Question about the Labor Day Classic

Sunday is ok but I'm totally against moving the game out of Reliant. For the last couple of years, Houston was hit with thunderstorms during the LDC. That would be disastrous for attendance if the game is moved outside again...especially with the date of the game at the height of hurricane season.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:
got to spend money if you involve TVs...they ran some ads a few years back..very low budget and appeared at odd times of the night but they set a foundation that hasn't been built on since

the secret to this game is getting the fan who would do nothing during football season out on a Saturday night to Reliant...how do they that is up to the big money folks they are paying at TSU (it's their home game).

I think the game should be on Sunday (no competition)...last time it was on Sunday it hit 35K at Rice...

I'm not in favor of Reliant...way too big for the game and it costs an arm and a leg to get in...plus for band fans...it's not friendly and the staff gets on PMS after the game

Why dont both schools contribute to advertising together instead of having the home team advertise alone during its home field year? Or have they tried that approach and were not successful at it.

Hopefully at some point in near future, the game will be elevated to a true Classic. Board of Directors, etc. This would make everything work so much easier. I am sure some of the people involved with The Bayou Classic would be glad to lend them their expertise.

In 1994 it rained before the game and it was at Robertson....standing room only and if you remember, PV lost on the 1-yard line with no time left on the clock. It was humid, rainy, etc. but 30,000 showed up at Robertson, which is the ideal venue for the game. By it being the first game, folks seem to deal with the elements for some reason,

Storm96 said:
Sunday is ok but I'm totally against moving the game out of Reliant. For the last couple of years, Houston was hit with thunderstorms during the LDC. That would be disastrous for attendance if the game is moved outside again...especially with the date of the game at the height of hurricane season.

but have noticed...the Sunday after has always been sunny.....don't ask me why...the Labor Day Classic will never fill up Reliant and it won't get any cheaper for the average fan who'll make the game something...

It's $8 to park now...imagine that in 5 years
Concessions are damn near the price of an upscalke restaurants so not much money is being made.

I happened to come across a 1995 Labor Day Classic tape last night (Sunday) and the whole bottom level of Rice was filled.

as for advertising...don't know who or what stipulations are involved when it comes to that. But you got to spend big money for it so maybe that's why it hasn't been pushed.

Attendance will probably be up this year from last year. Now that there's an "it's anybody's game" mentality. I think a lot of fans stayed home when they could basically predict the outcome. Kinda like the Bayou Classic the last few years. Now that *rambling has won 2 out of the last four BC, more of their fans are starting to show up. It still looks like a Southern home game, but *rambling's fairweather fans think they have a little hope this year, so more of them will probably show up.

don't know if attendance will make a big jump for two reasons...

1) we were 2-0 last season and played SU and were predicting record crowds, etc., etc. I was so damn dissappointed with the outcome of the attendance I don't know what to say to this day. The PV side was damn near empty for some odd reason. So after hitting the street and finding out why....RELIANT STADIUM....after spending $20 just to see Labor Day Classic those same folks didn't want to spend the extra money two weeks lates...remember..Reliant Tickets are reserved and the BEST SEAT is damn near $30 and the $10 tickets are bad seats....add $8 parking to that and the average fan is putting $20 to Reliant before kickoff even starts...

and we still pay rent :rolleyes:

2) We have 29 days until kickoff....found out recently we have to compete with 2 high school games featuring 2 historically black schools that same night. The man who sets the schedule won't budge for now but no one from either school in an administrative role has approached him either.

3) (I know I said two reasons)...you rather see a full house or a half empty house? 30K at Robertson jammed on top of each other is nice environment rather than 30K at Reliant who are so spread apart

the band fan said:
30K at Robertson jammed on top of each other is nice environment rather than 30K at Reliant who are so spread apart

I definitely agree with you on this. Reliant is not the place for this game just yet.

the band fan said:
unfortunately...I think we're stuck there until someone decides to bolt..

Does the home team pay the rental fees or is it split between the two? I'm almost afraid to ask how much are the fees for using the facility.

not sure about the rental fees but you damn sure don't want to know what it costs to rent....

I know and I start hurting typing all those zeroes...

unfortunately, until a better alternative comes along other than Robertson that game ain't going anywhere...don't know why they look away from Rice but people have the notion now that black folks like covered facilities...

look at the Big Easy Classic and New Orleans...the dome hasn't helped the game

LaCumba said:
Does the home team pay the rental fees or is it split between the two? I'm almost afraid to ask how much are the fees for using the facility.

Between $70,000 to $85,000. Dependant upon if you want full service ammenities (jumbotron, upper levels, all suites, etc...).

make that A suite or two they might throw in for the "elite".....

almost $100K to rent that stadium....out of the 30K who came last year I'll say 20K actually paid full price (students get discounts and comp tickers are free) and I'll estimate $20 per ticket

the game makes around $400K (rough estimate)....(parking not included and concessions)

The Yates administration requested a change for there game. In fact the time was change, however someone decided that 2:30 p.m. would be to hot.

San Antonio for the Labor Day Classic. Reliant does not want us, if they did we would not be paying the huge rental fees.

I think it would become an event. San Antonio is a great tourist town. They will role out the red carpet for you.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
East Tex Tiger said:
The Yates administration requested a change for there game. In fact the time was change, however someone decided that 2:30 p.m. would be to hot.

San Antonio for the Labor Day Classic. Reliant does not want us, if they did we would not be paying the huge rental fees.

I think it would become an event. San Antonio is a great tourist town. They will role out the red carpet for you.

Interesting! Very interesting indeed ETT.

is moving back to Friday an option?...Yates and Booker . are the only draws left in HISD football so yanking someone off Friday and moving to Saturday should be an option.

when your are ace in the hole you got to use your power....unfortunately, East Tex means "someone" and the "only one" is making all the questionable decisions.

Back