Polite Stewart, 18-Year-Old Physics Major, Earns Bachelors Degree From Southern ....

EB

Polite Stewart, 18-Year-Old Physics Major, Earns Bachelors Degree From Southern University

Posted: 12/17/2012 9:50 am EST | Updated: 12/17/2012 9:50 am EST

By Jarrett L. Carter, HBCU Digest

Amidst a sea of smiles and tears, Southern University-Baton Rouge graduated more than 500 new alumni on Friday, sending them off into hopeful futures as professionals and soon-to-be graduate students.

Among them: Polite Stewart, a cum laude graduate out of the university’s Department of Physics, who would love nothing more than to have most people regard him for who he is -- a rising star in the physics research field.

But it doesn’t always work out that way for Stewart, the Baton Rouge resident who, at 18-years-old, today became one of the youngest graduates in the school’s 132-year history.

“Last summer, Stewart worked at North Carolina State University as a researcher, and has worked at Texas Christian University,â€￾ Bagayoko noted. “He's made more than four technical presentations over his college career. Polite has distinguished himself as a researcher in a marvelous fashion. He is highly ethical and very hard working. When he's among his peers, you feel humbled because even amidst attention about his accomplishments and his age, he remains focused on trying hard to make himself and those around him better.â€￾

Stewart adds that he hopes to spend the next few months completing research projects at North Carolina State University, and heading to graduate school. But for the next year, it’s all about decompressing and taking the success in stride.

“A lot of people don't get that it’s easy to look in on someone, but few people can understand the pressure of getting pulled in different directions. I enjoy that I was able to fit in, to get used to interviews, praise and expectations. Once I really figured out how to settle in it, I put the smile on, go out, and went to work.â€￾

Re: Polite Stewart, 18-Year-Old Physics Major, Earns Bachelors Degree From Southern .

We need to share these stories more often! Well done son!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Polite Stewart, 18-Year-Old Physics Major, Earns Bachelors Degree From Southern .

This brother is inspiring. I agree TSUGIRL07 we should definitely share these stories more often especially during a time when negative depictions of us are spread like wild fire. Much applause to SU for providing the enviornment and opportunity and his parents for nurturing and pushing as well as the young brother for his drive and thirst for knowledge. Just another example of being, "Full and Hungry at the same time."

:tup:

Good stuff!!!

Back