Ocean of Soul v.s. World Famed Results

TSU_OceanOfSoul

Can anyone tell me how the bands did and which band was the best. I did not march b/c i'm sick and shut-in due to the flu. I heard the band playing on the radio and what i did hear was pretty good (skin, just a dog) but its nuthin' like being there and hearing it from a first perston point of view. So who does everyone think the best band was on today? The Ocean or The World Famed.

well to me the ocean took the W. both bands sounded good and both had their mistakes. i really wasn't feelin anybodys show. i love to hear the ocean play torture i heard some of it while they were marching in and it sounded good.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was not impressed by either side. ALL of the bands are killing me with this stand still and rock crap now. Where's the footwork? Where's the flare? You don't see any hype until they TRY to bring it for the breakdown, which is usually something tired and half practiced!! No doubt both sounds were great in the stands. But on the field, I'll offer this icon: :smh:

Oh yeah J-Redd, before I forget, the game had already started when TSU decided that they were ready to face Gram. They weren't playing when they walked in. We were with the were sitting on the visitors' side, where TSU sat, and we didn't know they were there until someone mentioned that they decided to show after all. Just an observation.

Originally posted by monchichi
I was not impressed by either side. ALL of the bands are killing me with this stand still and rock crap now. Where's the footwork? Where's the flare? You don't see any hype until they TRY to bring it for the breakdown, which is usually something tired and half practiced!! No doubt both sounds were great in the stands. But on the field, I'll offer this icon: :smh:

Oh yeah J-Redd, before I forget, the game had already started when TSU decided that they were ready to face Gram. They weren't playing when they walked in. We were with the were sitting on the visitors' side, where TSU sat, and we didn't know they were there until someone mentioned that they decided to show after all. Just an observation.

Actually TSU did play but it was outside of the gate.....

I'll give my report later....

In my opinion I wasn't truly overwhelmed by TSU. I guess I was expecting more since I have seen them in recent years. But good job though on the songs you all played. Field show I'd have to give to us because that is what we do we can't be beat on the field. In the stands I don't know we had our bright spots and they had their bright spots. All in all good job to both bands though.

:confused: at some of these comments.

I guess I had to be at the game to understand..........based on what I saw on MBC, I was VERY impressed with TxSU's sound. :D

Now the field shows on the other hand.......... sorry, but :eek:

Let me say this before I go to class.

First, we had to march all the way from the Band room to the stadium, We was on time, GSU, yall saw us when we got off the bus, yall was getting ready to march to the stadium so don't say we finally decided to march in.

Anyway, we Played Torture when we were at the gates, couldn't really play torture coming in the stadium, Yall people know How GSU stadium is, we were up top coming down into the stadium.

Second, We mudered GSU in the Stands and on the Feild.

I'll say GSU has a average B-tone section. Not outstanding or anything. The rest of their band, or shall I say Brass cause nothing else was heard, wasn't putting out at all except for the Baritones, which made them look good. It seemed like the whole band played at pianissimo except for the B-tones on every song. Oh, Please don't play ESPN again in life. We laughed when we thought yall was gonna crank on the break. it didn't even go up a notch. We shut yall down with ESPN. I did like battling that song.

Halftime- WHo cares who liked either show, let's state the facts. The World Famed (wellat least supposed to be anyways) Dance routine was nice, They didn't do a Feild Show. Trying to be like FAMU gets you nowhere. TXSU's Show had way more intensity, Sound Volume, and Drive. Their Drum Major Entrance was way better than GSU's hands down, and their Dance Routine was executed better than Grambling's 9 min Dance Routine.

3,4,5th- Everyone talks about the Ocean playing Rap tunes, Well, we flipped the Script, and played Full songs while Grambling over in the corner playin crowd pleasers. Sectionals Grambling got toasted on by each section., We didn't play many rap tunes. In Fact I think we only played three- P.I.M.P, Screw, Just a Dog. Everything else was full songs. I knew Mr. Lee had somethin up his sleeve when we played Skin in the 3rd Quarter. we usually play that as our last song in the 5th. We knew then he wanted to run repertoire, but Grambling did a weak post game show. And we still stayed and played 3 songs,

Everyone- Whoever wants a copy of this game holla at ya boy. Tape don't lie. This was a warm up game.

Both bands did well. Overall GSU has improved how ever the "Ocean" was better over all.

First half - Neither band played much. Tie

Halftime -

Drumajors - TxSU

Drill- TxSU Hands down

Dancers- TxSU

Dance Routine-
Toss up. Depends on what you like.

Second Half - TxSU Hands down

It was a good battle hoever TxSU just unleashed on GSU during the second half.

5th - There wasn't one . GSU did the EA SPORTS thingy . TxSU played two songs.

Full Moon :eek2: :eek2:

Super Star :eek2: (Very Nice)

This was the best GSU band I've seen in awhile keep up the good work.

:cool:

I just want to apologize for our announcer refering to TSU as a high school band. :shame:
I hate cheap shots like that and that IS NOT our style. We are a band of class.
That's all I have to say!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
I just want to apologize for our announcer refering to TSU as a high school band. :shame:
I hate cheap shots like that an that IS NOT our style. We are a band of class.

:eek2:

What?!?!?!?! Not the almighty Grambling downing another band!!!!!!

You used to be so.....

Originally posted by s phi s
:eek2:

What?!?!?!?! Not the almighty Grambling downing another band!!!!!!

You used to be so.....
What can I say,.....she hadn't announced for us all year so they put her on the mic for HC. I guess it was a last min. call. :shame:

personally, I was not very impressed by either band. Homecoming is always boring for Grambling so that wasn't a surprise. They have to play all of the "Old School" for the alumni. The sound was pretty good though for both bands.

We have no hard feelings toward GSU. That was "classless" of the annoucer. Your Head BD as well as many other apolygized to the "Ocean" for her tasteless remarks.

Apology accepted.

I will say this. The GSU gropu with the acception of the annoucer gave us a warm welcome indeed. I enjoyed the weekend as did the rest of the "Ocean".

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Every section??????

So are you all saying that Tx Su's Tuba section ran through ours????:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

H naw yall played one week arse fanfare(Voodoo) which we blew back with tremedous volume and creativity as for the rest of the band the b-tones ate yall up and I'll give it to your t-bones

boo boo field show nice girls lousy break down

All Honestly said by a Silverdawg

Re: Every section??????

Originally posted by Silverdawg
So are you all saying that Tx Su's Tuba section ran through ours????:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

H naw yall played one week arse fanfare(Voodoo) which we blew back with tremedous volume and creativity as for the rest of the band the b-tones ate yall up and I'll give it to your t-bones

boo boo field show nice girls lousy break down

All Honestly said by a Silverdawg

Pure Ness:rolleyes:

Was it the annoucer from last year? if so, I expected much more class and respect than that.

Originally posted by dominion1906
We have no hard feelings toward GSU. That was "classless" of the annoucer. Your Head BD as well as many other apolygized to the "Ocean" for her tasteless remarks.

Apology accepted.

I will say this. The GSU gropu with the acception of the annoucer gave us a warm welcome indeed. I enjoyed the weekend as did the rest of the "Ocean".

Ok here it is from and Old Head, (1981) The show went to Texas Southern University Ocean Of Soul. yes I said it..... The Ocean came out and did a clean show, nice sound, and good movement. As I was standing on the sideline I was talking to Mr. Lee and he stated that the GSU Alumni should like that. I said yeah, your show keep moving, with no dead spots, and not a hole lot of stuff. You keep the band centered on the field, with a good driveing song for the opening.
When GSU took the field I did not see hype on the side lines before they took the field. When the played the march, and did the dig step, and it was not popping I knew then it was not our day.
TSU really just did what they need to do with a clean show and told Grambling if you want it take it..... But what got taken was GSU Nuts.

So take it from a die-hart alum, Sat Nov. 1, 2003, was your day!!!

Hmmmmmm

Well sir,....
You are old school and I know nobody is about to come on here and say you have no right. :(

Re: Hmmmmmm

Well sir,....
You are old school and I know nobody is about to come on here and say you have no right. :(

Trust me, it hurts me to say that but.... one thang is for sure Grambling has always told it like it was. TSU show was just a good clean show. All Grambling had to do was to do what they have been doing all year, and that's kicking butt and taken names.

Hey, in so many words there was just.... No Engery

Originally posted by WorldFamed-81
Ok here it is from and Old Head, (1981) The show went to Texas Southern University Ocean Of Soul. yes I said it..... The Ocean came out and did a clean show, nice sound, and good movement. As I was standing on the sideline I was talking to Mr. Lee and he stated that the GSU Alumni should like that. I said yeah, your show keep moving, with no dead spots, and not a hole lot of stuff. You keep the band centered on the field, with a good driveing song for the opening.
When GSU took the field I did not see hype on the side lines before they took the field. When the played the march, and did the dig step, and it was not popping I knew then it was not our day.
TSU really just did what they need to do with a clean show and told Grambling if you want it take it..... But what got taken was GSU Nuts.

So take it from a die-hart alum, Sat Nov. 1, 2003, was your day!!!

Your honesty in your asessment is well noted. Thanks for keeping it real.

Re: Re: Hmmmmmm

Originally posted by WorldFamed-81
Trust me, it hurts me to say that but.... one thang is for sure Grambling has always told it like it was. TSU show was just a good clean show. All Grambling had to do was to do what they have been doing all year, and that's kicking butt and taken names.

Hey, in so many words there was just.... No Engery
I will still say that musically,....Grambling was the better band. I could hear the top, bottom and the middle in every song. I just prefer a dark color sound.

My hat goes off to TSU's T-bones!!!

The annoucer thing was not Grambling "World Famed" like. Please don't act like Txsu announcer hasn't said anything similar before or other bands in the SWAC. I expected more from GSU. Another sign of Classless-ness...txsu playing after Grambling had already started to play. That is Classless. Aside from that TXSU had a good showing.

Originally posted by Harmonical Phrase

I knew Mr. Lee had somethin up his sleeve when we played Skin in the 3rd Quarter. we usually play that as our last song in the 5th. We knew then he wanted to run repertoire, but Grambling did a weak post game show. And we still stayed and played 3 songs,

What post game show? This is how lies get started. Anyonw with half a brain saw that "THE WORLD FAMED" was filming a spot for the EA Sports game. Very seldom is there a 5th quarter at a GSU homecoming. The high school bands perform the post game. It has been that way for years. It is nothing new. Your band director started playing songs because he knew (or should have known) there wasn't going to be a 5th.

Back