Sheridan Poll After Week #1

If Sheridan wants to do a Poll, they should at least see some games and evaulate the teams properly. The attitude that all HBCUs are the same is reflected in this poll. It about time the SWAC Page start it own weekly poll.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ice Man,

I agree with you on this poll.

I have never been a big fan of the Sheridan Poll, but I posted it for information. I think that Sheridan should not mix Div. I-AA schools with those from Div. II. Furthermore, I question why a Division II school, with a loss (Winston Salem St.) would still be ranked in the top ten among all black college football programs.

Just my opinion.

Sheridan Poll
1. Grambling
2. FAMU
3. Tuskegee
4. NCA&T
5. Bethune-Cookman
6. Texas Southern
7. Jackson St.
8. Tennessee St.
9. Hampton
10. Winston Salem St.

I don't have a problem with the top five, except Tuskegee, simply because they are Division II.

Texas Southern did not exactly blow Prairie View away, and in my opinion they don't deserve that high of a ranking.

After the way Tennessee St. beat a very highly regarded A&M team, they should be ranked much higher.

As I said in my earlier post, no Division II team that lost its only game should be in the top ten among black colleges. No matter who they lost to.

It should look more like this.

1. Grambling
2. FAMU
3. Jackson State
4. NCA&T
5. Bethune-Cookman
6. Tennessee St.
7. Tuskegee
8. Texas Southern
9. Hampton
10. Winston-Salem State

Originally posted by Deuce

Texas Southern did not exactly blow Prairie View away, and in my opinion they don't deserve that high of a ranking.

So that means since Grambling played Alcorn and let them score 22 points (mind you Alcorn lost 11 games last year) should that constitute a #1 position for Grambling?

We did keep PV from scoring.

Here's A True Top Ten Black College Football Poll

1. Grambling
2. FAMU
3. NCA&T
4. Alabama St.
5. Bethune-Cookman
6. Tennessee St.
7. Jackson St.
8. Hampton
9. Arkansas P.B.
10. Texas Southern

Here's how i'd have it...

1. Grambling
2. FAMU
3. NCAT
4. JSU
5. BCC
6. TU
7. Tnsu
8. TxSU
9. Bama St
10. Hampton

Untill Tex. Southern looses they deserve to be ranked. I don't know how much their season will change now that L. Mack is out for the season.

Adam Lamb is a legit QB, as well as a threat.

This Saturday should tell alot about TSU as a team.

As a voting member on the Sheridan poll, the problem is that ALL SID's from ALL HBCU's including I-AA, DII and whatever else.

I also totally agree that a poll for I-A does not need to have DII's in it, but that is what Sheridan wants.

I just wanted to clarify that the SID's from the HBCU's do the Sheridan voting.

:eek:

This poll doesn't bother me. It is a poll that ranks The Top of BCF. ALL of BCF, not just half of BCF. Like it or not, there are BCF D2 teams that are just as good as the top BCF teams in D1AA. That's a fact. Sheridan poll just acknowledges that.

C-LeB & TBJ,

I am not saying that Texas Southern should not be in the top ten (see my poll), I am simply saying that they should not be #6. As for GSU being #1, I think they do deserve that ranking. They are the defending SWAC Champions and scored 37 points on the road.

No disrespect to Prairie View, but you guys scoring only 17 points against them does not look that good for a team ranked #6 among black colleges.

Originally posted by Shelt a 'Skegee Grad
Like it or not, there are BCF D2 teams that are just as good as the top BCF teams in D1AA.

Shelt,

What evidence do you have to support this claim? How many I-AA teams did 'Skegee and Winston-Salem St. play last year? Or the year before? Or this year?

I don't know about Winston-Salem St., but for 'Skeegee, the answer is ONE.

We all know that 'Skegee played, and defeated Bama State by one point last year. But that is just ONE team out of 19 Div. I-AA black college teams and a whole lot of Div. I-AA PWC's.

If you want to be judged as the best, you must play the best. EVERY WEEK. Not just one week per year. And that is what the folks at Sheridan don't seem to understand.

I just feel that if skegee brought their asses to Grambling or Jackson or Tallahasee or any of the top 1-AA HBCUs they would get their asses stomped. They dont deserve to Get Ranked. Delta state wasnt ranked with the White 1-AA teams when they won the D2 title. It doesnt make sense for us to compare apples and oranges.

This poll is just as good as any poll after WEEK ONE.... Which doesn't say much.

After a few weeks, this poll and others will really mean something.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by J-State Tiger
I just feel that if skegee brought their asses to Grambling or Jackson or Tallahasee or any of the top 1-AA HBCUs they would get their asses stomped. They dont deserve to Get Ranked. Delta state wasnt ranked with the White 1-AA teams when they won the D2 title. It doesnt make sense for us to compare apples and oranges.

I agree with JST. That's the same opinion I have on this matter.

Deuce,

Tuskegee beat Bama State. Bama State beat JSU and SU. So Tuskegee must be able to beat JSU and SU. Right??? That's where they always go. But I know different. I understand that y'all been playing that game for a long time, so Tuskegee gets up for that one every year. But if y'all nip this in the bud, we won't be hearing this from them.

I used to wonder why JSU didn't have more BCF national championships. Then I realized that when JSU was dominating I-AA BCF, all the damn BCF titles were going to D2 Central State.

Bullchit!!!!:redhot:

Wasnt Central State NAIA?

They were HEADBUSTAS regardless of classification. I just dont think Skegee would be ranked with a SWAC schedule. They came talkin that crazy mess in 99 when they were undefeated and ranked #5 in division two and AAMU beat them 54-0.

Originally posted by Robber

Deuce,

Tuskegee beat Bama State. Bama State beat JSU and SU. So Tuskegee must be able to beat JSU and SU. Right??? That's where they always go. But I know different. I understand that y'all been playing that game for a long time, so Tuskegee gets up for that one every year. But if y'all nip this in the bud, we won't be hearing this from them.

Robber,

I agree.

Tuskegee only beat Bama State because we didn't have much of a defense. If we did, Skegee may not have scored.

I agree with all that has been said about the Sheridon poll,but just for correct info Winston Salem St. did beat Carson Newman, (D2 usual power) their 1st game. Maybe thats why they got some respect.

HORNETBLOOD,

Thanks for the correction, but the fact remains that they are Div. II, the team they beat was Div. II, and the team they lost to was Div. II.

Enough said.

Mixed emotions.

I don't think D1-AA and D-2 schools should be mixed in any polls. It's not fair for those schools who play exclusive Division I schedules. However, I can say from personal observation that Tuskegee is no slouch. They're solid in all phases of the game. (Sad but true) They're better coached than most SWAC schools, and have comparable size and speed as well. I certainly wouldn't say that Tuskegee would step right in and challenge upper-tiered schools in the SWAC/MEAC, but they'd certainly make hay against mid to lower-tiered schools. I'd go so far as to say they'd be above .500 (6-5, 7-4 range) in the either conference, which is apparently what some schools deem as successful anyway. :(

As far as the Sheridan goes, I've never placed much stock in it. It has always been a largely east-coast biased poll with no regard for schedule strength or division status. I realized long ago that it's a poll really not worth getting distressed about.

Just my 2 cents.

If The current TU squad came in to any of the so called top D1AA school's stadiums, you'd be in for a helluva fight. I don't concede a victory just because of your divisional status. But let's see how soon that'll happen.

With the talent we have right now we'd be competitive with any HBCU.

JST,

It's real easy to say we'd get stomped if we played JSU, or Grambling or FAMU, when these teams don't have the guts to schedule us.

Back