Perry QB picks Grambling

SAME OLD G

A product of Greatness
Staff member
Perry QB picks Grambling

By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Desmond Brentley never let go of his dreams to play Division I football, but the Perry quarterback had resigned himself to the notion that he would have to attend prep school to attract interest.
Then, Brentley did what he knows best -- taking a step back and letting it fly. If Division I programs weren't going to recruit him, he would recruit them.

"When I thought about it, I figured my name wasn't out there enough," said Brentley, a two-time City League Player of the Year. "I sent out a package with my highlight tape and newspaper articles about me to schools. The response we got back was tremendous."
Now, Brentley is headed to one of the most famous college football programs in the country. He signed Saturday with black college football power Grambling State University in Louisiana, the defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champions.

Read the rest of the story

Looks like the G-men got a steal. I hope he doesn't come in with the "up North" attitude that he is going to come down here and have a "cake-walk" to get the starting job.......................

His comments were pretty interesting.

Looks like we got a serious steal! May the dominance continue in the SWAC

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?rec ruitId=23610

Evaluation: Simply put, Brentley has a lot of physical ability, but he is green. Reminds us of former Bowling green QB Josh Harris in terms of build and tools. He has a very quick release and a strong arm. The ball jumps out of his hand. Has good size and has very good feet. Has good pocket awareness and does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield when things break down, yet he is always a threat to run. has a big arm, yet shows nice touch on fade routes and underneath throws. He has great size, could probably stand to lose a few pounds if he stays at quarterback, but is a load outside of the pocket when he tucks the ball. However, his athleticism also causes him to not have his feet set when he delivers the football. Often throws off his back foot and his footwork can be sloppy. He is a smooth passer and his release is compact and fluid. There is nothing mechanical about how he throws the ball. Although he has decent feet, his drops are somewhat slow at times particularly in the 3- step passing game. Does a nice job scrambling and is a surprisingly accurate passer on the move. This player has all the physical tools and can put the ball anywhere on the field, but he really needs to work on not forcing the ball and footwork when delivering the football. Potential sleeper in this class.

SAME OLD G said:
Perry QB picks Grambling

By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Now, Brentley is headed to one of the most famous college football programs in the country. He signed Saturday with black college football power Grambling State University in Louisiana, the defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champions.

Read the rest of the story

Man, we can not make this stuff up if we tried. If the author keeps this great journalistic reporting, he might find himself upon a Pultizer real soon.

Only Grambling baby -- the Icon _ _ _ _ _!

Now, Brentley has circled a date on his calendar, as Grambling's tentative 2007 schedule includes a Sept. 8 game against Pitt at Heinz Field.

at least someone in the swac is constantly scheduling up instead of down. good job G-men on the recruit and the scheduling.

major095 said:
at least someone in the swac is constantly scheduling up instead of down. good job G-men on the recruit and the scheduling.

What are you talking about? In the last 6 years we've played Division I-A University of Texas El-Paso twice, South Land Conference members McNeese (1), Nicholls State (2), Northwestern State (scheduled but Hurricane Rita interfered).

GSUperTiger said:
Man, we can not make this stuff up if we tried. If the author keeps this great journalistic reporting, he might find himself upon a Pultizer real soon.

Only Grambling baby -- the Icon _ _ _ _ _!

:lol: OK man.

Congrats Grambling on the signee. :tup:

Kudos on the signing (that kid is going to get massacred by the Football Jaguars Defense......"we couldn't make that up if tried"). :lol: :emlaugh:

0404desmond-a.jpg

Listed at 6'3 225

DaTruth4u said:
He has great size, could probably stand to lose a few pounds if he stays at quarterback, but is a load outside of the pocket...

Seems to me that somebody sent that boy some fried chicken and a big ham bone to gnaw on. I see what Gram is doing to be very competitive in the recruiting wars....

:jump:

*I ain't hating, but ain't it funny how the big boys wanna go to Gram? Who ya'll have up there catering? Paul Prudhomme?*

;)

Jaguar Diehard said:
Seems to me that somebody sent that boy some fried chicken and a big ham bone to gnaw on. I see what Gram is doing to be very competitive in the recruiting wars....

:jump:

*I ain't hating, but ain't it funny how the big boys wanna go to Gram? Who ya'll have up there catering? Paul Prudhomme?*

;)

We don't base our entire season on the Bayou Classic....we play game by game. Also, playing D-I schools gets noticed. This is no smack just real. Also, with Spears being Doug's first cousin carries weight to. These players think, "If I go to Grambling, maybe Doug will watch a few of the games and I'll get noticed."

THIS is why we are GREATNESS!!! Smack intended.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
We don't base our entire season on the Bayou Classic...

You may not base your entire season on the BC, but without a BC win...you're failures....but I digress.

Again, who doin the cooking? Maybe MD can go get some ideas because them ribs got the linebackers at AAMU, but they need some more O power!

That's all I'm saying....

Jaguar Diehard said:
Mannnnnnnn...back in the ol Smack days...nevermind...too easy!!! :cool:

You've made your so called point so move around DAMN!!!!!!!!!! WHy is it that you are worried about who is cooking for them down there. Hell if you want to know drive your arse to GRAM and ask around... Also why worry about Gram or AAMU????? Don't you need to be concerned with trying to have a winning season this go around in Baton Rouge the place were football naw nevermind..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jaguar Diehard said:
Mannnnnnnn...back in the ol Smack days...nevermind...too easy!!! :cool:

Man some of you Southern people are fugging stupid. Who gives damn about food...what does Pete carry other than about a $7,700.00 check every pay period that he's pimping your school for.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Man some of you Southern people are fugging stupid. Who gives damn about food...what does Pete carry other than about a $7,700.00 check every pay period that he's pimping your school for.
Please don't call anyone stupid. :smh:

the band fan said:
I saw him in person.....built like Bruce Eugene..but with Landers having 3 years to burn how will he be utilized?

You tought you saw Perry, He doesn't look anything like Bruce.

the band fan said:
I saw him in person.....built like Bruce Eugene..but with Landers having 3 years to burn how will he be utilized?
You never know what will happen. No one thought that Bruce would be knocked out year before last, but it happened. You can never have too many QB's that are willing to be committed to a program.

It says on espn.com/insider that Brentley was considering West Virginia, Akron, Pittsburg, Indiana and Maryland. Those are some schools from some pretty good conferences. West Virginia and Akron were rated as the top two schools on his list. If Launders isn't getting the job done early on and Brentley catches on fast, Spears will not hesitate to pull the plug. Experts say that he can make all the throws on the field. He was rated as the 34th best quarterback in the nation, in a class that was pretty good. He seems as if he has come cockiness to him, which isn't a bad thing at that position. I think Spears is trying to take this program to another level. No disrespect intended, but the rest of the conference needs to get on the grind. We have some excellent institutions in this conference and it makes no sense to have no type of parity in this conference.

Back