SU Spring Football Notes:

Re: (Football)Southern's offense is getting the best of the defense in spring drills

SUGrad06 said:
I was at the SU/ASU game back in 98 when it was at ASU and there were a number of fans on ASU's side as well as in the end zone. That was 6 years ago and I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be even more SU fans there. Also am I hearing this correct that the game will be at 6pm??

Our schedule is not finalized but don't remember us ever playing yall at night at our stadium. We need to play yall at Jackson St. stadium

Re: (Football)Southern's offense is getting the best of the defense in spring drills

SUGrad06 said:
I was at the SU/ASU game back in 98 when it was at ASU and there were a number of fans on ASU's side as well as in the end zone. That was 6 years ago and I can pretty much guarantee you that it will be even more SU fans there. Also am I hearing this correct that the game will be at 6pm??

The word I hear is that, unlike in the past, the SU/Alcorn game will be under the lights.

JRock,

SU will NOT go 13-0 this year. The most games we can play is 12.......

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

PNeck019 said:
The word I hear is that, unlike in the past, the SU/Alcorn game will be under the lights.

JRock,

SU will NOT go 13-0 this year. The most games we can play is 12.......

I am sorry PN but I counted the battle of the bands at the Bayou Classic too (snicker).

SU DB's short on experience

SU DBs short on experience

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Advocate staff photo by Mark Saltz
Southern defensive back Kevin Moffett returns the opening kickoff of the 2003 SWAC Championship Game against Alabama State. Moffett is expected to one of the leaders of the Southern secondary next season.
The most important meeting of the upcoming football season may have already occurred for Southern defensive backs coach Henry Miller.
That's when, before spring practice began earlier this month, he sat down with cornerback Kevin Moffett and cornerback/free safety Victor Phillips.

The two seniors will have to be the leaders as the Jaguars (12-1) replace their top three defensive backs. Neither made an interception last season or has in their careers.

"I know it's a new role, but somebody has to do that," Miller said. "That's their new role. I've talked to them about it. I've explained to them about it. And they just have to answer for me. They've been here the longest; they're going to be OK."

Moffett, who started his career at Ole Miss, has been a dependable reserve and part-time starter the last three seasons, with 38 tackles last season and 74 for his career. His best asset is his blazing speed, recently clocked at 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

"I have to be the one helping and directing," Moffett said. "I have to lead mostly by example, instead of all the hoorah stuff. If the young guys see me doing the things I need to do and being where I need to be, they'll follow.

"There won't be more pressure. As long as I -- and we as a team -- practice hard, we'll be straight."

Phillips broke out last season, with 25 stops, and is prized for his versatility.

Said Phillips, "We just have to show the young guys how to step up. Some guys, it's their first year out there. I'm ready."

With free safety Jarmaul George, the Southwestern Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year, recovering from a broken left leg suffered in November, the Southern football team has none of its top four defensive backs on the field for spring practices.

George had 50 tackles and three interceptions last season.

Four-year starter Lenny Williams, the SWAC Defensive Player of the Year, finished his eligibility in December. And Erin Damond, an LSU transfer who played one season with the Jaguars, has declared for the NFL draft even though he still had one season of eligibility remaining.

Miller likens this group to his first at the school, when he inherited a group thin on experience in March 2000. But in an important distinction, Miller said he thinks this group has more talent, athleticism and speed than that one.

"We have some athletes back there, and overall footspeed will probably be faster," Southern head coach Pete Richardson said. "Experience-wise, we won't have that to start off with. It'll be a process of those individuals learning to play."

Richardson and Miller said the spring practices are serving to teach the fundamentals of assignments and alignments -- along with the check calls to adjust to offensive formations.

"You're trying to put them in position and teach them," Miller said. "You've just got to find the chemistry. I'm just searching. I've got athletes, but I've got to try to find out what they can do and put them in position."

Eliminating what players won't be able to help or adjusting to what players can or can't do will be tasks. And finding depth will also be a key concern.

Miller said he's expecting perhaps two or three newcomers to have an impact come preseason camp in August, but that "what's in the spring is basically the core."

While Phillips and Moffett will have to elevate their games, so will their teammates in the secondary: junior cornerback Jarvis Bridges (two tackles), junior safety Darwon Hammond (one assisted tackle) and junior cornerback Dio Bernard (four tackles) among others.

More than missing George this spring, promising sophomore strong safety Josh Babineaux is also out as he recovers from minor knee surgery.

Meanwhile, senior Gabe LaFrance, who had practiced with the baseball team, has moved back to safety. LaFrance, so athletic that he's also a backup punter, recorded 43 tackles, one interception and six pass breakups as a drop linebacker last season. He has played safety before, as late as last spring.

"The reason why is because Gabe understands it a little bit," Miller said. "He understands the speed of the game.

"Now, I've got to get him to start thinking like a safety."

jstate83 said:
The sched will always be messed up in some way. 2 years ago, we had 7 away games I think. We didn't know what Memorial looked like at one point.

Why is this just accepted without question?

Do the ADs, etc. not care about having more equitable schedules? Demands should be made to the SWAC office.

I know there are several neutral games, but there is no way a team should have more than one more home or away conference game in a season.

Also, no one should have to go to ALST or AAMU in the same year. Same thing with TSU and PVAM. To equal that out, you could say the same thing for SU and ALC, JSU and MVSU, and GSU and UAPB.

Making an equitable schedule is not that difficult. It's not fair that SU had only one away conference game last year, just like it's not fair that we have only one home conference game this year. Perhaps this is why Pete won five of his six SWAC titles in odd years......

PNeck019 said:
Why is this just accepted without question?

Do the ADs, etc. not care about having more equitable schedules? Demands should be made to the SWAC office.

I know there are several neutral games, but there is no way a team should have more than one more home or away conference game in a season.

Also, no one should have to go to ALST or AAMU in the same year. Same thing with TSU and PVAM. To equal that out, you could say the same thing for SU and ALC, JSU and MVSU, and GSU and UAPB.

Making an equitable schedule is not that difficult. It's not fair that SU had only one away conference game last year, just like it's not fair that we have only one home conference game this year. Perhaps this is why Pete won five of his six SWAC titles in odd years......

Nope because this didn't start until Rudy Washinton and his genius took over plus when they rotated out of the 7 conf. game schedule some schools wouldn't sacrifice back to back visit to get the schedule close to normal.

I'm not calling any names but you can guess what state they're from if you like peanut butter.

bluedog said:
Nope because this didn't start until Rudy Washinton and his genius took over plus when they rotated out of the 7 conf. game schedule some schools wouldn't sacrifice back to back visit to get the schedule close to normal.

I'm not calling any names but you can guess what state they're from if you like peanut butter.
:splat:

I knew Gr was gonna bring me up ... btw, how is the next big thing doing old pal?

If you remember my theory that much, I also said that the running game that you guys had would help. I know we are fairly inexperienced at QB this time and the WR will have to get used to Ricks or whoever. However, something that you guys did not have when I made that statement (I believe) was a solid returning offensive line and a stable of running backs ready to roll. I believe you had Conseulor and Nolen behind that sorry pass-blocking line and it showed. You beat teams passing the ball, not running it.

We'll be fine ..... you'll see GR.

bluedog said:

Our situation could have been helped a little had they not sent Alcorn to us two years in a row (02-03). Hell we lost em both anyway.

It still wouldn't have helped our four week marathon tour, but the schedule would have been balanced more in 03 and 04.

Anybody know why this (Alcorn in Mumford 2 yrs in a row) was done?

PNeck019 said:
Our situation could have been helped a little had they not sent Alcorn to us two years in a row (02-03). Hell we lost em both anyway.

It still wouldn't have helped our four week marathon tour, but the schedule would have been balanced more in 03 and 04.

Anybody know why this (Alcorn in Mumford 2 yrs in a row) was done?

PNeck,
That was our(SU's) doing. In 02 we needed another home game and Alcorn had rotated off the schedule. So we got them to play in Mumford like an out of conference game. In 03 they rotated back on the schedule like they were supposed to. Just happened it was already their turn to come to Mumford since we went to Lorman the last time we played them as a SWAC conference game. Can't blame the SWAC for that one.

Alcorn was suppost to play Cal Poly on a return trip. Alcorn didn't want to go that far so we paid Cal Poly and made Southern our non-conference game. I think it would better for us to play yall in the day as usual.

JR said:
PNeck,
That was our(SU's) doing. In 02 we needed another home game and Alcorn had rotated off the schedule. So we got them to play in Mumford like an out of conference game. In 03 they rotated back on the schedule like they were supposed to. Just happened it was already their turn to come to Mumford since we went to Lorman the last time we played them as a SWAC conference game. Can't blame the SWAC for that one.

Well, you kinda can, because it's moronic to allow teams to play each other in years that the games don't count.

You don't see LSU scheduling Tennessee for a non-conference game in years they don't play.

The fact that SU/Alcorn is a rivalry is no excuse. There aren't many rivalries bigger than OU/Nebraska, and they no longer play every year because the conference is divided.

PNeck019,

... because it's moronic to allow teams to play each other in years that the games don't count.

You don't see LSU scheduling Tennessee for a non-conference game in years they don't play.

The fact that SU/Alcorn is a rivalry is no excuse. There aren't many rivalries bigger than OU/Nebraska, and they no longer play every year because the conference is divided.

I whole heartedly agree that it does not make a great deal of sense in my opinion for conference members to play each other in non-conference games!! I do not think we give our institutions enough credit for what we could ultimately deliver to our programs and fans if we take the time to operate outside of the box that often time provides us with so much comfort.

Question: Does the Big 12, SEC or any other major conference with divisions prohibit non-conference games between conference members??? Or is it just a situation where school know they can sell out regardless of the opponent and don't see the need to risk a loss against a fellow conference foe they aren't slated to play.

Back