Saint Augustine suspends football operations for 2024

Not a surprise there, with all of the uncertainty. But with the university not making payroll, how can they possibly sponsor any sport?

Not a surprise there, with all of the uncertainty. But with the university not making payroll, how can they possibly sponsor any sport?
It shows the reason why they are around 30 or so million in the red and to be honest anyone would be crazy to attend the school after the end of this semester because they will have no accreditation and will not have access to federal grant and loans. They should of never brought back football because it is clear they could not afford it. At this point they should be making a call to Shaw to see if they want to purchase or lease the football stadium in order bring in some funds to pay off any athletic debts including settling the lawsuit with the former coach, the debt owned on the turf field, and I believe they owe some money to a local laundry service. At this point I would selling off all the football equipment in order to raise as much cash as they can, as there is no way football is coming back for second time.

Base on what the new interim president is saying in the local media, St. Aug has no way to get out of the debt they are in and is hoping for a miracle. They are finally making it public how much debt they are in (in the hopes of attracting anyone to try to save them).

The most said part of this is that the local area around the school is built around St. Aug being there and I not sure how many businesses will be able to survive if the school would close.

Back