New criteria for NIT's 40-team field.

Re: Regular Season Basketball Champ will receive tourney bid to NCAA or NIT

OnlySU said:
What happens if you win both ??
You go to the big dance....... If you have a choice, a team will pick the big dance. The NIT is less money and the same chance of us winning.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Regular Season Basketball Champ will receive tourney bid to NCAA or NIT

OnlySU said:
What happens if you win both ??
Then you go to the "Big Dance" and the SWAC won't have a representative in the NIT (unless they receive an at-large bid).

NIT OR NCAA Tournament(Play-in Game)

Ok with the regular season champion(realistically it will be SU) being invited to the NIT if it fails to win the conference championship, I think that team will be better off than going to the NCAA. First you have to deal with that nonsense of the play in game(which no one pays attention to) and if by chance you win, your reward is being trounced by a Duke or Villanova. I think we will do better in the NIT.

Re: NIT OR NCAA Tournament(Play-in Game)

sujagbr said:
Ok with the regular season champion(realistically it will be SU) being invited to the NIT if it fails to win the conference championship, I think that team will be better off than going to the NCAA. First you have to deal with that nonsense of the play in game(which no one pays attention to) and if by chance you win, your reward is being trounced by a Duke or Villanova. I think we will do better in the NIT.

You just simply deal with the cards you're dealt and not worry about who you play. Because at this point you're just trying to get money for your school and conference and show that you deserve to be there.

Re: NIT OR NCAA Tournament(Play-in Game)

I agree but I rather see us go deep in the NIT, where we at least stand a legitimate chance rather than getting trounced in the NCAA,IF we get passed the play-in game.

I know the play in game is not ideal but at least it is a national tv game on espn and the only game that night. the bad part for the swac is that the swac tourney finishes on march 8th, the play in game is on the 14th. so there is no time to rest, scout your opponent. for instance if espn is right and they play belmont, their conference tourney is ends march 4th. they'll be rested and ready to go. even if the swac has a better team (which there is a good chance any swac school could be them) su, gram, bama state would be dog tired after just having played 3 games in 4 days.

the swac needs to move the tourney up a few days so teams can be competitive in the tourney. even if it cost them live tv for the swac championship, the teams will be rested when they have to go to the play in game and have a legit shot to win. that'll do more for the conference than con champ. game on tv on selection sunday.

oh yeah, if you saw del state almost hand duke their head last year you know that good coaching and a willingness to think/play outside the box can do wonders. if you recall del state realized that duke likes to go man to man exclusively so they put 5 ball handlers on the floor. who ever dukes big man guarded they'd iso and go one on one. it worked great. duke couldn't handle it and went zone late in the 2nd half. the game was still under 10 points. del state didn't have anyone that could make a 3 pointer and they collapsed w/ duke in the zone. forest-riley would destroy that zone, hayles would kill it, trotter and ford would have a field day.

J J Reddick is the only person for that Duke that brought that to where they are now. If SU contain Reddick (I know they want because a Freshamn killed them)then Duke will possibly lose. I know Sean Dockery is a 3 point shooter, but him & Reddick vs C.A & D Smith. he!! A 14 point lost to Oklahome not bad, but like everyone says It's any given night for anyone. Texas vs Oklahoma St, Florida vs Arkansas. :nod:

Jag-BR said:
J J Reddick is the only person for that Duke that brought that to where they are now. If SU contain Reddick (I know they want because a Freshamn killed them)then Duke will possibly lose. I know Sean Dockery is a 3 point shooter, but him & Reddick vs C.A & D Smith. he!! A 14 point lost to Oklahome not bad, but like everyone says It's any given night for anyone. Texas vs Oklahoma St, Florida vs Arkansas. :nod:

Keepy thinking that foolishness and see don't Shelden Williams destroy ya'll.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
Keepy thinking that foolishness and see don't Shelden Williams destroy ya'll.
I know about S.W. He is good, but I don't think he will destroy destroy SU.

The only good thing abount playing Duke is that Duke has no frontcourt depth. If (and this is a big if) SU can get Williams & McRoberts into foul trouble, they would have a legitimate chance.....

UAPB '97 said:
The only good thing abount playing Duke is that Duke has no frontcourt depth. If (and this is a big if) SU can get Williams & McRoberts into foul trouble, they would have a legitimate chance.....
Now we are talking. Sheldon Williams always gets in foul trouble. he can pick up 4 fouls in 1 period. Don't know about McRoberts. Cip, and J.C will take over if this happens. It's hard to get J.J Reddick in foul trouble. He shoots most outside. He never drives in the lane.

Jag-BR said:
Now we are talking. Sheldon Williams always gets in foul trouble. he can pick up 4 fouls in 1 period. Don't know about McRoberts. Cip, and J.C will take over if this happens. It's hard to get J.J Reddick in foul trouble. He shoots most outside. He never drives in the lane.
If the stars are aligned right, and Redick happens to be cold from the outside, it could be a banner day for the SWAC.....

UAPB '97 said:
If the stars are aligned right, and Redick happens to be cold from the outside, it could be a banner day for the SWAC.....
This probably will never happen. This guy is for real. But I wouldn't mind C.A and D showing out with Reddick. This guy attempts about 11 3's and make 6 of them. Against Georgetown he had 41 points, and they still lost. Sheldon Williams had 4 fouls. :nod: :lol:. Duke probably is number 1,2, or 3, but If you take Reddick away from them they will be nothing. :nod:

Jag-BR said:
This probably will never happen. This guy is for real. But I wouldn't mind C.A and D showing out with Reddick. This guy attempts about 11 3's and make 6 of them. Against Georgetown he had 41 points, and they still lost. Sheldon Williams had 4 fouls. :nod: :lol:. Duke probably is number 1,2, or 3, but If you take Reddick away from them they will be nothing. :nod:
If you have enough long, tall athletic cats, you can shut Redick down. Look at how Memphis did him (only 9 shot attempts).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
UAPB '97 said:
If you have enough long, tall athletic cats, you can shut Redick down. Look at how Memphis did him (only 9 shot attempts).
Probably #33. Him and J.J Reddick are what and what. although J J is fast, and shoots more, and have more points. Everyone knows what D, and C.A can do once they get adjusted to them goals. :jump: :jump:

NIT To Take SWAC and MEAC Teams.....

http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/1229/utb1229.htm

Has anyone heard anything on this????? My understanding is whoever is the Conference Champion or the runner up in the SWAC/MEAC will get the automatic invite from The NIT Committee?? If this is true, does it start this year????

"NIT TO TAKE CHAMPS: Regular season men's basketball champions in the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference and the Southwestern Athletic Conference will now be guaranteed postseason play after the National Invitational Tournament changed its rules to give automatic bids to regular season winners in the 31 NCAA Div. I conferences. The NCAA Tournament currently gives automatic bids to the MEAC and SWAC tournament winners and no team from the MEAC or SWAC has received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. That means that teams that do the work to win regular season titles but are upset in conference tournaments are pretty much left with nowhere to go. That changes now. "The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," said NIT selection committee chair, C.M. Newton. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be _ a reward for success throughout the regular season."

Re: NIT To Take SWAC and MEAC Teams.....

I think that is correct. The NCAA has purchased the NIT, so the NCAA is running everything.

To be honest, the most vulnerable out of the projected top seeds are Duke and Villanova, because they rely heavily on 3's, and UConn showed you how to handle Nova by swatting all of those driving guards. The biggest things with SWAC schools is that they don't be defeated before they get on the court. Don't be scared. I just hate to see a team run up and down the SWAC and then get to the tournament and act like they have never played ball a day in their life.

Back