Stillman men upset No. 1 Montevallo, 69-62

Jafus (Thinker)

Posted by Jaimac on the Onnidan site

TUSCALOOSA | Stillman College scored its biggest basketball victory since moving up to the NCAA Division II level Monday night, knocking off top-ranked Montevallo 69-62 at Birthright Auditorium.

The Tigers avenged a 70-62 loss to the Falcons behind Dustin Campbell?s 21-point effort. Campbell made 8 of 10 shots from the floor and went 5-for-5 from 3-point range to lead Stillman.

Monyea Pratt scored 16 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the field for the Tigers. Wayne Bender added 15 points.

Darron Robinson led Montevallo with 19 points, making 9 of 14 shots from the field. Robinson also grabbed 11 rebounds. Greg Brown scored 14 points, and Marcus Kennedy added 13 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.

Stillman, which shot 58 percent from the field in the first half, led 32-26 at halftime.

Stillman will host Tuskegee at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 3.

MONTEVALLO (62) | Robinson 19, Brown 14, Kennedy 13, Miller 7, Sharpe 4, Jerman 3, Phillips 2.

STILLMAN (69) | Campbell 21, Pratt 16, Bender 15, Malone 4, Shields 4, Kirk 4, Smith 3, Gibson 2.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051220/NEWS/512200341/1015/SPORTS

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Posted by Jaimac on the Onnidan site

TUSCALOOSA | Stillman College scored its biggest basketball victory since moving up to the NCAA Division II level Monday night, knocking off top-ranked Montevallo 69-62 at Birthright Auditorium.

The Tigers avenged a 70-62 loss to the Falcons behind Dustin Campbell?s 21-point effort. Campbell made 8 of 10 shots from the floor and went 5-for-5 from 3-point range to lead Stillman.

Monyea Pratt scored 16 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the field for the Tigers. Wayne Bender added 15 points.

Darron Robinson led Montevallo with 19 points, making 9 of 14 shots from the field. Robinson also grabbed 11 rebounds. Greg Brown scored 14 points, and Marcus Kennedy added 13 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.

Stillman, which shot 58 percent from the field in the first half, led 32-26 at halftime.

Stillman will host Tuskegee at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 3.

MONTEVALLO (62) | Robinson 19, Brown 14, Kennedy 13, Miller 7, Sharpe 4, Jerman 3, Phillips 2.

STILLMAN (69) | Campbell 21, Pratt 16, Bender 15, Malone 4, Shields 4, Kirk 4, Smith 3, Gibson 2.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051220/NEWS/512200341/1015/SPORTS

this game was about 2 weeks ago

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
NABC/Division II Men's Basketball Poll

(Tuesday, December 20, 2005 -- Regular season poll #4)

All records are through games played on Dec. 19. The next poll will be released Tuesday, Jan. 10.

Team Record

1. Virginia Union 4-1

2. Montevallo 10-1

3. Western Washington 8-1

4. Saint Joseph's 9-0

5. Southern Indiana 10-1

6. Seattle Pacific 7-1

7. Southwest Baptist 12-0

8. Florida Southern 9-0

9. Mount Olive 7-1

10. West Virginia State 7-1

11. Central Missouri State 10-1

12. Holy Family 8-1

13. Catawba 10-1

14. Winona State 8-3

15. Fort Hays State 10-1

16. West Liberty State 9-0

17. Tarleton State 8-3

18. South Dakota 8-1

19. Lynn 7-2

20. Alabama-Huntsville 9-1

21. Northern State 9-1

22. Alaska-Fairbanks 7-2

23. Philadelphia 8-2

24. Stonehill 7-1

25. Findlay 7-2

Others receiving votes: Grand Valley State 12, South Carolina Upstate 12, Ashland 9, Ferris State 7, Seattle 7, Grand Canyon 6, Massachusetts-Lowell 6, Montana State-Billings 6, Delta State 4, West Georgia 4, Fort Lewis 3, Emporia State 2, Armstrong Atlantic State 1, Fairmont State 1, Minnesota State-Mankato 1, Northern Michigan 1.

http://campus.umr.edu/sports/bbpoll.html

What do you mean this doesnt happen at the D1 level? Montevallo aint no Duke.... you are comparing apples and oranges.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
DAHILL,

I meant what I stated. Again, this does not happen at the Division I level for HBCU programs.

Obviously, Montevallo is no Duke.

Jafus,,, pay no mind to DAHILL. He's just being cantankerous and contrary for pete sake.

Great great story, thanks for putting stuff like this out, i would have missed it. Very very impressed by the efforts going on at Stillman and glad to have them as part of the SIAC,,, and whoever is calling the shots up there is doing a heck of a job getting Stillman back into the groove. Just an outstanding win over a PWC, no question, no brainer, are you kidding me.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
This does not happen at the Division I level for HBCU programs.

I agree. But at the same time I expect it to happen on the D2 level. They are all working with basically the same athletic budgets, with similar facilities. Coach K's salary is probably greater then the mens basketball budget of the entire SWAC. When you make 2.5 million you better not lose to an HBCU or any other small college.

tsutiger said:
I agree. But at the same time I expect it to happen on the D2 level. They are all working with basically the same athletic budgets, with similar facilities. Coach K's salary is probably greater then the mens basketball budget of the entire SWAC. When you make 2.5 million you better not lose to an HBCU or any other small college.

,,,, weeeeeeeeeell eeasy now,,,, Montevalo and Stillman/Tuskegee with the same facilities???? i dunno about that my friend. i mean, Stillman? these guys are bout like the HBCU college sports equivalent of Hiram Abiff in dis mug. ;) They were non-existant (at least in football, and thus generally speaking in college athletics) just a few years ago.

easy now. There's a decided difference, just look at the rankings also. Stillman took out the #2 team and aint' even ranked for God sake chief, das right up there with taking out, who was it, Texas Southern as a Div III team in football,, i mean c'mon now. give deez mugz dey props.

Bartram said:
,,,, weeeeeeeeeell eeasy now,,,, Montevalo and Stillman/Tuskegee with the same facilities???? i dunno about that my friend. i mean, Stillman? these guys are bout like the HBCU college sports equivalent of Hiram Abiff in dis mug. ;) They were non-existant (at least in football, and thus generally speaking in college athletics) just a few years ago.

easy now. There's a decided difference, just look at the rankings also. Stillman took out the #2 team and aint' even ranked for God sake chief, das right up there with taking out, who was it, Texas Southern as a Div III team in football,, i mean c'mon now. give deez mugz dey props.

I didn't say Stillman's facilities were as good as Montevalo's. I was speaking of HBCU's in general when compared to PWC's that play on the D2 level. And it's not a decided difference. If it was an HBCU wouldn't have won the National Championship last season.

Even if their facilities are better it's not like Montevalo is a house hold name.

tsutiger said:
I didn't say Stillman's facilities were as good as Montevalo's. I was speaking of HBCU's in general when compared to PWC's that play on the D2 level. And it's not a decided difference. If it was an HBCU wouldn't have won the National Championship last season.

Even if their facilities are better it's not like Montevalo is a house hold name.

oh, ok,,, better facilities,,, but there again,,, the rankings man,,, what about the rankings? i don't see Stillman on dat list nowhere to be found chief,,, what about that?????? without question gotta give Stillman HUGE props on that point alone,,, i guess you could throw in that them being so close to Montevalo that it's building into a "rivalry game" and you can throw out the records and Stillman played way over their heads and Montevalo took Stillman for granted and/or was flat,, but still,,, give Stillman some love here. Very very huge win for Stillman I would say.

Montevallo's all american guard is injured and did not play in the game. They split their two games. Props has to be given to Leon Douglas's team though. They return their starting five plus his brother the coach at Lawson State JUCO sent him his two best players. The SIAC should be interesting. Roosevelt Sander's Mile College team beat Stillman the week after they beat A&M in Huntsville. Stillman has I beleive 5 losses on the season. That's why they are not rank. Stillman's basketball and baseball teams consistently beat Bama State, Tuskegee and A&M in the 70s. It's good to see their team finally returning to a competive level.

damn why can't people just be happy that an HBCU pulled off a big win against a team that THEY say is a power? Why are WE always the first to discredit our own?

Congrats to Stillman....:tup:

Stillman also have a bunch of transfers from D1 that has made them as good as they are this year. I'm just happy to see they are still kicking butt.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think the point Jafus was making is that we are able to compete with the best at the DII level whereas our so called D1 schools have been laughable when they play teams anywhere near the top 10.Folks don't want to admit that the MEAC and SWAC are nowhere near many of our D1 counterparts when it comes to being competitive or even financial support for our athletic programs.It is no surpise that the SIAC has been the most competitive in BCF on a national level and the CIAA has done the same in basketball because they play at a level where they can be competitive.I can think of only a few schools that have played like they belong in D1 in football and basketball and they are JSU,GSU,SU,FAMU,BCC,andASU for football and HIU and SCSU for both football and basketball.I would give AAMU an honorable mention for football because they are almost always in the mix to win the SWAC east but the SWAC is considered one of the 2 worst conferences in 1AA.How many other conferences have teams that not only play but get beaten badly and consistently by DII squads.The time has come for us to sh#t or get off of the pot with regards to us deciding to either making a commitment to being competitive in D1 or dropping down to DII.

I believe Jafus makes an excellent point. I just don't see the commitment to building solid Division I basketball programs in the SWAC. And we continue to get worse almost every year. I remember when Alcorn State under Davey Whitney would give major programs a tough battle. I remember SWAC teams going to the NCAA or NIT Tourney in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s and giving major schools a tough time or even pulling off an upset. Now, we are becoming perennial NCAA play-in game participants. And we have had trouble even winning in those. :smh: Our schools are going to have to commitment to growth or we might as well head to Division II in basketball and football.

:topic: It really bothers me that it appears looking at our schools' athletic budgets that football revenue is being used by our school presidents and adminstrators to almost solely fund other athletic programs. This not only hurts football by taking away its revenue, which doesn't allow it to grow, but it also cripples the other sports by making them depended on football revenue instead of having their own budget. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that our school presidents are getting away with not allocating very much money to athletic programs by using our increased football revenue to fund the other sports.

BISON-2K1 said:
I think the point Jafus was making is that we are able to compete with the best at the DII level whereas our so called D1 schools have been laughable when they play teams anywhere near the top 10.Folks don't want to admit that the MEAC and SWAC are nowhere near many of our D1 counterparts when it comes to being competitive or even financial support for our athletic programs.It is no surpise that the SIAC has been the most competitive in BCF on a national level and the CIAA has done the same in basketball because they play at a level where they can be competitive.I can think of only a few schools that have played like they belong in D1 in football and basketball and they are JSU,GSU,SU,FAMU,BCC,andASU for football and HIU and SCSU for both football and basketball.I would give AAMU an honorable mention for football because they are almost always in the mix to win the SWAC east but the SWAC is considered one of the 2 worst conferences in 1AA.How many other conferences have teams that not only play but get beaten badly and consistently by DII squads.The time has come for us to sh#t or get off of the pot with regards to us deciding to either making a commitment to being competitive in D1 or dropping down to DII.

Dude are you for real? All you did was name some of the largest HBCU. What makes you think those schools "have played like they belong in D1"?

tsutiger said:
Dude are you for real? All you did was name some of the largest HBCU. What makes you think those schools "have played like they belong in D1"?
I meant 1aa in football and D1 in basketball.Notice only HIU and SCSU are listed for basketball.

AAU ball in the summer is what hurt HBCUs...plenty of hidden talent is being discovered and overhyped due to these rankings..

at one time..no one was going into the delta and scouting Mississippi kids so plenty of them ended up at Alcorn, Jackson, Valley, etc..

now, these kids are playing summer ball on a weekly basis and one good weekend usually parlays into a scholarship. That's why college ball is so watered down now.

Interesting!!

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

Next Top 25: Jan. 1
Record

1. Gonzaga (31) 9-2 775 1
2. Northern Iowa 10-1 713 2
3. Bucknell 8-1 702 3
4. Winthrop 6-2 655 5
5. Indiana State 8-0 607 13
6. Creighton 6-2 506 7
7. Ohio 5-1 501 8
8. Iona 7-1 462 6
9. Wichita State 9-2 461 9
10. Buffalo 8-1 407 10
11. Old Dominion 7-4 392 4
12. Missouri State 7-1 391 11
13. UNC-Wilmington 9-2 383 12
14. Montana 9-1 256 24
15. Davidson 5-3 252 14
16. Wisconsin-Milwaukee 5-3 233 15
17. Cal State Fullerton 4-2 232 18
18. Hofstra 7-2 231 20
19. Drexel 7-5 188 23
20. Western Kentucky 6-4 137 19
21. VCU 7-2 132 NR
22. Pacific 6-4 127 16
23. San Diego 8-3 109 NR
24. Loyola-Chicago 8-2 102 22
25. Tennessee Tech 8-2 101 NR

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES: Northeastern 98, South Alabama 97, Sam Houston State 94, George Mason 91, Northern Illinois, 89, Southern Illinois 83, Oral Roberts 81, Northwestern State 59, Bradley 29, Drake 22, Akron 21, Illinois Chicago 21, Middle Tennessee 20, Gardner-Webb 20, Denver 19, Toledo 19, Wagner 16, Kent State 15, Butler 13, Loyola MD 13, Texas A&M Corpus Christi 13, High Point 12, Idaho State 10, Murray State 10, Miami Ohio 9, UNC Greensboro 7, St. Mary's 6, Cal State Northridge 5,
Georgia Southern 5, Harvard 4, Santa Clara 2, Valparaiso 1.

VOTING PANEL: Mike Adras (Northern Arizona), Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Bobby Braswell (Cal State Northridge), Will Brown (Albany), Tim Buckley (Ball State), Rick Byrd (Belmont), Dave Calloway (Monmouth), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), Bruiser Flint (Drexel), James Fox (Davidson), Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan), Brad Holland (San Diego), Joe Jones (Columbia), Rob Judson (Northern Illinois), Danny Kaspar (Stephen F. Austin), Tod Kowalczyk (UW-Green Bay), Jim Larranaga (George Mason), Kyle Macy (Morehead State), Bob Marlin (Sam Houston State), Gregg Marshall (Winthrop), Greg McDermott (Northern Iowa), Steve Merfeld (Evansville), Porter Moser (Illinois State), Jimmy Patsos (Loyola MD), Vann Pettaway (Alabama A&M), Sam Scuilli (Santa Clara), John Shulman (Chattanooga), Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts), Bob Thomason (Pacific), James Wilhelmi (Howard), Ralph Willard (Holy Cross).

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Continent, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Sun Belt, West Coast.

Oral Roberts head coach Scott Sutton is the chairman of the Top 25 voting panel for the 2005-06 season.

The CollegeInsider.Com Mid-Major Top 25 is now in its seventh season of existence.

Back