New criteria for NIT's 40-team field.

PV-PRIDE

February 16, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT's 40-team field.

The changes, announced Thursday, come less than a month before the NIT selection committee meets to select the field for the first time since the tournament was purchased by the NCAA.

The committee is comprised of former Division I coaches, including Naismith Memorial Hall of Famers Dean Smith and chairman C.M. Newton. The other members are Don DeVoe, Reggie Minton, Jack Powers and Carroll Williams.

In the past, a team had to win at least half its games to be chosen for the NIT.

The regular-season champions of the 31 Division I conferences not in the NCAA's field of 65 will be invited.

"The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," Newton said. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be -- a reward for success throughout the regular season."

The field will be announced March 12, hours after the NCAA field is revealed.

The 40 teams will be seeded and the higher seeds will host games as they advance unless there are extenuating logistical circumstances.

Opening-round play begins on campus sites on March 14 with the second round starting on March 17 and the quarterfinals on March 21.

The semifinals and finals will be played at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 28 and 30.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It seems as if the regular season Champions will have somewhere to go if they don't make the NCAA tournament now.

stripes said:
When was the last time a HBCU played in the NIT?

I believe Jackson State in 1993 may have been the last SWAC team. That year they beat UCONN in the first round and fell in the 2nd round (lol..........looks like AAMU don't have to wait on the call if the basketball school ever wins the regular season championship again). :lol: :emlaugh:

stripes said:
When was the last time a HBCU played in the NIT?

It was JSU. Jackson State made the NIT in 1993. The Tigers beat Connecticut on the road and lost a hard fought game to Southwest Missouri State (Mo. State) at home in the second round. Lindsey Hunter was the star of that team. That same year Southern U. won its first round NCAA game.
:D That was a good year for the SWAC. I love this change in the NIT. It's great for small schools.

Since the NCAA owns the NIT, I wonder will this effect some of the bubble teams. The committee may go in thinking that since this team is on a certain side of the country they should go into the NIT instead of the NCAA to balance the brackets. Although there are 2 diferent committees, I bet the NIT committee get some info on which teams will be out of the NCAA before it is formally announce.

This could also be a way for them to get rid of that play-in game and let that last at large birth go to the NIT.

Fiyah said:
This could also be a way for them to get rid of that play-in game and let that last at large birth go to the NIT.
but the play-in game has never consisted of those last at-large teams to get in.
even though that's exactly who should have to "play their way in". Not teams with the automatic bids.

Thats what I'm talking about, getting rid of the last at large team and leaving all the automatic bids in the field of 64.

Excellent news.

I still feel awfully sorry for the SWAC member who'll be sacrificial lamb for <b>Duke</b>. Duke's gonna' bust 100 on some SWAC team. :smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JROCK said:
(lol..........looks like AAMU don't have to wait on the call if the basketball school ever wins the regular season championship again). :lol: :emlaugh:

Dayum you, JROCK! :fart:

This is great for the SWAC. Finally a rule that benefits us.

So I guess all SU needs to do is go 3-2 in the last 5 games for a guaranteed slot in NIT ;)

Panthro said:
Excellent news.

I still feel awfully sorry for the SWAC member who'll be sacrificial lamb for <b>Duke</b>. Duke's gonna' bust 100 on some SWAC team. :smh:

are you talking about the same duke squad that had to fight for it's life against del state last year?

as for the nit it is indeed good news for southern, it might even cause more upsets in the smaller one bid tourney b/c the reg season champ might relax a bit knowing they've already punch their ticket, albeit to the jr prom and not the sr.

Regular Season Basketball Champ will receive tourney bid to NCAA or NIT

The NCAA announced that all regular season conference champions will receive a tourney bid. If the regular season champ fails to win their conference tournament then they will get a NIT invite.

Re: Regular Season Basketball Champ will receive tourney bid to NCAA or NIT

Chip Dawg said:
The NCAA announced that all regular season conference champions will receive a tourney bid. If the regular season champ fails to win their conference tournament then they will get a NIT invite.

Source of your information please...

Re: Regular Season Basketball Champ will receive tourney bid to NCAA or NIT

What happens if you win both ??

Back