PV Looks to the Future Post-Sandra Bland

Storm96

Prairie View A&M looking to the future after Sandra Bland’s death

PRAIRIE VIEW — Prairie View A&M University has big plans for Sandra Bland Parkway, recently named in honor of the 28-year-old woman who died in the Waller County Jail.

The historically black university will spend millions of dollars to build retail shops, student housing, entertainment centers and more along the road that winds into campus.

The investment in infrastructure is a sign that Prairie View A&M is bucking a trend faced by most historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs.

Where some have struggled to pay the bills and seen enrollment plummet, Prairie View has spent millions on new buildings since 2001 and kept the student population stable.

“In most instances, you would not call flat enrollment a victory, but in the HBCU environment, where people’s enrollments are taking enormous hits, we’re appreciative of it,” Prairie View A&M President George Wright said.

When the national media descended upon Prairie View this past summer to cover the fallout from the Bland case, some outside the university raised the concern that the campus would suffer, particularly in enrollment. The campus has long had a difficult relationship with surrounding Waller County, and some feared a backlash over tense police relations could linger, even though Bland wasn’t arrested on campus.

Wright fought that perception, calling it a bias against HBCUs. He worked to keep up students’ confidence, make improvements and protect the university’s reputation. The school has had some advantages to work with, too. Unlike most HBCUs, Prairie View A&M is under the umbrella of a large statewide system and has access to the Permanent University Fund, the state’s public endowment worth billions of dollars that has provided a reliable stream of revenue.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...g-to-the-future-after-sandra-blands-death.ece

People knock it sometimes but PV benefits from being in such a system in the end when other schools end up facing financial difficulties. To me it also underscored the importance of putting your best foot forward in all public endeavours (athletics, band etc.) as I bet many probably got the impression over the years that the school was poor.

People knock it sometimes but PV benefits from being in such a system in the end when other schools end up facing financial difficulties. To me it also underscored the importance of putting your best foot forward in all public endeavours (athletics, band etc.) as I bet many probably got the impression over the years that the school was poor.

Mostly ignorant folks play that A&M system card against PV. Grambling, UAPB, etc are a part of university systems as well and folks never hold that against them. Part of it is because the A&M System is wealthy. At the very least, it offers another set of checks and balances IMO.

why, just why do I read comments in these stories? I see the same racist nutcases in the comments ugh

Mostly ignorant folks play that A&M system card against PV. Grambling, UAPB, etc are a part of university systems as well and folks never hold that against them. Part of it is because the A&M System is wealthy. At the very least, it offers another set of checks and balances IMO.

I get angry at times about the system that GSU is in because it causes so much administrative turnover and often times we end up with presidents that really have only "heard" of GSU but never have a long standing investment.

The thing about this story is it has nothing to do with Ms Bland. These plans for FM 1098 (University Drive) were in the works long before her name became a national figure. Sounds like the typical news hounds trying to make a headline just for viewership.

The thing about this story is it has nothing to do with Ms Bland. These plans for FM 1098 (University Drive) were in the works long before her name became a national figure. Sounds like the typical news hounds trying to make a headline just for viewership.

Or maybe it was a story orchestrated by the University to move beyond the Sandra Bland controversy which would be a smart PR move. I don't know...but comments Dr. Wright made previously suggested that there was a negative light casted on the University for something that did not happen on campus. It sounds to me like the University is changing the narrative. Do we seriously think the Dallas Morning News would run a positive story out of the blue about PV? The timing also coincides with other positive PV articles ran in both the Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about PV's partnership with Mansfield ISD. Maybe PV is finally playing the PR game.

Spring ISD Announces Partnership with Prairie View A&M University

The Spring Independent School District and Prairie View A&M University have launched a program that will provide automatic admission to the top 25 percent of students by the end of their junior year.

The announcement was made Monday at the Westfield High School campus, where Spring ISD Superintendent Rodney Watson and Prairie View A&M President George Wright signed the agreement with juniors and seniors from each of the five district high schools on hand.

"Many students think that college is not within their reach either due to finances or because they think they won't be accepted by a college or university," Watson said. "This partnership makes it possible for our students - if they apply themselves and do what is necessary - to not only go to college, but get accepted early and receive scholarships as well."

The scope of the three-year agreement, which was initially approved during a board workshop on March 3, offers unconditional admission to students at the end of their junior year who are ranked in the top 25 percent of their class, who have at least a 3.0 grade point average and met the scoring criteria for either the ACT or SAT.

Prairie View A&M agrees to provide 15 Opportunity Target High School scholarships totaling $75,000 to Spring ISD for each of the next three years, with each high school receiving an allocation of three scholarships.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/s...arantees-college-admission-to-top-7217819.php

This elates me.

Good job [finally], PVAMU official braintrust. Slowly but surely, we are going to RETURN to our former ways and own Texas, again.

Back