New OVC commissioner offers solutions

This is just a bunch of retoric BS

...and why they picked TSU president Dr Hefner to co-sign it is beyond me.

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
I wish that Dr. Hefner would see the light and bring the Big Blue Tigers on back home to an HBCU football conference.

What do you mean "back home"?
45078_ovc2003map.jpg

Looks like they ARE home.

Originally posted by Ralph
What do you mean "back home"?
45078_ovc2003map.jpg

Looks like they ARE home.

Not the way we the TSU fans/alumni/students & supporters see it.

Aren't Austin Peay and Morehead St in that footprint also? Well there now playing in the non-scholarship div of NCAA 1-AA fb.

Do you wish this upon Tenn St?? Well unless we start to utilize our true revenue potential that is exactly what will happen to us.

Our fans have absolutely -0- in common with these schools, besides that we play all our home games in a 70,000,00 seat facility in which we have a contractual obligation of 20+ years, that my friend is costing TSU a lot of money, these OVC teams are close to TSU in mileage, other than that, there's nothing else.

These schools couldn't draw flies to a watermelon eating contest. :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Well! my friend, by adding Samford and Jacksonville State to the OVC, it appears that you will have more PWC friends. Samford and Jax State don't have large crowds at their games and they don't travel.

Hornetswarm,

Well! my friend, by adding Samford and Jacksonville State to the OVC, it appears that you will have more PWC friends. Samford and Jax State don't have large crowds at their games and they don't travel.

Not only this, but it also reduces the number of games Tennessee State University can schedule against other HBCU programs by two. That is also significant in my opinion.

So, the "potential revenue" that could be generated in an additional "Classic" or two or homecoming game is no longer available. Off, the top of my head conservatively that could be at least a 1/4 of a million dollars ($250,000) loss.

Where and how can you get that back?

I do not believe the addition of Samford and Jacksonville State (sponsorships, television revenue, and NCAA Tournament revenue) will allow the OVC to give that back to Tennessee State University in conference payouts to member institutions.

Roar Man,

Check It Out!! Interesting!!

ETSU?s days in SoCon may be numbered

By Kelly Hodge
Press Managing Sports Editor

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/default.asp?SectionID=DETAIL&ID=24635

East Tennessee State athletics may soon be headed back to the future ? without the football gear, of course.

University president Dr. Paul Stanton said Thursday that he?s virtually certain the Bucs? 25-year association with the Southern Conference will end after the 2003-04 school year.

Their new home may well turn out to be the rapidly expanding Ohio Valley Conference, where they competed for two decades prior to 1978.

?It doesn?t look too hopeful, in all candor,? Stanton said of a SoCon reprieve. ?I think we can get six or seven votes, but not nine.?

ETSU is dropping football after this season and needs three-quarters of the 12 schools to vote for a waiver, as required by conference bylaws, to continue on. More than a couple simply aren?t going to go along.

Stanton said Furman and Georgia Southern are ?entrenched? in their positions against a waiver. Wofford would likely join them when it comes right down to it, he said, and Davidson and The Citadel may not be swayed either.

Much of the internal debate since Stanton made his case at the league meetings last month in Myrtle Beach has centered on VMI, the longtime SoCon member which was forced out when it wanted to downgrade football. VMI joined the Big South on Tuesday, yielding to newcomer Elon, without ever requesting a formal vote on a waiver.

?The driving force is how VMI was dealt with: ?We treated VMI this way, so how can we make an exception for you??? said Stanton. ?And VMI had been in the conference for 80 years, which is a whole lot longer than us. I think that?s still playing a major part in where we currently stand in the conference.?

There?s also the belief that football is the SoCon?s foundation, along with an undercurrent of concerns about how much better ETSU?s other sports might become without the annual $1.4 million expense of football. The Bucs finished second in the men?s all-sports standings this year despite less than average funding.

Stanton says he will talk with the various Southern Conference presidents in the next couple of weeks and conduct his own ?straw poll.? If it?s apparent he doesn?t have the votes, ETSU may cut its losses without going through the formality of losing.

?I want this decided by the end of July,? said Stanton. ?Everybody wants to know whether we?ve won or lost on this one. There?s no desire on my part for the conference to be embarrassed or us to be embarrassed by a no vote. If we don?t have the support, we?ll accept that and look for another conference.?

Which way would they turn? There aren?t a whole lot of options for a mid-major like ETSU.

?Some fit and some don?t,? said Stanton. ?I?ve asked (athletic director) Dave Mullins to explore the OVC, Big South, Conference USA, Sun Belt. Geographically the best fit is the OVC. There are already four other Tennessee schools in there and it has a southern orientation for the most part. We want to be in a conference with fixed berths to the NCAA.?

The OVC has a different look than it used to.

Samford and Jacksonville State were officially welcomed in on Tuesday, giving the league a record 11 members and a large footprint in Alabama. Along with the four Tennessee schools (Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State, Tennessee-Martin and Austin Peay) and three from Kentucky (Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State and Murray State), it also reaches into Missouri (Southeast Missouri State) and Illinois (Eastern Illinois).

How quickly ETSU?s fate can be determined remains to be seen, but Stanton said it?s possible the Bucs could jump ship and be rescued all within weeks.

?It could be done by the end of the month conceivably, depending on the enthusiasm of whatever conference,? he said. ?We have to have a home by next July or we?ll be independent. And for a school our size, that?s certainly not a winner.?

Stanton said he knew all along the possible consequences dropping football would have on ETSU?s conference affiliation.

?The conference has been a big issue, but the biggest issue is doing what?s best for this institution,? he said. ?It?s not about wants or desires; it?s about what we can or can?t do. We just can?t go on like we have been.?

Jafus,

This is indeed "interesting". My thoughts are "off the top of my head" that if they are admitted to the OVC then "in the short term" it'll only effect basketball and the non-revenue sports, but, looking out for the interest of TSU i would be fearful that they (ETSU) would look at resurrecting their fb program in the future limiting even more HBCU fb games for TSU.

For all we know they could even backtrack on their decision to drop fb in totality once they got in the OVC. I woudn't take the chance, TSU has to much to lose.

Stanton says he will talk with the various Southern Conference presidents in the next couple of weeks and conduct his own ?straw poll.? If it?s apparent he doesn?t have the votes, ETSU may cut its losses without going through the formality of losing.

How quickly ETSU?s fate can be determined remains to be seen, but Stanton said it?s possible the Bucs could jump ship and be rescued all within weeks.

?It could be done by the end of the month conceivably, depending on the enthusiasm of whatever conference,? he said. ?We have to have a home by next July or we?ll be independent. And for a school our size, that?s certainly not a winner.?

From the tone of these quotes it seems that whatever ETSU/OVC is going to do their going to do it quick. That is good because it gives TSU the chance to factor all this into the conference feasibility study.

l

Originally posted by HORNETSWARM

Jacksonville brings more fans to Huntsville than any team AAMU faces.. even SU. and everytime AAMU goes to Jacksonville it is a sell out crowd.... they have a nice stadium that seats around 20,000. I cant speak on their other games though.

How much money would ETSU save being in the OVC vs. SoCon? Enough to possibly save fb? or cut the deficit?

Expansion on the horizon for OVC

Roar Man what do you think?

Expansion on the horizon for OVC

RICHMOND
By Nathan Hutchinson

http://www.richmondregister.com/search.cfm?search=detail&ID=6925

Expansion, corporate sponsorships and television contracts were the main topics of discussion when the Ohio Valley Conference?s new commissioner made his first trip to Eastern Kentucky University.

Jon Steinbrecher shared his vision of what the future holds for EKU and the other members of the nation?s eighth-oldest Division I athletic conference Monday in Richmond.

Of all the issues facing the OVC, the possible expansion of the conference is a major priority for Steinbrecher and his staff. The OVC recently added a pair of schools, Jacksonville State and Sanford, bringing the league?s current total to 11. Steinbrecher said the conference is seriously considering adding a least one more school in the next few years.

?We would like to have 12 members,? Steinbrecher said. ?Who that other school will be is not yet defined.?
Even though East Tennessee State and a number of other schools across the region would appear to be a good fit for the OVC?s expansion plans, Steinbrecher said he isn?t ready to start handing out invitations just yet. The commissioner would like to see a list of perspective members created in the coming months, followed by a deliberate and in-depth selection process.

?We are not in any hurry either,? he said. ?We have 11 solid members right now.?

If the OVC does expand, the conference may have to realign or start divisional play in a number of sports.
With 12 basketball programs, the conference would likely split into two divisions and schools would play an unbalanced schedule.

Another big-money sport will also play a big role in the OVC?s possible expansion. The conference currently has only nine schools that play Division I football (Morehead State and Austin Peay have teams but are non-scholarship institutions), and Steinbrecher said he would like to add at least one more football program.

In addition to expansion, visibility and the increased exposure of the OVC have been major priorities for Steinbrecher in his first two months on the job.

The league will unveil its new logo at the end of the month and is actively seeking new media and corporate partnerships.
The OVC already has television contracts with ESPN and Fox Sports Net and is looking to add affiliations with a least two other regional networks. That added exposure will not only improve the league?s visibility but help member schools with recruiting, Steinbrecher said.

?We are going to have a lot more (football) games on television,? he said. ?Somewhere between 12 and 14. I?m really excited about that.?

Steinbrecher said he is also excited about the possibility of adding at least one major corporate sponsor for the league. If Steinbrecher can secure a national or regional supporter, that company?s name will be associated with the OVC basketball tournament and other conference-related events and will bring in added revenue for all the member schools.

?You just have to knock on doors and say, ?This is what we have to offer,? Steinbrecher said.

Steinbrecher joined the OVC earlier this year after an extended tenure as the commissioner of the Mid-Continent Conference. He is currently in the process of visiting every conference school.

Jafus,

What the "F" is going on here. No way the OVC is going to add another PWCU to the Conference and expect TnSU to just sit with our hands folded.

?You just have to knock on doors and say, ?This is what we have to offer,? Steinbrecher said.

Judging from this quote, the OVC is getting ready to take on the role of a 1-AA (ACC)

If I were the commish of the SWAC or MEAC i'd be getting ready for an OVC overture to a couple of my schools, thats if the OVC has a desire to keep TSU as a member, on the otherhand, maybe the OVC could go after another PWCU as its way of running TSU off. Who knows?

This is "very" "very" interesting.

It is my dream to see TSU and Tuskegee join the SWAC one day. It can work. Lookahere:

East: The Walter Payton Division (Put BCF on the map)
JSU
ASU
Alcorn
Valley
AAMU
Tuskegee

West: The Eddie Robinson Division (Likewise)
TSU- Not geographically correct, but it works for the NFL.
SU
Grambling
PVAMU
UAPB
Tex. So.

Division names are subject to change, but this could really work. I think TSU would travel these distances 2-3 times a year.

Roar Man,

Jafus,

What the "F" is going on here. No way the OVC is going to add another PWCU to the Conference and expect TnSU to just sit with our hands folded.

You want to bet.

Judging from this quote, the OVC is getting ready to take on the role of a 1-AA (ACC)

If I were the commish of the SWAC or MEAC i'd be getting ready for an OVC overture to a couple of my schools, thats if the OVC has a desire to keep TSU as a member, on the otherhand, maybe the OVC could go after another PWCU as its way of running TSU off. Who knows?

This is "very" "very" interesting.

You are so frustrated with your situation that you are dreaming. You wishing, my brother. I will not happen. Even if the OVC put a significant package together, it very difficult for me to believe a SWAC program or even MEAC program would leave. It is very difficult for me to believe a HBCU administration would negotiate themselves in similar situation as Tennessee State University did.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Roar Man,

You want to bet.

Yep,

I double guarantee you TnSU will not stand pat in the OVC and play yet "another" PWCU.

This will not stand.

You are so frustrated with your situation that you are dreaming. You wishing, my brother. I will not happen. Even if the OVC put a significant package together, it very difficult for me to believe a SWAC program or even MEAC program would leave. It is very difficult for me to believe a HBCU administration would negotiate themselves in similar situation as Tennessee State University did.

Jafus,

Yes, Once again you're correct. "L" yes i'm frustrated..dreaming?? Maybe that too. LOL

But one thing you're not looking at is if the OVC were to court an HBCU or (TWO) to the OVC they would NOT BE ALONE as TnSU is.

Surely the prospect of playing in Nashville, home n home against TSU (fb) basketball (higher RPI) would not be dis-missed lightly.

Roar Man,

But one thing you're not looking at is if the OVC were to court an HBCU or (TWO) to the OVC they would NOT BE ALONE as TnSU is.

I understand this and it may be of noted. But once you look at it a bit closer it just does not add up and would be to many hurdles to climb in my opinion.

Question what HBCU programs (SWAC and/or MEAC) that OVC would serious have some interest that would return that interest to some degree. Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Jackson State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State.

Note: Grambling State and Southern are to far out of the footprint of the OVC and would create an imediate problem with OVC automatic bid for the NCAA Division I AA play-offs.

This same problem would exist would Alabama State. So, that move becomes is more highly unlikely.

I am pretty close to Alabama A & M brass. I am very aware that they are very happy about their arrangement in the SWAC. So, again that makes this move highly unlikely as well.

South Carolina State, in my opinion it just does not fit. You are really starting to stretch the OVC footprint. I am not sure the rivalry between the Tennessee State and South Carolina State is that great. I guess the basketball coach situation and the two football games may help to some degree. Just seems like a reach.

North Carolina A & T State, in my opinion is very similar to South Carolina State break down above. Again your moving further outside of the natural footprint. I am not sure the rivalry between the Tennessee State and North Carolina A & T State is that great. I guess the two football games played recently may help to some degree. Those are quickly being removed. It should be noted that both head coaches that participated in those games have since left and moved on. Again, just seems like a reach.

Jackson State maybe. I am not sure how the administration thinks. I am aware that many alums and posters on this board like the idea of the play-offs. So they may have some interest in this like. But they are already have Tennessee State on the schedule. What other program in the OVC would they have in serious interest in playing?

Depending on the OVC schedule they could be in trouble of scheduling atleast one if not more of rivalry games against Grambling State, Southern, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State. This does not even count the rivalry that is quickly being built between Jackson State and Alabama A & M and Alabama State if you just listen to smack that goes back and for between these programs. I do not see it happening.

Kentucky State maybe another option. But you are talking about up grading that program from Division II to Division I AA. I am nt sure if this is enough to actually satisfy the appetite of those Tennessee State fans that interested in their programs participating in more games against HBCU programs.

I think the OVC is looking at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga or maybe trying to rebuild that bridge back with Western Kentucky, help move Kentucky State up from the Division II, SIAC, or some other PWC Division II program that may have some interest in moving up i.e North Alabama.

Who knows?

But, another thing that must be considered that I believe many of the HBCU programs mention above beside Kentucky State will seriously keep an eye on Florida A & M and their mov to Division I A. I think many of the programs have either openly talked about the interest and study or such a move or at least been link in programs that would fit in the HBCU Division I A Superconference. So, I think this is move to watch and the direction these programs will look to move instead of the OVC.

Surely the prospect of playing in Nashville, home n home against TSU (fb) basketball (higher RPI) would not be dis-missed lightly.

I am not sure the OVC commissioner views the same problems that you may view with adding an additional PWC football participating programs into OVC. Especially if you president, athletic director, and/or sports information director has not shared or voiced any serious concerns.

Roar Man,

Jackson State maybe. I am not sure how the administration thinks. I am aware that many alums and posters on this board like the idea of the play-offs. So they may have some interest in this like. But they are already have Tennessee State on the schedule. What other program in the OVC would they have in serious interest in playing?

A lot of us would rather be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean we'd be interested in a move to the OVC. It seems to be a dead conference.

Off topic: what happens if a school that's eligible for the SCG opts instead for the playoffs?

Kool-Aid2K1,

A lot of us would rather be in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean we'd be interested in a move to the OVC. It seems to be a dead conference.

Point well taken. I have tried to share this with Roar Man and I think he understands that, but again with his frustration he tends to try to look at what might happen and benefit Tennessee State on the bright side, in my humble opinion. I can almost asure you that if he had his choice. Tennessee State would be gone from the OVC, not yesterday, but last year.

Someone posted on the board that three teams have interest in joining the SWAC. I am not sure how accurate this statement is. But, I know for sure one programs that is interested in joining the SWAC and they have talked about it openly in the media (Langston University). I am not sure of the SWAC position of this program.

I almost sure about the second program, because I have also scene their overtures in the media, as well (Savannah State University). I am not sure of the SWAC position on this program, as well.

The third one I am not sure, but I suspect it is between two programs, but I have not scene either profess this in any public media (Tennessee State Univerity and Tuskegee University).

Remember Centenary had an interest at one time. They have since join a different conference.

For all I know these programs may not be three that the gentlemen was referencing to in his comments of three schools interesting gaining membership into the SWAC.

So all of these moves as the jockey and conference position themselves will all be very interesting to follow.

Off topic: what happens if a school that's eligible for the SCG opts instead for the playoffs?

I am not sure, but I would think that the SWAC bylaws would prohibit such a scenario.

As far as the NCAA views it. The program would have petition the NCAA so they would be aware of this scenario prior to the start of the season.

Currently, the SWAC and NCAA have it set-up that beside the Alabama State, Grambling State, and Southern and whatever two teams participating in the SWAC Championship Game are eligible for an at-large bid to the play-offs.

In my opinion, we just need to get a host of our programs to be more competitive and consistant in their non-conference games and we will have an opportunity for a program or two to earn an at-large bid to the play-offs.

With Florida A & M University moving to NCAA Division I A level, that provides an additional opportunity for programs to earn an automatic bids that they would often receive if they did not win the MEAC out right.

Roar Man,

I understand this and it may be of noted. But once you look at it a bit closer it just does not add up and would be to many hurdles to climb in my opinion.

Question what HBCU programs (SWAC and/or MEAC) that OVC would serious have some interest that would return that interest to some degree. Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Jackson State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State.

Note: Grambling State and Southern are to far out of the footprint of the OVC and would create an imediate problem with OVC automatic bid for the NCAA Division I AA play-offs.

This same problem would exist would Alabama State. So, that move becomes is more highly unlikely.

I am pretty close to Alabama A & M brass. I am very aware that they are very happy about their arrangement in the SWAC. So, again that makes this move highly unlikely as well.

South Carolina State, in my opinion it just does not fit. You are really starting to stretch the OVC footprint. I am not sure the rivalry between the Tennessee State and South Carolina State is that great. I guess the basketball coach situation and the two football games may help to some degree. Just seems like a reach.

North Carolina A & T State, in my opinion is very similar to South Carolina State break down above. Again your moving further outside of the natural footprint. I am not sure the rivalry between the Tennessee State and North Carolina A & T State is that great. I guess the two football games played recently may help to some degree. Those are quickly being removed. It should be noted that both head coaches that participated in those games have since left and moved on. Again, just seems like a reach.

Depending on the OVC schedule they could be in trouble of scheduling atleast one if not more of rivalry games against Grambling State, Southern, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State. This does not even count the rivalry that is quickly being built between Jackson State and Alabama A & M and Alabama State if you just listen to smack that goes back and for between these programs. I do not see it happening.

Kentucky State maybe another option. But you are talking about up grading that program from Division II to Division I AA. I am nt sure if this is enough to actually satisfy the appetite of those Tennessee State fans that interested in their programs participating in more games against HBCU programs.

I think the OVC is looking at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga or maybe trying to rebuild that bridge back with Western Kentucky, help move Kentucky State up from the Division II, SIAC, or some other PWC Division II program that may have some interest in moving up i.e North Alabama.

Who knows?

But, another thing that must be considered that I believe many of the HBCU programs mention above beside Kentucky State will seriously keep an eye on Florida A & M and their mov to Division I A. I think many of the programs have either openly talked about the interest and study or such a move or at least been link in programs that would fit in the HBCU Division I A Superconference. So, I think this is move to watch and the direction these programs will look to move instead of the OVC.

I am not sure the OVC commissioner views the same problems that you may view with adding an additional PWC football participating programs into OVC. Especially if you president, athletic director, and/or sports information director has not shared or voiced any serious concerns.

Good points Jafus!

I hope you are right on the OVC commissoner too, because if he thinks TnSU is going to stand around and let the OVC take away another one of our "traditional" oponnets..he is crazy.

I sent TSU's AD an e-mail yesterday..being that TSU has a date with the NCAA, Aug 8th about the basketball allegations, and now THIS mess, I know her hands are full, and she hasn't responded back to me yet.

However, (looking at the bright side again) LOL) This "public" announcment from the OVC office couldn't have come at a better time because it gives the ongoing TnSU (conference feasibility study) more to go on.

I'm beginning to like this OVC commissioner, He might have just played right into the TnSU supporters that wan't to make a move out of the OVC's hands. :D

Back