NCAA To Crack Down On Spearing This Season

THAMES

Posted 8/14/2005 11:53 PM

NCAA wants spearing on the endangered species list

By Sal Ruibal and Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

I see the NCAA is cracking down on Spearing this year, which is a good thing. Does anyone know how the SWAC stacks up overall when it comes to throwing penalty flags? Do SWAC officials throw more flags or does it just seem that way?

---------

The NCAA is cracking down on one of the most dangerous acts on the football field: Spearing.

The NCAA previously defined spearing as "the intentional use of the helmet (including the face mask) in an attempt to punish an opponent."

"Intent" has been dropped: The new rule says spearing is the use of the helmet (including the face mask) "to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him. ... No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet in an attempt to punish him."

What separates spearing from other illegal hits is the potential for both players involved to suffer paralyzing ? or even lethal ? injuries.

Despite the dangers, spearing seldom was called by game officials because the NCAA rule said the act had to be intentional. Officials were hesitant to interpret "intent" on the field.

According to NCAA statistics, spearing is called an average of once every 50 college football games. Holding penalties came one out of every six calls; spearing was one out of every 833......

link ...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-08-14-ncaa-spearing-rule_x.htm?csp=22_tns

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I do not want to sound like I am a saint. But this should have been outlawed over 25 years ago.

Back