Ron Cooper is headed to MS State

Blue Bengal

Ron Cooper has been hired by Jackie Sherril to be the Bulldogs defensive cooridinator. I know one thing for sure, Eli will get blitz and blitz in the Egg Bowl.

looks like every player out of Huntsville will be at Mississippi State now. Cooper was an EXCELLENT recruiter who had Huntsville locked down. When he was at Louisville, everybody from Hville was at Lousiville...same thing with AAMU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man this Cooper guy could not make it at AnnaMae. I guess he has learned a lot since he left. I think Sherrill could do better.

Originally posted by CurtDog 1971
Man this Cooper guy could not make it at AnnaMae. I guess he has learned a lot since he left. I think Sherrill could do better.

Cooper is probably one of those guys that is an excellent assistant, but never will be a good head coach. Not everyone is cut out to be the head man. You see that in everyday life. So folks are great workers, but terrible supervisors or bosses.

Cooper seems to be respected by the 1A folks for some reason. So he must be worth something. He just was not a good Head Coach. Kinda like Buddy Ryan was in the NFL. Good DC but terrible head coach. Remember Cooper had great talent on the Defensive side of the ball at AAMU. Mathis, Ware and company were all Cooper recruits. Jones has basically coached Cooper's players to the SCG. No fault of his own. But that does say something for Cooper's eye for talent. Just had no offensive type of mind. Plus he seemed to me to rub folks the wrong way at times. So Cooper will probably be successful at MSU. But hey who cares. AAMU got a better HEAD coach now so more power to Cooper the pimp.

Originally posted by JR

Cooper is probably one of those guys that is an excellent assistant, but never will be a good head coach. Not everyone is cut out to be the head man. You see that in everyday life. So folks are great workers, but terrible supervisors or bosses.

Cooper seems to be respected by the 1A folks for some reason. So he must be worth something. He just was not a good Head Coach. Kinda like Buddy Ryan was in the NFL. Good DC but terrible head coach. Remember Cooper had great talent on the Defensive side of the ball at AAMU. Mathis, Ware and company were all Cooper recruits. Jones has basically coached Cooper's players to the SCG. No fault of his own. But that does say something for Cooper's eye for talent. Just had no offensive type of mind. Plus he seemed to me to rub folks the wrong way at times. So Cooper will probably be successful at MSU. But hey who cares. AAMU got a better HEAD coach now so more power to Cooper the pimp.

EXACTLY..... Cooper is an EXCELLENT recruiter.... he just doesnt have the mind state to be a Head Coach... I think he is a power/control freak who has to have things HIS way and isnt willing to listen to people around him.... He tried to be the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and special teams coach all in one.

Originally posted by DAHILL

EXACTLY..... Cooper is an EXCELLENT recruiter.... he just doesnt have the mind state to be a Head Coach... I think he is a power/control freak who has to have things HIS way and isnt willing to listen to people around him.... He tried to be the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and special teams coach all in one.

All that being said, it will be interesting to see how he and Jackie Sherrill get along over there in Starkville. I'm surprised that he left Madison (WI) so soon. Those midwestern winters can be brutal!

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
I'm surprised that he left Madison (WI) so soon. Those midwestern winters can be brutal!

Maybe it wasnt the midwestern winters that made him leave so soon. :idea:

Originally posted by AAMU Alum

All that being said, it will be interesting to see how he and Jackie Sherrill get along over there in Starkville. I'm surprised that he left Madison (WI) so soon. Those midwestern winters can be brutal!

You are right those winters are no joke. I survived 2 SW- Michigan winters. Then the South called me back. If only I could keep them dang cold weather state people from calling me to move.:D

Anyway I think Cooper will work with Sherrill fine. Jackie knows how to delegate and Cooper knows how to behave as an assistant. It's just when he is the head coach he acts an arse. Alvarez at Wisconsin is intense and he seemed to get along with Cooper.

I am not shocked Cooper left Madison. Cooper was the Secondary Coach at Wisconsin. Sherrill is offering him the DC job. So you would leave Madison too. A DC job in the SEC back in the South. I am sure Cooper made that decision quickly. That was a no brainer. More money and a promotion. Also a chance to come back over to Huntsville and recruit. I am sure it will be easier to recruit a kid from Bama over to MSU than to get one to go to Wisconsin.

Originally posted by JR

Anyway I think Cooper will work with Sherrill fine. Jackie knows how to delegate and Cooper knows how to behave as an assistant. It's just when he is the head coach he acts an arse. .

:lol: Good points indeed! He did mention when he left that he had intentions of recruiting in this area for the Badgers. As you said, it will be alot easier to get a kid over to Starkville (just a few hours away) than to the cold, cold Great Lakes area.

Back