Snare drum question

atl hornet

I’m a low brass player, & my knowledge about percussion isn’t that great. Is there a different name for the type of snares SU, JSU, Alcorn, & Dega use vs those with the high pitch sound like FAMU, Bama State, Cookman & other sections?

Although we use the high snares at Bama State, I’ve always preferred the way SU & JSU’s snares sound. It reminds me of the old drums the military used to have for battles.

I’m a low brass player, & my knowledge about percussion isn’t that great. Is there a different name for the type of snares SU, JSU, Alcorn, & Dega use vs those with the high pitch sound like FAMU, Bama State, Cookman & other sections?

Although we use the high snares at Bama State, I’ve always preferred the way SU & JSU’s snares sound. It reminds me of the old drums the military used to have for battles.

Although the drum does make a difference, it's usually the head and the tuning that makes the most difference. Kevlar is the name of the head/style that produces that "popcorn" type snare sound. Heads that have less "give" coupled with tightening the lugs on the top and bottom of the drum give a more popping sound. Heads with more give and looser tuning create more of the military sound.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Although the drum does make a difference, it's usually the head and the tuning that makes the most difference. Kevlar is the name of the head/style that produces that "popcorn" type snare sound. Heads that have less "give" coupled with tightening the lugs on the top and bottom of the drum give a more popping sound. Heads with more give and looser tuning create more of the military sound.

wow thanks man..ive been wondering what the difference was for years lol

lol - same here. For some reason that military sound gets the attention of folks that you've arrived - especially when you march in.

Those higher pitched drums tend to sound better with cadences when marching in. Not the same effect

It'll be interesting to see BCU in the SWAC because Sudden Impact has a little of a corp style feel to their section. It'll be a contrast to the current SWAC drum lines besides PV and maybe TXSU.

Guess I grew up a bit more partial to that corps perc sound which was another thing that attracted me to PV. Never really been a fan of the really deep sounding snare.

Back