Revisiting Troy State's Move to Div I

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
A few years ago when I was upbeat and in favor of Troy's (and HBCU's) move to D-1A, some in here tore me a new one blasting the whole concept of moving up, saying generally that, "yeah, Troy may have a good record, but they have no fan support and they never will and the only reason they have the numbers they do is because of their games against HBCUs." blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I rolled my eyes then and I will roll them now. :rolleyes:

Well, back then I said that what Troy had was a well thought out plan to make their move and the financial backing to do so. I also said that their schedule upgrade at D-IA would help improve their attendance numbers bringing in teams like Marshal, South Florida, etc to Troy. I also commented on the massive upgrades to their stadium going from 12K to 17K and now to 30K.

I said, in addition, that the move was bigger than just a move on the part of the university. I said this was a coordinated effort between the university and the city of Troy and the southeast Alabama region that would eventually benefit not only the university but the city of Troy in the area of tourism, name recognition, national TV exposure, industrial recruitment/economic and commercial development.

In twenty years Troy will be a larger college town; it's about 13K now, I suspect it will be about 21-22K and growing then. in 50 years it will be a metro area just like Auburn is now. Auburn-Opelika recently became a metro area as of 2000 census and the place has changed tremendously since I was in Tuskegee in the 80s,, mainly because of the influence of a major college. I see the same happening in Troy over the next 50-60 years, not being on a major interstate notwithstanding. The Troy state move is part of a grander, long range vision is my belief.

Initial results out of Troy are looking good in their move to division 1A thus far.
  • The stadium expansion is complete and the facilities are fabulous.
  • Home games, although only two in the first year of the expansion, have seen 19K and 29K attendance so far. I look for this trend to continue.
  • Troy officials landed a MAJOR stadium deal with Movie Gallery naming rights. Great stuff there.
  • Another domino fell with the Blue-Gray Classic bolting Montgomery and raggidy Crampton Bowl for Troy.
  • They have a good coaching staff and, although they have experience severe beatdowns, they play hard and have also registered monumental wins every season since making the move.
  • And the fourth most crucial piece of the puzzle behind winning, financial support and fan support; Troy State has a conference (although I think they should be in C-USA) and will have more home games and be able to resume their winning ways in the comming years perhaps even going to a bowl game, recruit better, get even more exposure and round out a successful move to D-1A despight all the naysayers in general and the TSPN naysayers specifically.

Nice job Troy State. Great example for HBCUs to follow and thank GOD FAMU is taking the lead.

But does FAMU have the same type of action plan as Troy? Most HBCU's do not have the finances nor the city or alumni backing (basically infrastructure) in place to make this type of move. I understand what you mean by the progress of Auburn-Opelika, but take Baton Rouge for instance, would the city rally behind SU or LSU? What about Tallahassee? Is the city going to throw it's support behind FAMU and neglect FSU? Shoot Gram's a small little town how much could they do? I wish Troy well, same as I do FAM, but ahh I don't know if alot of HBCU's can do this...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Bengal E
But does FAMU have the same type of action plan as Troy? Most HBCU's do not have the finances nor the city or alumni backing (basically infrastructure) in place to make this type of move. I understand what you mean by the progress of Auburn-Opelika, but take Baton Rouge for instance, would the city rally behind SU or LSU? What about Tallahassee? Is the city going to throw it's support behind FAMU and neglect FSU? Shoot Gram's a small little town how much could they do? I wish Troy well, same as I do FAM, but ahh I don't know if alot of HBCU's can do this...

Points taken. Maybe that's it then. Maybe it's a difference between white and black fans and how we support our teams.

No, Tallahassee doesn't really have an interest in the success/failure of FAMU moving to Div IA like tiny Troy does in Troy making the move. After all, TSU at 5K something students, is almost half the population of the city of Troy at about 13K. Ditto for Banton Rouge and Southern, so we do have our work cut out for us. Plus too,,, i doubt if HBCU officials are as in tune politically/economically with the city governments/officials as a Troy State is.

So yes, it's tougher on FAMU, but we will never know until we (HBCUs) go for it.

Meanwhile more on Troy State's move:
Troy State Hopes to Become the "FSU" of Alabama.

Great goal to set TSU!

Originally posted by Bartram
........Well, back then I said that what Troy had was a well thought out plan to make their move and the financial backing to do so.

This is the key for any school to make the jump to D-1A. And as far as FAMU goes, if they have not done this, then, this is going to get ugly real quick. But their posters say they have done this, so.......

And I still say that before you officially make the move, make sure you already have your D-1A infrastructure in place.

Originally posted by Bartram
..........Maybe it's a difference between white and black fans and how we support our teams.

Bartram, what do you mean "maybe it's a difference......"? Hell, there is a big difference between white and black fans and how we support our teams.

Back