Small La. school produces big-time football program(although growing criticism)

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Now, I'm showing my age but during the 70's Sicily Island High School ran the Notre Dame box and kicked mucho azz.

Oh yeah, I forgot about you all. I hated that box. You guys was the only ones that I dislike playing against. Well, maybe Winnsboro with that overload to one side. But that box gave me the most trouble to figure out who had the ball and our coach could do nothing the week before to prepare us to stop it. Other than, "Tackle anyone that runs across the line. I want to see EVERYONE on the ground." That was his way to prepare us to stop that formation. Unfortunately, it did not work. i believe you guys had the most yards ever when you played us. MikeB, check you all's record books and see what is the most rushing yards you all had and against what school.

Kinda hard to say because we ran the ball dayum near all the time. I remember my senior year we had played 7 games and had only attempted something like 20 passes. Of course all of them were completions or dayum near scores because teams would be so surprised. Our fullback did the passing and had a cannon of an arm. In fact, he was the best player to ever come out of Sicily Island since I've seen them play. He played fullback at Grambling (74-78)...his best season was his sophomore year when he rushed for over 800 yds as a backup. Missed his junior year and was injured (hamstring and knee) his senior year. However he did outduel Perry Harrington and Jeffrey Moore when we played Jackson State...he had 98 yds in 10 carries with 2 scores.

When we played, the tailback...fullback, and wingback all got carries but I recall several 400 yd rushing games were the norm
(our 2nd string tailback finished 5th in the district in rushing...those guys were 1 (tb), 2(fb) 4(wb) in rushing...the wingback was #2 in Northeast La is scoring. Later they relied more on the tailback as the primary ball-carrier...I know one year Spencer Douglas (probably played against you) rushed for 390plus against Newellton.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
One of the Cenla's best football players was Fred Bailey from Peabody. Fred played special team and receiver for Southern in the mid 90's. He also played for Peabody's basketball team that won the 4A State Championship in 1992.

Correction, Menard is not in Lecompte, it's a Catholic high school in Alexandria.

I know one year Spencer Douglas (probably played against you) rushed for 390plus against Newellton.

That was during my year! I remember Spencer. I could not even come close to touching him and I played DE. When I did touch him, the WB had the ball. He had about that much against us. All I could remember was seeing him run down the field like he was playing the game by himself. :shame:

Where is Spencer at now?

Spencer lives in Los Angeles now...he and one his older brothers has a auto mechanic shop or something like that. He's doing well, I see him every summer. He had an older brother that was my peer who was killed earlier this Spring (so I got to see him twice).

I was teasing him that he was starting to look like me around the middle. He has a son that lives in SI that is a good runningback at the junior high. Unfortunately, they don't have football on the high school level. I think they're gonna work something out so that those kids can play at Block.

Unfortunately, they don't have football on the high school level. I think they're gonna work something out so that those kids can play at Block.

:confused: What happened?

Glad Spencer is doing good. I would like to see him in the pros. Right along with Dexter Butcher (who gave us so much problems his freshman year in HS).

Both of those guys were really good running backs. Dexter was moves and speed...Spencer was speed and power. Although he was only around 195 lbs, he ran like a 225 train. I used to tell him that he could score so many more touchdowns if he would fake...He told me that he had moves but it was more fun to feel people groan when he ran into them.

I once saw him make a hit from his free safety position that was a clean below the waist tackle. It was so vicious the referee dropped a flag off instinct (he later waved it off). The thing was that it was on an open field running play where all he did was come up and crush the runner!

Both of those guys were really good running backs. Dexter was moves and speed...Spencer was speed and power. Although he was only around 195 lbs, he ran like a 225 train. I used to tell him that he could score so many more touchdowns if he would fake...He told me that he had moves but it was more fun to feel people groan when he ran into them.

I sat and watch Dexter (my sophmore year in HS) run up and down the field like he was a rabbit on a fox trail. That kid had too much speed.

Now Spencer, you shole is right. He felt like a 225 train. I didnt ever see him put a move on anyone. And by the way, I was one of those persons that groaned after he ran into. :nod2:

Originally posted by GramFan
Nice

I don't know very much about Avoyelles Parish but I did get to know some bruhs from there while I was in college. In fact, my best friend/college roommate is from Bunkie. Been to Bunkie many times and it's country as "all get out." Bruhs from that way are pretty cool though. Oh, and yes, "Bill" Belt is the sheriff.

Question for ya though. I have been trying to recall this guy's name for a long time. There was a running back in the early 80s that was tearing up Louisiana football, stat-wise. He was from Cottonport and may have gone to Grambling. Do you remember this guy?

Kelso Williams graduated Cottonport High School in 1985 as the all-time leading rusher in Louisiana high school history. He did go to Grambling and I watched him play in one Classic on tv. I believe grades did him in. My brother-in-law played with him at CHS and still lives back there. I'll try to get y'all an update next time I see him.

K. Williams' record was broken by Ascension Catholic's Germaine Williams in 1989. Germaine first played at LSU and may have???? transferred to Southern to finish out. I'm unaware if he still holds the record.....

Originally posted by D-NICE
Gram Fan, and PNeck, what chall know about Avoylles Parish? My father is from Mansura, and I've spent many a childhood summer in Avoylles Parish, though I haven't been there in a while. Is Bill Belt still sheriff?

PNeck, Chad Lavalais is my cousin, as are most people in Mansura, Marksville, Cottonport, and Simmsport. I still see myself getting off of that Greyhound Bus in front of the gas station on Main Street, right across the street from the movie theater.

NICE

Marksville native here, born and raised until I came to school in LC in 1989.....the wife is from Cottonport.....

Bill Belt is still the sheriff. He graduated high school with my mom.

I don't know Chad personally, but my sister does. I was good friends in high school with several of his cousins. I worked with his mom one summer (for Bill Belt...lol) and I know his dad fairly well.....

Originally posted by PNeck019
K. Williams' record was broken by Ascension Catholic's Germaine Williams in 1989. Germaine first played at LSU and may have???? transferred to Southern to finish out. I'm unaware if he still holds the record.....

I believe that the all time record belongs to former Winnfield, and Michigan star, and current Chicago Bear Athony "A-Train" Thomas. I remember him breaking the record in his senior season after starting 4 years at Winnfield. He was always a man amongst boys in high school.

I was at his last high school game. The W-Tigers were beaten by Jennings (head coach Rusty Phelps graduated from Winnfield) in the playoffs.....

Back