Story, Taylor uphold J-State tradition

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
April 18, 2002

Story, Taylor uphold J-State tradition

NFL has found cradle of receivers on Lynch Street
By Todd Kelly
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

The NFL has drafted eight Jackson State wide receivers since 1990.

Lawrence Story and T.C. Taylor are hoping that gold mine on Lynch Street gets two more telephone calls from the pros this weekend.

"Jackson State is deep in receiver tradition," Taylor said. "Those guys before us put JSU on the map, so we just want to keep it going."

Story and Taylor ? or Taylor and Story ? have attracted considerable attention from NFL scouts, coaches and general managers in recent weeks. The seven-round draft starts Saturday and concludes Sunday.

Where, exactly, each might be chosen remains a mystery to both players. The Sporting News projected Story to be the seventh-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in the publication's April 15 issue.

"I try to stay away from that stuff," Story said. "The people on the Internet are just taking their opinion and saying what they think will happen."

Taylor is just as anxious.

"Saturday and Sunday can't get here fast enough," Taylor said. "The last two weeks have been tough on me and my family. I've been hearing a lot of different things lately, but you never really know how this draft thing will go. I'm just waiting to get my opportunity to play at the next level."

Story and Taylor ? both of whom are represented by Hattiesburg attorney Bus Cook ? offer a similar package for teams in the market for a big receiver.

Story was measured and weighed at 6 feet 4 1/2, 205 pounds at last month's NFL combine in Indianapolis. Taylor checked in at 6-3, 219.

"Teams like Miami have told us that if we're still available late in the first day or early in the second day, then they'd try to get one of us," Story said. "Each of us brings certain things to the table, so it pretty much balances out."

JSU offensive coordinator Darrell Asberry said there aren't a whole lot of major differences between Taylor and Story, who combined to haul in 139 passes for 2,065 yards and 16 touchdowns last season.

"Story is more of a pure receiver," Asberry said. "He's probably more knowledgeable because he's played the position longer. T.C. has an advantage because he's a former quarterback. He's big and strong, much thicker than Story."

Story (4.61) and Taylor (4.65) clocked similar times in the 40-yard dash at the combine. Both ran faster during personal workouts after returning to campus.

Story said pro scouts are intrigued by his ability to go above defensive backs and catch the ball in the air. Story's vertical jump was measured at 33 1/2 inches at Indianapolis ? about five inches less than the top mark recorded by Florida State's Javon Walker, a former Jones County Junior College standout.

Taylor, meanwhile, might be considered a diamond in the rough after making the switch to receiver near the midpoint of his junior season with the Tigers.

"I think I have tremendous upside since I've only been at the position for a year and a half," Taylor said. "My size separates me from most of the receivers. Cornerbacks are getting bigger in the league, so you need bigger receivers."

That size and strength was one reason the Kansas City Chiefs selected JSU's Sylvester Morris in the first round of the 2000 draft.

Morris was among the latest in a remarkable run of pass catchers who wore the blue-and-white, a list that includes the likes of Willie Richardson, Harold Jackson, Richard Caster, Jerome Barkum and Jimmy Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars, a regular at the Pro Bowl.

"It surely makes the (NFL) coaches look at us more," said Story, who picked up his degree in computer technology more than a year ago. "They've seen Jackson State players go into the league and be productive. I think that does make things a whole lot better for us."

For his part, Asberry thinks Story and Taylor have done their share to continue a proud tradition.

"It's some big shoes to fill following all those great names in the NFL," Asberry said, "but T.C. and Story have been great names here, too. It's up to our guys coming up at Jackson State to fill their shoes."

Back