No Umbrellas at Eddie G. Robinson Stadium

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
GRAMBLING ? The Grambling State University athletic department has announced that no umbrellas will be allowed at GSU football games in Eddie G. Robinson Stadium.

" One reason is that umbrellas can be dangerous and used like weapons," GSU Director of Athletics Al Dennis said. "And the main reason is that when you have that many umbrellas in a crowd of people, many people wouldn?t be able to see the game."

Dennis encouraged fans to bring ponchos and slickers to battle any inclimate weather at future Grambling football games.

I totally agree with this.

I wished this "no unbrellas" rule was enforced at all athletics outdoor events. This is a real problem at outdoor track and fields meets.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm glad someone finally stepped up and made the move. Hope JSU follows. But now comes enforcement. You know nukkas are gonna test it.

The ban will work!

Originally posted by Robber
I'm glad someone finally stepped up and made the move. Hope JSU follows. But now comes enforcement. You know nukkas are gonna test it.

They banned umbrellas in Mumford about 8 or 9 years ago. I few fans challenged it, but by and large, every one complied. The main reason is most fans wanted the umbrellas gone. Those things are very dangerous, poking people in the face and body and pouring water all over the person sitting behind you. They also block your sight to the field. The fans would report to the ushers and cops when someone had an umbrella and after a few games no one tried to sneak one in.

Get smart and order tons of them with a Gram logo and get a vendors license and sell right there at the gate! When the police turn them around at the gate with umbrellas or it starts to rain, you could make a killing. That's what happen in Jaguarland!

Spots is right on all counts. Especially the poncho sales.

I remarked to some folk last year (at GSU's homecoming) that umbrellas should be banned and mentioned SU's policy. You know that pissed them off...but I told them it wasn't a matter of "being like SU", but that umbrellas blocked vision and got the person sitting near you wet.

We came to an amicable agreement and it was all good afterall!

BIGG Mike

Originally posted by MikeBigg

I remarked to some folk last year (at GSU's homecoming) that umbrellas should be banned and mentioned SU's policy. You know that pissed them off...but I told them it wasn't a matter of "being like SU", but that umbrellas blocked vision and got the person sitting near you wet.

I hear ya....but it's funny how the individual or individuals lost focus when you mentioned SU. I guess we should let yall when a few Bayou Classics Hun! LOL! :emlaugh: No Pun intended..however a policy like this should be active in all stadiums

Miami Jag knows [size=1.5](thinks)[/size]he can get away with smartazz comments cuz he's a homie. He better recognize! :D

I saw your homeboy TNeal at JD's last weekend...you know he was talking that same smack you talk. When I mixed him a pitcher of Rumaretta Sour, he was really talking isht then.

Yall jags better take some ponchos to the dome, cuz we gonna pour out some azz whipping on yall!

<marquee>[size=4.5]I KNOW IT'S SMACK...BUT IT'S A "TWO-MILE" INN THING!</marquee>[/size]

Yall jags better take some ponchos to the dome, cuz we gonna pour out some azz whipping on yall!

<marquee>[size=4.5]I KNOW IT'S SMACK...BUT IT'S A "TWO-MILE" INN THING!</marquee>[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL! Boy you are Wild!

Tell Neal I said what's up. As far as that azz whipping you speak about....well you know that is greek to me. 'Cause all the jags do is pour plenty of wins against yall! Maybe yall shouldn't abandon that umbrella rule just yet! :emlaugh:

How Typical!

Miami Jag,

How typical of Gramblingnites! Can't accept an idea if Southern is doing it. Narrowmindedness will overshadow intellect every time!

Great move GSU. If someone is too cute to get a little wet, they need to watch/listen from their living room sofa. Before they changed the rule in Mumford, I can remember people ( I won't say fans) pulling out umbrellas to block the sun.

<marquee>[size=4.5]I KNOW IT'S SMACK...BUT IT'S A "TWO-MILE" INN THING!</marquee>[/size] [/B]

I remember that place spent the night there once, left about the time the sun came up. Didn't it burn or fall down?

Re: How Typical!

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

Miami Jag,

How typical of Gramblingnites! Can't accept an idea if Southern is doing it. Narrowmindedness will overshadow intellect every time!

TYPICAL SU LOGIC

Originally posted by BgJag

I remember that place spent the night there once, left about the time the sun came up. Didn't it burn or fall down?

I think it burned downed Bg! That was so many years ago I can't remember.

Originally posted by BgJag

Actually, there were two nightclubs located side by side. The original owners were first cousins. My "aunt" and her husband owned what was originally the Rainbow Inn. Her husband's first cousin and her husband owned the Satelite Inn. The original Two-Mile Inn went out of business in the 50's, but people began calling my aunt's business the two mile inn. Then when she and her husband died and their place closed, folk started referring to the remaining place as the Two Mile Inn. The remaining place burned down "mysteriously" after it was purchased by a white realtor.

I pass by that area often and reflect on the fun times that I had there as a youth. When I grew up, I had several cousins who had homes near the nightclubs. I was especially close to the "aunt" I mentioned and spent many days playing around her club while she and my mother cleaned it up from the previous nite. Her mother in law owned a grocery store that was just on one side of the club...best dayum summer sausage and RC cola's in the world.

Memories....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: CAUGHT YOU

Originally posted by CATMENDUE2
Seeing Spots

Can you explain what you meant

Yes.

Can you understand what I meant is the better question?

Read the post from MikeBigg about the umbrellas ban.

I hope they ban them at Jack Spinks.

What really kills me is on a sunny day you have people with them.

Exactly, purplerush. And that is when people are really gonna test it. If ASU does away with the umbrellas, then we need to have ALL evening games.

I can remember several years ago when we played at Mumford Stadium, and it was forecasted to rain. We had our umbrellas and were told to leave them in the van b/c SU didn't want umbrellas in the stadium. When we got in the game, it poured! All I had was my leather coat to shield me. That happened to alot of us Alcornites that evening.

All games played at Alcorn before October should be played at night.The heat in SW Mississippi is nothing to play with.

Back