Southern pushes its faculty for pay cuts

usa today

Sgt Backfire
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Southern University "likely" will ask to declare a financial emergency next week unless nearly all of the faculty agrees to furloughs and shorter termination notices.
Southern's new chancellor, James Llorens, told The Advocate (http://bit.ly/nJkOHR ) Wednesday the budget shortfall proved larger than expected and greater demands are being asked of the faculty. But some of faculty members are balking at the requests, essentially creating a standoff with Southern's administration.

Declaring a financial emergency, called exigency, allows the administration more leeway to lay off tenured faculty and axe academic programs. Exigency is generally considered a serious blemish that could scare away current and potential employees.

Read more.... http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Southern-pushes-its-faculty-for-pay-cuts-2102354.php

This is only the beginning SU...next no classes on Friday....no workers on Friday....I'm praying for you all.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Grambling has already implemented half day Fridays, that began last year. Dr. Pogue has done well on prioritizing, furloughs etc.

...next no classes on Friday....no workers on Friday....

This may not be a bad idea a lot of schools should start to investigate. Also, leverage more of the online capabilities as it's now cheaper than hell to implement/track/et al. :read:

Hoping it works out for all SWAC schools as this new "process" endures.

This may not be a bad idea a lot of schools should start to investigate. Also, leverage more of the online capabilities as it's now cheaper than hell to implement/track/et al. :read:

Hoping it works out for all SWAC schools as this new "process" endures.

I agree. When I went back to school for my 2nd BS degree, a lot of the programs (School of Medicine, Nursing, Allied Health, etc) did not have classes on Friday. This was back in 2004.

The idea of on-line degree programs has hurt a lot of schools, not just HBCUs. I really would like to see more HBCUs have online degree programs, not just distance-learning courses.

We (really) have to do a better job at prioritizing and start putting people in place who will plan better and have more innovative ideas.

Back