Reggie Jackson blasts Barry Bonds & others regarding Steroids

Deuce

The Hall of Famer challenged baseball's home run totals, and claimed that some are the result of players taking steroids.

"You can't be breaking records hitting 200 home runs in three or four seasons. The greatest hitters in the history of the game didn't do that," said Jackson, who hit 563 home runs.

San Francisco's Barry Bonds is just two home runs shy of tying his godfather, Willie Mays, for third place on the career home run list with 660. Babe Ruth is second with 714 and Hank Aaron first with 755.

"Henry Aaron never hit 50 in a season, so you're going to tell me that you're a greater hitter than Henry Aaron?" Jackson said. "Bonds hit 73 [in 2001], and he would have hit 100 if they would have pitched to him. I mean, come on, now. There is no way you can outperform Aaron and Ruth and Mays at that level.

"There is a reason why the greatest players of all time have 500. Then there is that group that is above 550. There is a reason for that. Guys played 19, 20, 25 years. They had 9,000 to 10,000 at-bats, and it was the same for everybody.

"Now, all of a sudden, you're hitting 50 when you're 40."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1757710&partnersite=espn

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by cat daddy
Reggie shole ain't happy.

You're right, and the Yankees aren't too happy with Reggie either, as the article points out. They've told Reggie to STFU. (thanks SU's Finest '93) :emlaugh:

"The last I heard, [the illegal distribution of steroids and other drugs] was against the laws of the land," Jackson said. "The players' association talks about 'my rights.' My rights? Do you have the right not to pay taxes? You do something wrong, you pay the penalty."

Hmmmmmm...............Makes you wonder.

Man, why dont Bonds, Shepheild and the others just take a damn test and shut these people up........................unless they have something to hide.

I wish world of "instant news" was around when some of these old cats were playing. I wonder how many of them could claim to be so pure if they had TV following every move they made, 24 hours a day, looking for any mistep like today's athelete has.

Back then, they got away with any and everything. Reporters overlooked it because they were stars. Now, reporters look at everything to get the scandal of the day.

Originally posted by BandFan
Man, why dont Bonds, Shepheild and the others just take a damn test and shut these people up..
The Players Union. Look at how pissed the NBA Players Association is with Damon Stoudamire for taking that piss test...even though he passed it.

Taking a test NOW wouldn't shut these people up.

Critics would just say that the drugs are no longer in his system. The would STILL say he was using them when he was hitting 50 plus home runs for several years.

Mark McGwire admitted to using andro (although it was not against league rules), but it was a "performance enhancing drug".

Why aren't they crying about his records?

The issue here is not JUST that steroids were against the rules, but also that they "enhance performance". Given that, I think that McGwire should be subject to just as much criticism as Bonds.

I agree with you Deuce. The problem I have with this whole issue now is, why is no one bringing up McGwuire's name when discussing steroids and performance enhancing drugs?

(btw, I already know the answer)

Back