Steve McNair on Rome Burning

northern tiger

Steve McNair had on a SWAC polo shirt when he was being interviewed by Jim Rome yesterday. I thought that was kinda of cool for someone of his stature in the NFL to still represent. Too few of our HBCU athletes after gaining successs in pro sports tend to forget where they came from. For example, Jerry Rice.

Originally posted by northern tiger
Steve McNair had on a SWAC polo shirt when he was being interviewed by Jim Rome yesterday. I thought that was kinda of cool for someone of his stature in the NFL to still represent. Too few of our HBCU athletes after gaining successs in pro sports tend to forget where they came from. For example, Jerry Rice.

That's not a true statement. Jerry aint forgot. Believe that. Only thing Jerry may have had an issue with former Valley AD Chuck Prophet. But so did other folks. Jerry still lets you know he went to Valley.

Bro. please know of whatyou speak before you say things like that, you'd be amazed at who actually surf this site...trust me.

:(

If I'm not mistaken, Jerry Rice helped purchase those uniforms Valley got last year. Also, I remember reading about him buying the basketball team sneakers and warm-up suits the last time they went to the NCAA tournament.

Also Jerry wanted to donate some money to Valley a few years back, but then President (Sutton) wanted the money earmarked for general funds and not the athletic department. So he ended up not giving the money. (So I think the problem was the President and not the AD) I think he and Chuck are okay.

For people who do not live in SWAC COUNTRY, it is not common knowledge that Jerry Rice went to Valley. I did not know where the man went to school until I got to JSU in 87'. He was all world by then.

Well maybe you didn't , I don't know what kind of lifestyle you lead but for crying out loud they only said it about a million freakin times when he'd score a touchdown and its only plaster on every sports internet site and nfl media guide.

Originally posted by PV-PRIDE
Also Jerry wanted to donate some money to Valley a few years back, but then President (Sutton) wanted the money earmarked for general funds and not the athletic department. So he ended up not giving the money. (So I think the problem was the President and not the AD) I think he and Chuck are okay.

Did you see the ESPN 100 Greatest of the Century profiles a few years ago. Well they interviewed Chuck Prophet when they did the Jerry Rice profile. Chuck was not that nice about Jerry. He made comments that he wished Jerry would do more for Valley. Now I don't know if Jerry had any issues with Dr. Sutton or not. Maybe he did and Prophet didn't realize it. But it sure seemed Prophet had a little issue with Jerry. So that's why I say Jerry may have had some problems with the AD. My HS classmate played ball with Jerry at Valley and I know he has mentioned that Prophet was not that well liked by the athletes. But hey all we were disputing was Northern Tiger claim that Jerry don't represent the SWAC and Valley. I was lol at Jerry hosting BET countdown of his top 10 songs on Mad Sports last year. All through the countdown he kept talking about Valley and Totten.

Speaking of Chuck Prophet......

I had breakfast with Prophet and Dr. Newman Saturday morning at the Valley Brunch held at the Crown Plaza. And Prophet was talking about Jerry then. And Dr. Newman even acknowledged Jerry's contributions to Valley's athletics....

Maybe Prophet and Rice had some issues once or twice, but it's certainly NOT on the 'front' burner.....

:smh:

I guessed somebody missed that '87 part. Was the internet around in 87'? I won't even bother with that life styles comment because that would be a waste of time. The point is, how many people watching the show knew what SWAC stood for And BE HONEST. The SWAC ain't a priority the way some people think. There are people who are living their lives perfectly fine without attending a classic football game.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Speaking of Chuck Prophet......

I had breakfast with Prophet and Dr. Newman Saturday morning at the Valley Brunch held at the Crown Plaza. And Prophet was talking about Jerry then. And Dr. Newman even acknowledged Jerry's contributions to Valley's athletics....

Maybe Prophet and Rice had some issues once or twice, but it's certainly NOT on the 'front' burner.....

T-Made, that's good to hear. I was just shocked to hear those comments on that profile of Jerry. Maybe they buried the hatchet.

Similiar talk around Jackson when WC Gorden was the AD and the word was that he and Walter Payton did not get along.

I guessed somebody missed that '87 part. Was the internet around in 87'? I won't even bother with that life styles comment because that would be a waste of time. The point is, how many people watching the show knew what SWAC stood for And BE HONEST. The SWAC ain't a priority the way some people think. There are people who are living their lives perfectly fine without attending a classic football game.

Actually yes the internet has been around since before 87 maybe not in mass access like it is now but yes. As for as the SWAC not being a priority, what the "L" are you talking about? Your statement was that not many people knew that he was from MVSU, my comment was basically saying that's hard to believe given the fact that almost every time he score a touchdown that would be acknowledge.

Originally posted by Robber
Have y'all seen his daughter??? Ooooooooo Weeeee!!!

Yeah, I've seen her....... Ooooooo Weeeee is right..:nod:

But there were some striaght HOSSES at the brunch Saturday moanin', all wearing that green and red.....

I had love for da Valley that day...:

Originally posted by JR
T-Made, that's good to hear. I was just shocked to hear those comments on that profile of Jerry. Maybe they buried the hatchet.

Similiar talk around Jackson when WC Gorden was the AD and the word was that he and Walter Payton did not get along.

They didn't for awhile. Something about W.C. not wanting Walter to train at JSU during the off-season, after he got drafted by the Bears...... W.C. wouldn't let him use the weight room (or something like that). But Coach Epps (Martin Epps) helped smooth that over....

:cool:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Yeah, I've seen her....... Ooooooo Weeeee is right..:nod:

But there were some striaght HOSSES at the brunch Saturday moanin', all wearing that green and red.....

I had love for da Valley that day...:

yeah she is fine as all outdoors!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Originally posted by PV-PRIDE

Actually the story is that Jerry offered to have the rest of the field connected, forming a bowl, instead of the 2 bleachers, and instead of this it was rumored that Prophet wanted Jerry to give him the money, and Jerry was no, because he didn't think Prophet would use it to add on to the stadium, but I could be wrong. That was the story that I was always told.

Steve McNair had on a SWAC polo shirt when he was being interviewed by Jim Rome yesterday.

I heard he had a jersey like this one on another program.

SWAC_Jersey_Back.jpg
:tup:

Originally posted by jukebox89
I read that Rice negotiated with Nike got a $100,000 deal done for equipment and uniforms.

I thought they had a Reebok logo on the jerseys, and Reebok shoes.... We need one of dem Devils to confirm this.... I don't think the deal was with Nike. Not for the football team.

Back