OU Coach Makes Racist Statement

I am wondering how prevalent the mind set is in college baseball as well as high school baseball. Can this be PART of the problem for a shortage in black baseball players which on the next level is well documented? Is this PART of the reason that some HBCU(s) are able to get top caliber black baseball players? In this coaches mind does most, half or very few AA have "N" in them? And what constitutes in his mind "N" in them? IMHO it is knieve to believe that he has not thought and even talked about it with friends/associates in the past. Hopefully he did not inadvertently or premeditatively discriminate against a kid based on a pre-conceived notion.

That is for the "N" word, I do not like it used by anyone (black, white ect.) period. I understand though that many people have a different perspective. I just don't see the word as a "term of endearment" in any instance...........Just My Opinion

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
So since WE hate the word so much why doesn't the NAACP step in and go on a National Tour to stp us from using the word instead of geeting in to politics.

I personaly don't hate any word....its and arrangement of letters....what is there to hate
:confused:

What I hate is the meaning coming from the person saying it AND lack of respect for another groups exclusiveness.

I don't see this "we see you use it" crap as an excuse. If I see two cats addressing each other as Bojangles you best believe the words won't leave my lips when addressing them unless I have been told what its meaning is AND I have been made to feel comfortable using the term if I chose to do so.

I don't do stuff just because I saw somebody else do it *smh* The coach knew better. He probably just thought he was among friends when using it and found differently.

Its funny how we can't understand blacks using this word but will be ready to whoop somebody arse for claiming a frat or sorority they don't belong to.

cat daddy said:
I agree with Panthro and Doc Nupe up there^^^^^.

So do I. I mean, what did the coach say, that Chris Rock hasn't already said.

Now I don't like to hear that word or any variation of it coming from anyone, but when our comedians, rappers, etc., put that word out there like we do, what the hell do we expect.

And some of our young people....:smh:

TSU/BAMA said:
So do I. I mean, what did the coach say, that Chris Rock hasn't already said.

Now I don't like to hear that word or any variation of it coming from anyone, but when our comedians, rappers, etc., put that word out there like we do, what the hell do we expect.

And some of our young people....:smh:

I've said this many times.

I have said to young people, don't get mad when your white associates use the term in your presence. Young blacks use it all the time no matter the setting. The minute a white kid goes to use it the same way they do, then they want to fight. :smh: Can't have it both ways.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Do you believe the coach listens to African-American comedians and rappers?

Probably so Jafus. Especially if he has teenage children. And we are not gonna mention the movies: Pulp Fiction, Bad Boys, Friday, etc. The list goes on, and on, and on. And you know, as well as I do that other ethnics groups watch this stuff. We have made the "N" word too common.

And like cat daddy said, "we can't have it both ways."

Someone was asking earlier for the entire quote, here ya go:

[QUOTE/}Cochell made the comments before Tuesday's game at Wichita State, according to ESPN announcers Gary Thorne and Kyle Peterson.
Thorne said he was talking with Cochell before the game in the dugout. Cochell summoned Joseph Dunigan, a 19-year-old black athlete from Chicago, to the dugout and complimented the freshman outfielder on his schoolwork.
After Dunigan walked away, Thorne said Cochell made a racial slur. According to the network, which first reported the incident on its 5 p.m. edition of SportsCenter, Cochell said: "There's no [racial epithet] in him."
Cochell, who is white, was speaking with ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson sometime later before the game. The two began talking about Dunigan.
ESPN reported that Cochell said to Peterson: "There are honkies and white people. And there are [racial epithet] and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."[QUOTE/]

Others are talking about it, including this thread at a site devoted to the New Orleans Saints:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161371

I just don't understand how anyone can turn this into a discussion about a word. That's not what it's about at all.

Not to me, anyway.

I say:
Sorry, it's larger than vocabulary.

This is someone to whom mothers are sending their children to mentor for four to five years. Someone who is expected to play a vital role in the molding and shaping of young athletes into great Americans. Some of whom, yes, are black.

If he feels comfortable in calling a key performer on his team a racially offensive name when the microphone is turned off, he's unfit to mentor youths into maturity. No matter their race.

See, it's not about being black. I wouldn't send my own son to play for such a coach - because what he said is repugnant. Why? Because he belittled a young person, the very youth he was supposed to protect, nurture and help grow into success.

It's also not about being politically correct. I couldn't trust him as a manager, since he's reckless enough to say such things in front of a reporter from a national media outlet.

And I am, if it matters, white.

More importantly, I am a parent and a supervisor in a Fortune 500 company. If he worked for me, I would fire him.

He got what he deserved.

TSU/BAMA,

Smile!! Not always, but I suppose gentlemen with differences in life perspectives.

For consideration. The Univerity of Oklahoma made a decision based on the preception (public image - communication with the external public) that they wish to have displayed by their school employees, especially those in the athletic department. I am sure there were more things involved in the decision than just this particular incident.

Remember this comes on the University's acknowledgement of the history and significants of the death of the university's first African American football player.

My mom, father, aunt, and cousin (football player), all alumns, were disappointed with the coach's comments. They were part of classes of students that intergrated the University of Oklahoma and to this day, they do not allow this word to be used in their house holds among their children. Personally, I do not think the university have much choice with all things considered.

I'm constantly reprimanding kids in my classes for saying that word. IMO, it's a vulgar, foul, derogatory term with no positive meaning whatsoever. Saying that IMO is far worse than saying f---, s----, or any other profanity that certainly is not to be tolerated in a school classroom.

I get responses like, "Man, we can't help it. It's how we talk. It's ok for US to say it, but YOU can't say it." I usually respond with the fact that I have no desire to say it or hear it for that matter, and if they can't help it, they should just not say anything at all (which is probably a good idea in class anyway...lol).

There are far too many words in the English language that can be used instead of this.

IMO, it's an insult to those that came before them, who had to tolerate being called that to their faces and other much worse things.

PNeck019 said:
I'm constantly reprimanding kids in my classes for saying that word. IMO, it's a vulgar, foul, derogatory term with no positive meaning whatsoever. Saying that IMO is far worse than saying f---, s----, or any other profanity that certainly is not to be tolerated in a school classroom.

I get responses like, "Man, we can't help it. It's how we talk. It's ok for US to say it, but YOU can't say it." I usually respond with the fact that I have no desire to say it or hear it for that matter, and if they can't help it, they should just not say anything at all (which is probably a good idea in class anyway...lol).

There are far too many words in the English language that can be used instead of this.

IMO, it's an insult to those that came before them, who had to tolerate being called that to their faces and other much worse things.

Let the chu'ch say AMEN!!!!!

Re: What If

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
A Black coach with white players on his team called a black player the "N" would the situation be any different?

Me personally I say no. First off he's a professional regardless of his or his players race.

Back