Question for NCCU

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Has there been any accountability for this? Why would any school get themselves into this type of arrangement? Trust, I've seen some foolish mess at my TSU over the years, and I'm telling you all this contract doesn't pass the smell test in my opinion.

North Carolina Central began its partnership with Peak Sports in 2020. Peak Sports was tasked with managing and selling all sponsorship inventory, from signage to digital content. However, the deal has turned into a financial mess. The contract guarantees Peak Sports a 40% cut of all corporate sponsorships, regardless of whether they are sold by Peak Sports or by NCCU itself. With seven years left on the contract, this arrangement continues to siphon funds from the department.

They have more problems. The are running at a deficit. They had troubles paying Duke Med.

no telling what they told them in the sales presentations / a lot of those companies have pre built deals with certain companies as a token for signing with them as it makes it look like it's going to be a good situation down the road

In reality alot of those contacts are already locked up by learfield - you want raising canes? Popeyes? You ain't getting the real cash unless with learfield

These smaller sales companies come on thinking they can get what's left over in the marketplace but for hbcus it's hard

Ok. Wait a minute. Are you telling me that these colleges/universities with all these degrees on these campuses and they don't have anybody that can look at a contract (before it is signed) and tell them that they are about to get screwed??
asleep at the wheel on the "dumbass" highway....folks don't be thinking

From my understanding the previous AD is gone that signed this agreement, but the question is the other people that was part of the approval process still with NCCU. To me NCCU needs to use the resources in their law school to see if anyone can figure out a way to get out of this contract. FAMU was able to get out of their contract with Peak, more so because the Peak willing dropped FAMU for late payments.

At this point one would think NCCU would go ahead and announce that they will not be renewing with Peak to send a message, but then again I don't know if Peak could take action against them for doing so.

They have more problems. The are running at a deficit. They had troubles paying Duke Med.
the Duke med situation has been settle for 500,000, but Duke Med cut them a break on the settlement because NCCU owed Duke Med alot more. Duke Med more than likely is using the rest that NCCU owed them as a right off.

Update: with more information coming out, it is now hard for me to believe all of what the AD said is true.

Last edited:
There is a bit of misinformation with the Peak deal as well as the medical billing. I’m hoping that it’ll be revealed. If not I predict some lawsuits in the future.
You called it, now I am looking at the people that gave the report to BOT with concern about their ability to lead NCCU athletics. Come to think of it, someone in a previous BOT meeting said athletics was good except for track and field not being fully funded. I think I might just need to stick to giving to the department that I have taking courses in.

Share the misinformation
Peak's attorney just released a statement and the former AD is speaking up too. It seems like the misinformation was coming for the current Athletic Director. The current statement of the current AD makes no sense at this point. I would be interested in seeing if Duke Medical is going to say anything publically.

There is a bit of misinformation with the Peak deal as well as the medical billing. I’m hoping that it’ll be revealed. If not I predict some lawsuits in the future.

So, is NCCU trying to get out of the contract for the main reasons stated or not? The quote from your current A.D. seems to indicate so.

"We have met with legal counsel multiple times to try to find a way to get out of this contract. The guy is not going to let us out,” said Skip Perkins, the relatively new athletic director.

Last edited:
So, is NCCU trying to get out of the contract for the main reasons stated or not? The quote from your current A.D. seems to indicate so.

"We have met with legal counsel multiple times to try to find a way to get out of this contract. The guy is not going to let us out,” said Skip Perkins, the relatively new athletic director.
According to peak's letter, NCCU has not tried to get out of the contract. It sure does look like Peak is about to sue Dr. Perkins ,AD of NCCU, and not NCCU.

Share the misinformation
I'll give you a couple.
1. NCCU can get out of the Peak deal if they wanted too.
2. 60 - 40 split has a couple guarantees that benefit both parties and it only applies to corporate sponsorships not donations, tickets, sales etc.
3. The medical billing situation isn't a half million dollars it's considerably less than that.
4. Peak provides the staff to handle corporate sponsorships. It doesn't come from NCCU's budget.

Back