New York Post on Aaliyah's funeral

MsJag4Jag

I'm not understanding why some folks want to downplay her death. Who's to say how fans should morning the death of someone they loved IN THEIR OWN RIGHTS. My take is this...IF you didn't care about her or didn't know her, why comment at all? Why try to belittle what these people OBVIOUSLY feel is necessary for them to deal with the grief?---J4J

SURE, HER DEATH'S TRAGIC - BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH

By ROD DREHER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 31, 2001 -- RIGHT, so we're all sad that Aaliyah is dead, and no one begrudges her a proper send-off. But a traffic-snarling, horse-drawn cortege in honor of a pop singer most people have never heard of? Give us a break!
Something like that is due a public figure of great distinction. President John F. Kennedy received this honor, as did Princess Diana and Mother Teresa of Calcutta - all deserved, by virtue of their position in society, extraordinary service to humanity, or both.

Great artists can merit such high distinction. In 1824, Lord Byron had 40 empty carriages in his funeral cortege from London to Nottingham, a sign of high respect from the British aristocracy.

Byron was, of course, one of the greatest poets of his age. One of his most famous verses could be recited by an admiring eulogist as tribute to Aaliyah: "And thou art dead, as young and fair /As aught of mortal birth; /And form so soft, and charms so rare, / Too soon return'd to Earth!"

Byron shares with the Brooklyn-born songbird an interest in the agonies of romantic loss. On her latest album, Aaliyah trills, "Hey sexy baby / Why'd your girl leave you in pain / To let a fine man like you go / She must be insane."

That quatrain, is, alas, unlikely to win Aaliyah a place alongside Byron among the immortals.

To her fans, though, the young woman who once declared, in song, "I'm-a make it hot like fire, oooh-oooh," is already a secular goddess. Declares the Aaliyahonline.com site: "She's like Princess Diana to our hip-hop community."

Well, that explains a lot. Diana's funeral, the horses drawing her coffin wading through tears up to their bridles, was the epitome of modern celebrity worship, which manifested itself in a ghoulish saturnalia of sentimentality.

But it doesn't explain everything. Diana was the future queen of England, mother of a future king, and one of the most recognized women in the world.

And Aaliyah? Most people - including, I would wager, 99 percent of those whose holiday-weekend travel will be delayed by her slow-moving equine hearse - first heard the singer's name in connection with her death.

A public funerary gesture as dramatic as a horse-drawn cortege befits the dignity of very few people in anyone's lifetime. The family of Aaliyah, a beloved daughter but undistinguished singer of forgettable pop songs, does the poor woman's memory no favors with this tasteless gesture.

As inflammatory as one may perceive this man's views to be, he has the right to express them. And it would appear that he is getting paid to do so.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Oooo, there?s gonna be some consequences and repercussions for that one. Rod better look out.

:eek:

Having the right to say something and know what/when to say are two obviously different things. His "reward" for this is unimportant. He was and is insensitive to the mourners and this woman's family.....printed on the day of her burial no less. He is a Lifeless bastich! Just makes me shake my head. He is no better than the folks who told the suicidal woman to jump from the bridge in Seattle this week. SAD!

You're right, Kema, there are times when expressing a view may be considered inappropriate, but he still has the right to speak, whether we agree with his timing or not.

What he DOESN'T have is the sense to know when to get somewhere, sit down, and STFU.

Her funeral service couldn't have been too much out of order, or uncommon. Hell, if she hadn't been deemed "important" :rolleyes: enough, the city would not have allowed the streets to be closed so that processional could take place.

He maybe intitled to his opinion. I will not argue for or against that. But consider the source. It is a writer from the New York Post.

I will agree that his timing was bad, and it could have been written later. But I do not always associate tastefulness with the NY Post.

Do not be surprised by something like this from the tabloid NY Post. Just when they seem not to be able to stoop any lower (like writing a column on this day), writers like this one will find a way.

Originally posted by Vinita
You're right, Kema, there are times when expressing a view may be considered inappropriate, but he still has the right to speak, whether we agree with his timing or not.

What he DOESN'T have is the sense to know when to get somewhere, sit down, and STFU.

Her funeral service couldn't have been too much out of order, or uncommon. Hell, if she hadn't been deemed "important" :rolleyes: enough, the city would not have allowed the streets to be closed so that processional could take place.
You know my 14 year old little sister said the same thing this morning when they were talking about this article. I just sat and said you are right. He does have fredom of speech. Some folks want the man fired and all that. He is a journalist and he does have to right to write what he wants when he wants. He is protected be the 1st amendment whether we agree with him or not. With that being said..here is my opinion....

I think the article was tastless and insensitive. :(

Who is he to say who should get a horse drawn carriage or not? That is not his call.:mad:

His right is not ambiguous here... it is his common sense...

EB, you made a good point there. I did not know (because I don't normally read the NYPOST) that this was a "rag" magazine. Now that I know, I can consider the source. This is expected of them.

It amazes me that all these so-called DGAF about Aaliyah people keep talking about her and her death....how many more writers and DJ's will come out with the Aaliyah bashing? This is beyond sad. I really feel for this child's family.:(

This is most definitely tasteless and insensitive, but so far just about everything I've heard from the media in regards to Aaliyah...has been.

SMH...this is so sad.:(

I sure hope when I die, people won't talk about me like this.

:( :bawling: :(

Dtown, don't plan on dying. There will always be some butthead to talk noise regardless. They talked about Jesus Christ, so there you have it. Not even he could get a good review.

This is America and your laws gives this less than human being the right. Sad...but fair.

But they described the Fire chief as being "a saint" HMMMM....I wonder how it would have been had Madonna been in that plane?

If Madonna had died like Aaliyah...............

It would be 10 times worse, with less backlash.

A definite 'double-standard'.

:rolleyes:

Back