S.C. State looking to add to football staff

FYI - in case any of you guys know someone who may be interested

Newly promoted SCSU coach takes Clemson job
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

When it comes to losing assistant coaches, South Carolina State University head football coach Oliver “Buddy” Pough sees the glass as both half-empty and half-full.

As much as Pough would prefer to keep his staff intact, it also shows how highly-regarded other schools hold his coaching staff.

So with a grain of salt, Pough took in stride the news of newly-promoted offensive coordinator Billy Napier’s decision to return to Clemson University as the tight ends coach.

“With certain guys, there’s always a possibility that you’ll lose them, and Billy did a real nice job for the short time that he was with us both on the field and in recruiting,” said Pough from Indianapolis, Ind. where he’s attending meetings with the NCAA Rules Committee. “So, we just wish him the best. He’ll be a really good coach someplace. Very soon, I think he’ll probably rise up the ladder.

“You’re looking at a rising star.”

The former two-time All-Southern Conference quarterback at Furman University returns to the Tigers where he was offensive video graduate assistant coach in 2003 and on-field graduate assistant coach who worked with the defense in 2004. Napier also gained experience as an off-campus recruiter for the Clemson program before leaving to become the SCSU quarterbacks coach.

Under Napier’s guidance, sophomore Cleveland McCoy quickly developed into the single-season school record-holder for passing completions in a season and helped the passing game rank 17th nationally among Division I-AA teams.

During the off-season, Pough promoted Napier to offensive coordinator. As Napier worked to re-tool the Bulldog offense, however, he was being heavily coaxed by Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden — who’s also seen former graduate assistants Tom Evangelista and DeJuan Polk hired by Pough — to come back to Death Valley.

“I was very impressed with Billy Napier when he worked on our staff in 2003 and 2004,” said Bowden in a press conference. “He will be among the youngest full-time coaches in Division I next year, and I look at that as a strong asset. He was a big reason South Carolina State had a very successful season, especially on the offensive side of the ball. He will also be an asset to us in recruiting.”

Napier replaces Bowden’s brother-in-law Jack Hines, who resigned Feb. 1 after seven seasons on the staff. Under his tutelage, Clemson tight ends had the most number of catches (28) in 22 years.

“I feel fortunate to accept this position with an outstanding program and respected staff at such an early age,” Napier said. “I can’t thank coach Bowden enough for the opportunity. I have been around outstanding coaches from the high school level, through my playing career at Furman and on to Clemson and South Carolina State as a coach. I knew I wanted to coach at an early age so I tried to soak up everything I could as a player and as a coach along the way.”

Napier is the third SCSU assistant coach to leave the program since the conclusion of the 2005 season, joining former defensive coordinator Robby Wells and offensive line coach James Spady. Pough filled those vacancies by promoting defensive backs coach Tom Evangelista to defensive coordinator and turning over the offensive line duties to David Blackwell.

Pough would prefer to hire a new quarterbacks coach, as well as a new defensive backs coach and offensive assistant prior to the start of spring practice on March 19. However, he will not make a snap judgment in finding replacements and is content for now with resuming the play-calling responsibilities.

“We’ll take our time and hire the best guy for the position,” he said. “The first thing we’ll do is hire a new quarterbacks coach. (Napier) did a nice job with Cleve and we want to continue that. After that, we’ll talk about the overall offensive concept.

“The one thing we know is that I have done it before and I can do it again until we get a guy that I feel comfortable in doing it. But I won’t rush out to try to push a guy into that responsibility until I’m very sure of exactly what I’m doing. ”

Back