Question About Mourning, Respect And Moving Forward With Life

Robber

Consigliere
When it comes to sporting events, there seem to be a fairly even split amongst those who say games should be cancelled this week versus those who say play on this weekend, particularly in football. I'm wondering how many of us went to work today. I know I did. I'm wondering how many of our employers announced that they were closing the business for the remainder of the week out of respect for the loss of the many lives yesterday. I'm wondering how many of us called in and said, "out of respect of those who lost their lives I ain't coming to work for the rest of the week."

Why is that we can go on with our everyday lives without thinking twice about it, yet when we think about the idea of playing a game, it shows a lack of respect for the deceased??? The NFL is a business. Why should they shut their business down this weekend when IBM, Microsoft, Nike and other big business didn't do the same??? Like it or not, college football IS a business. They make money playing these games. I pose the same question.

I understand that some will say that sports are a game. Working 9-5 is life. I can't speak for nobody else, but sports is a big part of my life. And I would suffer if I didn't have it to see this weekend.

Anybody care to share your thoughts on this???

Good points, robber!
icon14.gif

I was watching ESPN last night, and one of the guys was on there saying that MLB and college would be doing the best thing by cancelling games, and not "make the same mistake that the NFL made" back when they continued to play when Kennedy was killed (I think that was it).

many people are looking at it from the standpoint that sports are "recreation and entertainment". Yeah...for THEM, but what about the individuals who PLAY these sports??? That IS their livelihood, and who are we to tell them that it is wrong for them to continue to go out and make their living???

I can wholeheartedly understand cancelling games on Tuesday and Wednesday (maybe even Thurs. too), but after that????? What't the point???

Someone could easily not give and dayum about the individuals who perished yesterday, but raise all kinds of hell that sports play should be halted....just the same someone could feel that the games should continue, even they themselves knew individuals who died and the pain hit close to home.

This is just one man's opinion....

For those that has been directed affected by this some time off my be the best thing to do. The rest of us and the country need to get back to business. That why it was important for the prez to return to the white house and speak to the nation. To restore confident in the american people and to return to some sort of normalcy. It sends an important message to those responsible for this tragedy. Their intent were to disrupt this country at all cost. We need to send a message that they fell. Wounded yes but not defeated.

I'm just missing the whole point

I thought sporting events were being cancelled or postponed for safety reasons.

**shrugs shoulders**

:eek:

DTown, you met Rudy yet?

*snicker*

That is a tough one.

This is America.

We ain't gonna punk down because some musty assed towel wearers came over here starting ish. They'll get theirs in due course.

Out of respect for the deceased, I'll understand if games are postponed. However, in the spirit of this country, I think they should be played.

Re: DTown, you met Rudy yet?

Originally posted by Vinita
*snicker*

That is a tough one.

This is America.

We ain't gonna punk down because some musty assed towel wearers came over here starting ish. They'll get theirs in due course.

LMAO @ Nita

The Baseball games arent being cancelled just out of respect. Teams simply cant get to the game locations right now. Its a long bus ride if the Marlins are playing the Padres. Security also has to be a consideraton. I dont think anyone would attack an HBCU game, but Sunday I didnt think anyone would fly a 757 into a skyscraper. NFL games provide a bigger security target It probably wouldnt take much to blow up a stadium with 70 or 80000 fans

Yeah, I got the impression from the news that the cancellation of various sporting events was more of a security issue than of mourning.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Seems like security would override recreation or entertainment. I don't know.

Is it recreation for us or for the players??? Especially in the NFL. Who are we to tell a team owner not to play and forsake the millions he rakes in from the game, while we are at our jobs making millions for our employers???

How long is long enough??? Do we terminate all sports for the rest of the season??? When they do finally resume, will any dead person be brought back to life??? Do we not go to the movies or rent movies or do anything recreational or entertaining out of respect for the dead???

One other thing, regardless of when play resumes, we will always be faced with the possibility that somebody might do this again. Waiting around won't change that fact.

There have been good points made on both sides.

One is from the players in the NFL. A lot of them do not want to play. Many of the New York Jets are not too crazy about flying from New York to Oakland. If that is the case, I do not think that they should play. How can they focus and concentrate on their games? Also, I think that Gene Upshaw, the NFLPA director, does not think that they should play this weekend.

Of course there is the reaction that we should show that we should not be intimidated. In other words we should go to the games this weekend (baseball and football). It would a similar response to the reaction after the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta in '96.

But there is the issue of security. Has the other shoe dropped? If there is another attack? Call me crazy. But according to reports, some of the hijackers allegedly were trained as pilots on American soil, namely Florida.

In my opinion I am leaning toward them not playing this weekend. It has a lot to do with security (Let's face it; people in the stadiums are sitting ducks.) and players not wanting to play.

LMAO@Nita...Musty...

As it has been stated earlier. Americans view the sports as recreation/pass time, because they are the ones that are off of work. They are the ones that can sit back and relax. However, to the players, it's work. I don't think they wanted to postpone the games for respect, but for safety reasons. I'm not sure how HBCUs travel when they go long distances, but some more advance financially schools fly to their destinations; as well as the professionals. I believe they are trying to be secure as possible.

Since Memphis is a hop away, I don't think that one will be postpone. :rolleyes:

I say let them play.........

Well, right now I don't feel I can add anything that hasn't already been said, so I say

LET THEM PLAY !!!

Akin to the Bad News Bears when the played the Toros in the Astrodome I think...

I don't disagree that this is their chosen profession. The point is safety for fans and for the players is essential. Would these players/fans prefer to be bombed while all 90,000 of them are sitting in a stadium? Or would they prefer to be at home lessoning the chance that GREAT a number being killed? I don't know the answer, but I know I would not be at one of those games at least until <b>I</b> am comfortable. How much comfort can we obtain considering the laxed American security allowed <b>recognized</b> names to take training to fly aircraft AND allowed to purchase airline ticket, etc. ? Just something to think about.

My job didn't want to release us at first on Tuesday. My response was this: this is not the movies, and I will not be the first black to be killed off. I LEFT my job...pay or no pay! I later found out that we were all placed on Adminstrative Leave. It doesn't take 4 plane crashes to tell me that Government Facilities are hight targets. I got out of dodge.

Can we escape death? No. If it is coming, it is coming. However, I will not sit idly by and wait for it to show up. Just my $19.08.

Originally posted by Robber

Is it recreation for us or for the players??? Especially in the NFL. Who are we to tell a team owner not to play and forsake the millions he rakes in from the game, while we are at our jobs making millions for our employers???

How long is long enough??? Do we terminate all sports for the rest of the season??? When they do finally resume, will any dead person be brought back to life??? Do we not go to the movies or rent movies or do anything recreational or entertaining out of respect for the dead???

One other thing, regardless of when play resumes, we will always be faced with the possibility that somebody might do this again. Waiting around won't change that fact.

The MAJORITY of the cancellations are due to respect...NOT safety! If two teams from the west (located in the SAME area) are cancelling a game, safety really has nothing to do with it!

When Kennedy was shot, they were angry because the NFL didn't cancel games. An AMERICAN shot him....were the rest of "us" in danger???...nope.
The wanted the games cancelled out of RESPECT.

As far as safety is concerned, that may be more of the case in sporting events played on the EAst Coast. The interesting point is that safety isn't the biggest caveat to games being played...it's the emotional status of those people who are in that area (fans, players, students, stadium workers, etc). It hit "closer to home" with them than anybody.

The people who committed the acts knew what they were doing. Their goal was to cripple the status of our nation, in regard to finance, security, and leadership. That's why they had selected TARGETS that would aid in accomplishing this. If they wanted to "bomb 90,000 people, it wouldn't take nearly as much planning and effort. Plus, all it would do is be a mass murder...it wouldn't "hurt" the country's operation. I can understand people not wanting to fly right now, but honestly...THAT'S the biggest "safety" issue that exists right now.

But like it was said before....they didn't close all the businesses up there due to the tragedy...they're trying to go on with life as they usually do. Who's to really say that someone is showing "disrespect" by an athlete going out to do their job???? The double standard is truly in effect here.

Considering the articles that I have read, the reasoning was both respect and safety concerns. In either case, this is a sad situation to live in...

How many of us know someone who was DIRECTLY effected by this situation? I mean...someone who lost a loved one or had a loved one jump from the window to save his own life???? How many? How many do you know who was SUPPOSED to be in that building at 7 AM that morning but for some reason, their flight was rescheduled...

Back