Prejudism: Are you prejudiced?

Panther88

Banned
I've been thinking about this one for quite a while. I've concluded that whether all (inclusive of 'alleged' Christians/Buddists/Muslims/...) will admit or not, to a certain degree it exists in all of us. I think Sunday mornings prove that 100% due to it's inherent traditional segregation. Sunday, the most segregated day of the week where we all willingly prefer to be amongst our own while worshipping.

Personally, I know I'm prejudiced and I even stereotype. For instance, just this morning, my VERY first thought as I looked to my left when I pulled up to a red light this morning and saw a Mexican lady driving a car was: <b>"That beach probably just jumped the river last week and has never driven a vehicle in her life (based on how she RAN UP ON the FRIGGIN' curb to her left and dipping and dodging in and out of her lane of traffic before I stopped alongside of her looking @ 6 kids w/ NO seatbelts on in the rear seat)... She probably doesn't have a license and more than likely doesn't have any auto insurance. That's why our dayum rates are going sky high through the roof! SOBs like that! And, more than likely, she's probably using federal assistance... my TAX MONEY to support her 17 kids! She doesn't work, can't speak any dayum english let alone join the workforce here because she doesn't even have a SSN."</b> blah blah blah.. Then reality hits me. <b>"Who am I to judge lest I be judged?"</b> And then I started to reason w/ myself again. <b>"Would I think the same if it were someone black? white?... Yes I would... Therefore, I'm prejudiced towards 'bad' or 'lazy' people regardless of color when they outwardly do wrong and it's visible or even invisible to me. Wrong is wrong no matter the color... But, does color or tone of skin really matter?"</b>

My dilemma continues...

hmmm, it's funny that I was just having this same conversation with a co-worker

I realized that I'm not only prejudice, but I think I'm a racist too....I know that's pretty bad, but I've encountered so much in my life that I can hardly stand people other than my own. Shucks sometimes, I can't stand us either....guess I'm just anti-people.

I think most of us share the same thoughts on that. I may have gotten my racist mixed up w/ my prejudiced comments. I think, well, I know I'm racist as well. Don't want anything to do w/ ofays other than what's required by law. Also, I'm prejudiced in regard of what's currently happening on MF.com w/ those other people of color.

Sad, isn't it Panthro

Originally posted by Panthro
Also, I'm prejudiced in regard of what's currently happening on MF.com w/ those other people of color.

That's exactly why I made the comment I made about us....some of my people, I tell ya....*SMDH*
:rolleyes:

Don't put that ownership adjective "my" in there gul! You don't own them people. LOL Those are people that I refer to as "the others." LOL :D

I am "your" people. I belong to you! LOL I am yours. I am yourn... :D

Say it w/ me: <b>"Pi, errrrrr, Panthro is mine!"</b> I like that... :D

All racist views have been eliminated from my body, soul, and spirit. I have lived around and worked with people of many different ethnic groups and I have been able to talk to them about these issues. The key is communication.

If we don't talk then it will never be solved. I treat people, white, black, hispanic, Asian (of Chinese, Korean, Japanese descent), Asian (of Russian descent), European, Native American, and all other ethnic groups on an individual basis. Repspect me and I will respect you. Disrespect me and I have nothing to say to you.

Just because someone is white and from Alabama does not mean that they are prejudice. Simply because a person is from Germany does not mean that they hate Jews. Simply because someone is White and Conservative does not mean that they want "Jim Crow" laws to be in effect. Just because someone is black and wears rough clothing does not mean that they are killers and thieves. Most of us don't have close relationships with people of other races. Why? Because we prejudge.

My father's best friend died in his arms in Vietnam. Before being shot in the back he carried my dad 8 miles after my dad was shot in both legs. Later my dad was a POW for 9 months and developed close ties with more people of ethnic groups. This guy who carried my dad was white. His son is like my dad's son, his wife and daughter were in my sister's wedding.

In order to stop these prejudging issues we have to develop close ties with other races and develop a level of communication. Is it that we find a "comfort zone" within our own race that we depict every other race to be below us?

Hep me up off dis hea flo

Originally posted by Panthro
NN, we never would've guessed bruh... LOL

You are true to the game.

ROTMFingFLMAO @ P~:emlaugh: :bawling: :emlaugh:

my 13 cents...

I am prejudice against not a particular race, but the individuals that are prejudice against a whole race. I could see if a person had a bad experience with a person of another race, then they'd have the right to be upset with THAT ONE PERSON, but they SHOULDN'T have the right to prejudge/sterotype a whole race.

I know I have my moments when I start to stereotype other races, myself. It's usually done out of anger. Don't know if that makes me racist or not.

As for that other board over there ------------->, I just saw what's going on. Some of them mofos got a lot of nerves to be they are sometimes. But I am only a lowly JSU alum. I don't know any better I guess.

Yes, I am

Yes, I too am a racist and prejudice. I have been told this often by my white counter parts here at work. I do not deny it either when they mention it. I am trying to mend my racist ways but it is hard. I came to this very realization when one day my 13 year old little sister and I were watching TV and I think it was some Caucasian folks dancing to a Barry White song and she said something like...."why them white folks dancing to our music don't have music of their own to listen too?" I was shocked, :eek: I thought to myself.why did she say white folks and our music .... then it hit me we ,my family and I, are passing our prejudices on to her. :( This is when I sat her down and explained to her that music is universal and anybody should be allowed to listen to whatever they like. I try to tell her not to generalize and that there are good and bad people in all races. I am trying to work on that myself.:(

i'm really an not sure what i am. for instance, i grew up in Memphis, went to a 99% black elem, middle, high schools, and now a HBCU. though my uncle married a white woman and her daughter grew up with us(so you know how she acts), other than the fam, work, and public outings, that is all the exposure i have had with white people. which is not alot considering the fact that most of the white people stay on the outskirts of the city. i am 21, but i just feel extremely comfortable around my own people. i work in a white neighborhood in JAX and some of the oldest rude white people comes into the store and i be bout to lose my composure. and it also seems that i am quicker to lose my temper on a white person than a black, but don't mistake it i will get down with anyone who violates. does that make me prejudice?

I am cool with everyone who is cool with me!! But some times those thoughts of:

: "That beach probably just jumped the river last week and has never driven a vehicle in her life (based on how she RAN UP ON the FRIGGIN' curb to her left and dipping and dodging in and out of her lane of traffic before I stopped alongside of her looking @ 6 kids w/ NO seatbelts on in the rear seat)... She probably doesn't have a license and more than likely doesn't have any auto insurance. That's why our dayum rates are going sky high through the roof! SOBs like that! And, more than likely, she's probably using federal assistance... my TAX MONEY to support her 17 kids! She doesn't work, can't speak any dayum english let alone join the workforce here because she doesn't even have a SSN." blah blah blah.. Then reality hits me. "Who am I to judge lest I be judged?" And then I started to reason w/ myself again. "Would I think the same if it were someone black? white?... Yes I would... Therefore, I'm prejudiced towards 'bad' or 'lazy' people regardless of color when they outwardly do wrong and it's visible or even invisible to me. Wrong is wrong no matter the color... But, does color or tone of skin really matter?"

That is wrong but whites have that perception about us. The stereotype about a street here called Prsopect is that all of the people who hang out along there are pimps, prostitutes, drugdealers, gang bangers, etc. and that is totally not true. It is just the fact that the road runs through the heart of the hood and is one of the major North/South roads in KC.

cannot be a racist unless you are part of the majority race.
If you are a minority you cannot be a racist. What I have read so far is that we have wanna bees who like to think they can be racist.

To be classified as a racist, you must be part of the good old boys
where you are bone into the power race.

Yes I am predjudiced. I am able to get along with many persons of all ethnicities I think primarily because I believe in "live and let live". I don' t try to really enter their world and I appreciate them staying out of mine. AS long as what they are doing doesn't involve me and mine, I have no interest in getting involved. I do the job required and deal with whatever interaction goes along with it but deep down I don't trust them or feel that I could have a close relationship with them.

Yes, I am prejudiced. As a person who has been to PWCs and an HBCU, I prefer life at an HBCU. At an HBCU I was treated more as an equal. I prefer Black women to other women. (BTW I prefer a Latina women over a White if you want to know.) I have lived in Black and White neighborhoods and preferred staying in the Black neighborhoods that I have lived as a kid.

But I do not consider myself a bigot or a racist. I generally agree with MD's assessment on people of color in this county being able to be a racist. We do not have the power to enforce that racism (unless it is a White person being run out of a Black neighborhood). I do not hate a person because they are of a different religion or ethnic group. Nor do I believe that I am superior to others because I am Black. (White supremacy is the real issue.) I look at people as equals.

Some people think they know so damn much

Race: any one of the groups into which the world's population can be divided on the basis of physical characteristics such as skin or hair color

The suffix ist: somebody associated with a particular action or thing; somebody who follows a particular belief or school of thought

Racist: prejudiced against all people who belong to other races

I don't belong to some damn majority race. But I am BLACK. I am a member amongst my people. I don't care about other races...I only care about the BLACK race right now. Unlike OFAYS in the 60s, I'm not spraying water hoses on other races or burning crosses in their yards. I just don't give a f__k about them. Therefore I am a RACIST. I AM IN A RACE FOR MY PEOPLE!!!!

No pre-judging or racism here!

HISTORY has taught us (Black People) that it is not good for us to pre-judge Europeans and their descendants:
1. We welcomed them to our country and what happened?
2. The natives of this country welcomed them and what happened?
Everywhere they went they were welcomed because they were PRE- JUDGED!
AS A PEOPLE AND INDIVIDUALS WE CANNOT AFFORD TO PRE-JUDGE

As far as racism goes, history teaches us that their was no such thing until the coming of a certain group of people.

If I say that

BLACK PEOPLE ARE THE FATHERS AND MOTHERS OF CIVILIZATION AND THAT THE OTHER RACES SHOULD RESPECT THEIR MOTHERS AND FATHERS, does that make me a racist?

I just die laughing when all races live up to all their stereotypes right in your face. You can watch the news see a story breaking and say I bet it was a ... and when they give the profile of the person 9 times out of 10 you will be right.
Right when you want to believe that people are tryng to better them selves and live a little better there is always that one person that proves your predjudiceness correct.

DAMN SKIPPY

Now more than ever. If I'm ever boarding a plane and some long bearded musty sheik wearing non English speaking bomb toting plane crashing Ahmad named Arab is boarding with me, he's gonna get some hatred looks from me.

We are about to go to war. There are still hundreds of them over here. But because we're so damn accepting...we just let em all over here.

If being prejudice is wrong, then I don't want to be right. Tell that to the thousands of dead AMERICANS rotting in Manhattan right now!!!

Good topic

I think NN just told us how he really felt.........

I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't either racist or prejudiced. I have those crazy little thoughts like everyone else does, I just keep them to myself. But I'm trying to get rid of that type of thinking.

phat:
History has a way of showing/determining how we think. Just like NN said, when all of us are boarding a flight in the future and a cloth-draped Arabian get's on board, what R U going to first think? Ditto...

It's my thesis that it's inherent in all of us. Even we so called Christians. Just look at how most of us spend our Sunday mornings/Wed evenings amongst our own.

Back