, three of the judges were appointed by presidents who did not win the popular vote. And one of them selfishly stayed too long until she died and got replaced by a conservative.

And while both parties might not be the same, one of them seemingly has no trouble setting the conversation and legislative agenda for this country even when they don't have the majority while the other tries to play by the rulebook but continues to get beaten over the head with it.

This is an awesome read by my God Daughter’s mother.

Shocking to absolutely no one . Black folks need to get savvy and start suing to get rid of legacy admissions....see how many YTs start whining.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the current constructed court would pick up a case challenging legacy admissions, considering the demographic that benefits from it, unless it was doing so with intent to over-turn a lower court decision that prohibits it.

Last edited:
Back