Should Tiger Woods take a stand on Augusta?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Why are these mugz piling on Tiger so about the Augusta thing? Why does HE have to "take the lead" on this issue? It seems to me you got a guy here who has little to no "traditional problems" off the field, the media can't dig up a scandal on him, so they got to find SOMETHING to detract from him. I just don't see why they are trying to force him to take a stand; the guys not an activist and shouldn't be "forced" into being one.

Tiger's Stand

Tiger has already taken a stand. He said he believes that there should be women members at Augusta when the membership decides to do that. Since he is not a member, he has no voice in the matter. Simple

No, it is not the media that is dragging him into the fray. Rather it is the woman who has initiated the entire frakas. She is the one who called out Tiger. The media just responded to her.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Interesting interview on ESPN the other night, and replayed as the Sunday Conversation.... Tiger Woods One-on-One

Stuart Scott bringz up a good point: Both Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholas are dues paying members of Augusta, why haven't they been asked any of these questions, especially on camera? What about Vijay Sing, or Phil Mickelson, or David Duval?

I thought Tiger handled the interview well, simply stating that because he is the #1 golfer in the world, it comes with the territory, but yes, he has, made his stand.

Sure he should and has

He's frank enough to say what he feels is necessary. There are many avenues that he could/has explored/expedited.

dacontinent, Martha Burks initially through Tiger into the fray, but since then, it's been more media driven than anything, most recently the Editor of The New York Times.

I've thought all along, that only targeting Tiger was unfair. Sure he's a minority, and the number 1 golfer in the world, and probably the most recognizable athlete world wide, but to put all of the weight on his shoulders, is not only unfair, but simply wrong.

I said on a thread a few months back, when the issue first came up on the sports board, that The Masters survived, and trhived, before Tiger, and it will do so when he's gone. I also thought Nicklaus, Palmer, and Trevino carried more weight than Tiger, because though Tiger is great, Nicklaus, and Palmer, more so than Trevino are apart of the establishment. Byron Nelson is still living, and they don't question him either.

As far as the ex CBS Sports head resigning trying to make a stand, is worthless to me, because it took him 25 years of being a member before he realized that women weren't allowed membership in the club, and within those 25 years blacks weren't allowed either. So he can keep his fame seeking jesture, and shove it.

It amazes me that Martha Burk initially went after Tiger, but where was her organization, when blacks weren't allowed in Augusta National? I didn't see her leading the crusade then, and I don't see the need for Tiger to lead the crusade now.

NICE

Here's my take on exclusive memberships in general...

I for one would not want to give one red cent for membership to an organization, order, sect or entity that did not want me to be a part of it.
I am a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity Inc., and there are a whole lot of individuals that don't have the "right" to be in that organization. Women for one, cannot be members, why???...because our organization is not for them.

We have a problem in this country; we are constantly trying to cater to the "lowest" common denominator. There are a lot of freedoms and privelages that I enjoy as a black male that I don't want white men or women to be a part of.

I got mad when I heard that Martha Burk tried to put Tiger out there by saying that if blacks in the 60's took the same stance as he has that instead of playing, he'd be caddying. I called in to a local talk show here in Jackson about her comments.

I basically stated that the civil rights movement was primarily about segregation of public facilities that black tax dollars were paying for, and that segregation was "taxation without representation". I recall we declared our independence from England for that verysame reason.

Anything Public should be open to all members of the community, wheras Private clubs and the like should remain just that.

I say F*** Agusta, and that communist broad calling Tiger out as well.

When Jesse Jackson compared Augusta to apartheid, I stated to a friend of mine that ole' JJ needs to get his head checked.

Yet another reason that I fully support the lawsuit to declare that JJ does NOT speak for all Black people.

I don't think the Augusta situation is Tiger's fight to fight anyway...

Yes, he's the best golfer in the world, and carries considerable clout, but I don't think the Augusta thing is his fight. Tiger plays golf at Augusta one week out of the year. And there are several other dues-paying members that ought to waging this war. Namely, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholas....

And I hate that Jessie Jackson is even saying anything about this. Who made him our spokesman? He certainly doesn't speak for me?

Now personally, I think women ought to be allowed into Augusta, but I'll agree that it's their (Augusta's) decision to make. They shouldn't be pressured into it. And if the wives and girlfriends and daughters and grand-daughters of the dues-paying members, won't rise-up and cut-off the puddin, and get the men to allow women, then why should anybody else lift a finger on their behalf?

:shame:

Berk? I don't think so.

No, it is not the media that is dragging him into the fray. Rather it is the woman who has initiated the entire frakas. She is the one who called out Tiger. The media just responded to her.

I seem to recall there has always been media grumblings about this issue and Martha Berks and company only recently weighed in. I remember on sports talk radio this whole thing being mentioned before N.O.W. was in the mix. At any rate, the media has his take. Like you say,,, he's given his opinion. Why don't they step da fugg off instead of keep shoving a mic in his grill asking the same dayum thing of him on the issue over and over???? :rolleyes:

I saw the one-on-one also. Again,,, he tactfully got through it. What else do they want; for the guy to personnally lead sit-ins, marches and boycotts? Talk about your peer pressure; sheece!

Stewart Interview

Stuart Scott bringz up a good point: Both Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholas are dues paying members of Augusta, why haven't they been asked any of these questions, especially on camera? What about Vijay Sing, or Phil Mickelson, or David Duval?

Precisely. Das what I'm talkin' bout. Why come dey not all up in dey grill?? :rolleyes:

Here's my take on exclusive memberships in general...

Yes, although i'm left of you, I think there are clearly boundaries when it comes to frats and sororities and certain other aspects of society. As for golf,,, is it that no women are allowed to play golf there, or is it just that they are not allowed to be members? Do they have an all female August membership?? Another good point you raise is about PUBLIC facilities, but now didn't they BLAST Shoal Creek in Birmingham for not having a black member? Didn't Shoal Creek lose tournaments and advertising sponsors until they got a black member (but they still haven't recovered totally)??? I don't know if Shoal Creek was a public or private facility. Generally I would have to concure with your take though; it's a bit much,,, especially by the N.O.W. bunch.

[/B]
And if the wives and girlfriends and daughters and grand-daughters of the dues-paying members, won't rise-up and cut-off the puddin, and get the men to allow women, then why should anybody else lift a finger on their behalf?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! That REALLY puts this thing into perspective!!! classic!!! Yeah, why come their female family members aren't saying anything??? :lmao:

,,,, sidenote: man the JJ blasts; booooooooy,,, mugz turning on Jessie quicker than "Wacko Jacko"! (Michael Jackson) BOY how the worm turns. :eek2:

Re: Berk? I don't think so.

Originally posted by Bartram

What else do they want; for the guy to personnally lead sit-ins, marches and boycotts? Talk about your peer pressure; sheece!

Basically.:rolleyes:

Back