OU Coach Makes Racist Statement

Storm96

April 29 The University of Oklahoma is conducting an investigation after ESPN informed the school of racially-insensitive comments made to the network by OU's head baseball coach Larry Cochell.

Although Cochell remains head coach, assistant coach Sunny Golloway will serve on an interim basis until the matter is resolved, according to a statement released by the school. Golloway coached the Sooners in their 8-1 loss to Nebraska Friday night.

Tuesday, before the telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on ESPN2 and ESPNU, Cochell used a racially-insensitive term in off-camera interviews with ESPN to describe Sooners freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, an African-American.

Cochell was speaking with play-by-play announcer Gary Thorne when he called Dunigan over to praise him for staying in school. When the freshman returned to the field, Cochell told Thorne, "There's no n??- in him." The network informed the school that Cochell used similar language in an interview with ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ESPNSports/story?id=716758

Well,

He should start cleaning out his locker because I am sure he won't have a job after the investigation is complete.

He has resigned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2051357&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233
University president accepts letter of resignation

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma head baseball coach Larry Cochell resigned Sunday, two days after reports surfaced of alleged racial remarks he made during two off-camera interviews to a sports network.

The longtime coach submitted a letter of resignation to president David Boren, who had met hours before with athletic director Joe Castiglione and members of the university's black community on the matter.

Boren accepted the letter and said Castiglione has designated Sunny Golloway as interim head baseball coach for the rest of the season.

ESPN reported on Friday that before a telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on two of its networks on Tuesday, Cochell used racial epithets as he praised freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, who is black.

He repeated that in his resignation letter.

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university. Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people," the letter released by the university read. "... I do not want to be the cause of any person having a mistaken impression about our university. Therefore I hereby request that I be allowed to resign as head baseball coach of the University of Oklahoma effective immediately."

In a statement, Boren said no one took any pleasure in what happened.

"A good and caring man has made a terrible mistake for which he must assume responsibility," Boren said.

Josh Krulewitz, director of media relations for ESPN, said the network initially reported on the story during a Friday evening broadcast, during which Cochell's remarks were shown in a graphic. There interviews weren't taped.

The commentators were unaware that Cochell had made similar remarks in their separate pre-broadcast interviews until they discussed it a few days later, Krulewitz said.

"Production management was notified of the comments, at which time we decided to report the story," he said.

In his statement, Cochell said he was honored to have been the caretaker of the OU baseball program, which he took over in 1991.

"I love and respect the University of Oklahoma," Cochell said. "There is not a university in the country that has done more to create a true sense of family based upon mutual respect."

He basically used a word that quite a few black folx use towards other blacks. :confused: And that made it "wrong?" lol When the "white" folk use it, that makes it "wrong?" Blasphemy. Pure blasphemy.

Shid, truth of the matter is that he ONLY said what MOST of US think anyway. We know there are <b>very significant cultural</b> differences in this multi-faceted race of people broadly referred to as "African-American." We have n i * * * *, Negroes, Blacks, and African-Americans. :confused: Just like I'm sure the social-heirarchy of caucasians have white trash, crackers, redneck, and Caucasian. What the deal? :confused:

Let him stay. He ain't said anything that most of us wouldn't say.

Reggie White (RIP :(), send help

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university. Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people," the letter released by the university read. "... I do not want to be the cause of any person having a mistaken impression about our university. Therefore I hereby request that I be allowed to resign as head baseball coach of the University of Oklahoma effective immediately."

If they were contray to his beliefs he wouldn't be using them in the first place. The old saying " Say what you mean and mean what you say." Big ups to the reports that had enough b@llz to turn that in. As long as they know they can get away with it, they will continue to do it.

For the record, I don't like when "we" use the N word and I sure in hell don't like it when "they" use it. :look:

IWJNSU said:
For the record, I don't like when "we" use the N word and I sure in hell don't like it when "they" use it. :look:

May need to convey that to quite a few generations of people of color IWJNSU. These youngsters use it and glamourize it like it's nothing (to them). For that reason alone, <b> they</b>, whomever they are, feel like it's relevance is not significant nor harmful if they too use it. :( Demeaning or not.

Come on Panthro, you know how he/they feel when they say the word. He meant that ish. He's just trying to do damage control with the little PR apology.

Jim Crow send help

Panthro said:
May need to convey that to quite a few generations of people of color IWJNSU. These youngsters use it and glamourize it like it's nothing (to them). For that reason alone, <b> they</b>, whomever they are, feel like it's relevance is not significant nor harmful if they too use it. :( Demeaning or not.

IWJNSU said:

Well I for one have scolded several students at my school for allowing their coaches to use it. First of all what kind of image are you potraying to the other players when you call the students out of their names. (not taking up for or youth) But when they use it means something totally different from Whites using it over our heads. N@gger to the whites means a degrading, no good black person that is below all other species. N@gga to the blacks can be referred to as a friend or foe.

I had an English teacher use the term, but she used it in a way as if she wasn't saying it but she was at the same time. She said Negra but we knew what she was hitting at. After class we approached her and told her that she could use black, African American, and we even said she could say colored but not to use that phrase again in our presence.

Panthro said:

I understand what your are saying. A co-worker asked me the same question, why we can use the word and they can't. I couldn't answer him to save my life. I think they just don't know any better.

NASTYNUPE said:
Come on Panthro, you know how he/they feel when they say the word. He meant that ish. He's just trying to do damage control with the little PR apology.

Jim Crow send help

Yeah, I know the game NN. But still... I have issues w/ it being a big deal since "he" said it. What if one of our coaches said (which I'm most certain SOME of them do!)? Then what? :confused: Feel me?

IWJNSU said:
I understand what your are saying. A co-worker asked me the same question, why we can use the word and they can't. I couldn't answer him to save my life. I think they just don't know any better.

Hey tell him because our ancestors got their azz beat by them using that terminology. Maybe if there hadn't been slavery and the azz whoopings then maybe it wouldn't hurt for them to say it. But until they can go back and change history :confused:

Panthro said:
Yeah, I know the game NN. But still... I have issues w/ it being a big deal since "he" said it. What if one of our coaches said (which I'm most certain SOME of them do!)? Then what? :confused: Feel me?

Panthro I look at it this way. When one of our coaches uses the term not only are they referring to the player but also to himself. If we were use the term as calling white kids crackers, trailer trash, hicks, rednecks, or whatever they think is demeaning then I think the same action should take place.

I agree with Pantro. It's not any Nigg.... in that kid. I hate *****.....s and Crackers but I love Black People and White People. What we need to do in have classes on racial sensitivity to understand what people mean by the word. As black people we are so racially sensitive and quick to blame others for our own transgressions. This kid is in school doing his thing. There is no N----in him....now a kid who got a full scholarship to play ball...the fuggs off and flunks out...then there is a lot of N in him.

If we don't want people referring to us in that manner then we need to stop reffering to EACH other in that manner.

Panthro said:
He basically used a word that quite a few black folx use towards other blacks. :confused: And that made it "wrong?" lol When the "white" folk use it, that makes it "wrong?" Blasphemy. Pure blasphemy.

Shid, truth of the matter is that he ONLY said what MOST of US think anyway. We know there are <b>very significant cultural</b> differences in this multi-faceted race of people broadly referred to as "African-American." We have n i * * * *, Negroes, Blacks, and African-Americans. :confused: Just like I'm sure the social-heirarchy of caucasians have white trash, crackers, redneck, and Caucasian. What the deal? :confused:

Let him stay. He ain't said anything that most of us wouldn't say.

Reggie White (RIP :(), send help

OU was looking out for OU. If this guy would have stayed on as coach, this would have been a "recruiting" tool for other universities to use against them.

I would bet my bottom dollar on that.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
If we don't want people referring to us in that manner then we need to stop reffering to EACH other in that manner.

That's the gist of what I wanted to say. :tup:

Thx.

Jam Piper Jam said:
I would like to know exactly what he meant when he said the phrase.

That's what I was wondering.
It's a habit that's hard to break when you talk like that all the time.How many of us have slipped and said niqqa when were'nt supposed to.

pbla said:
That's what I was wondering.
It's a habit that's hard to break when you talk like that all the time.How many of us have slipped and said niqqa when were'nt supposed to.

That's why I make a conscientious effort not to use the word. I don't won't it to ooze out at the most inopportune moment.

As I've said before and will say again....certain groups tolerate certain things from their own that they won't tolerate from outsiders. The word ni99a is no different.

If you wear a frat shirt of an organization of which you are not a part of you can rest assured they will approach you about it. So I don't see where people come up with this stupid arse question of why can blacks say it but whites can't. Everytime I hear of someone asking that I want to slap them and tell them quit acting brand new. We are talking about grown arse adults acting like kids saying "well I saw them do it so I thought I could do it too" We all know that THEY know good and dayum well what the deal is.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
As I've said before and will say again....certain groups tolerate certain things from their own that they won't tolerate from outsiders. The word ni99a is no different.

If you wear a frat shirt of an organization of which you are not a part of you can rest assured they will approach you about it. So I don't see where people come up with this stupid arse question of why can blacks say it but whites can't. Everytime I hear of someone asking that I want to slap them and tell them quit acting brand new. We are talking about grown arse adults acting like kids saying "well I saw them do it so I thought I could do it too" We all know that THEY know good and dayum well what the deal is.

So since WE hate the word so much why doesn't the NAACP step in and go on a National Tour to stp us from using the word instead of geeting in to politics.

I agree with Panthro and Doc Nupe up there^^^^^. In the coaches statement, he is actually giving the player a compliment. He went around the block to do it, but I'm sure that in his mind, that's what he is doing.

cat daddy said:
I agree with Panthro and Doc Nupe up there^^^^^. In the coaches statement, he is actually giving the player a compliment. He went around the block to do it, but I'm sure that in his mind, that's what he is doing.

Yes he was complimenting that kid but what do you think about the other black guys on the team.

Wouldn't have been better to just leave it as saying that's a good kid.

ASU2002 said:
Yes he was complimenting that kid but what do you think about the other black guys on the team.

Wouldn't have been better to just leave it as saying that's a good kid.

Oh, no doubt ASU2002! Too simple I guess.

If I were to make an intelligent guesstimation on the character of the coach (if there were indeed other black kids on the team), then 9 times out of 10 we know EXACTLY what he meant and how EASILY the "N" word flowed from his mouth. But still, it peaks curiosity when I see something almost oxymoronic as this. It's that do as I say but not as I do mentality.

Back